A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones
This topic is about The World of Ice & Fire
World of Ice and Fire

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JaphiaHart (new) - added it

JaphiaHart | 332 comments “The World of Ice and Fire” is written from the perspective of a new character named Maester Yandel, one of the many maesters of the Citadel. Yandel’s goal is to chart the “history of deeds gallant and wicked, peoples familiar and strange, and lands near and far.” In other words, it’s not Martin telling you everything he knows about Westeros; it’s a character within the world of Westeros telling you everything he knows about Westeros.

Which, in some cases, is not much at all. Gotta love those unreliable narrators.

Am I the only person not excited about a "History" written from the perspective of a character that doesn't know anything?

What's the point? I feel like GRRM is simply trying to throw more mis-information out there to try to throw fans off. There are a lot of plot twists and histories that people have figured out and he's trying to buy time so the audience doesn't get bored before the last book.

It seems pretty cheap. I hope we at some point get a history written by GRRM. Instead of characters that don't know anything.

Mitali | 117 comments The novellas 'The Princess and the Queen' and 'The Rogue Prince' are also written from the perspective of a Maester who doesn't know everything that happened. The latter especially has an unreliable narrator - there are 2 or sometimes even 3 different versions of what happened in some cases. Speaking only for myself, I enjoyed it. In a way, it was almost like real history - after all, everything that we think we know about history is in fact just what someone chose to write down; there's no guarantee it's true or that it's the only correct interpretation of the events in question.

There's no doubt that GRRM is buying some time and trying to placate fans by putting out 'The World of Ice and Fire' right now. However - once again, speaking only for myself - I love his world so much that I have no problem with it. Of course, I'd prefer that he work on WoW, not other stuff. But if he isn't, I'm perfectly happy to accept 'The World of Ice and Fire' as a consolation prize.

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments I don't know, I kinda like the idea.

Look at all we know about Westeros, and most of that is from the dialogues and thoughts of the people who live there. If this book maintains a similar point of view on that land and that history, it would probably make it feel familiar and closer to ASOIAF.

Also, it would be like reading a book from Westeros. A book that, for example, Tyrion might have read.

I think a book related by George R.R. Martin wouldn't have the same taste as one related by one of his characters, even if it's someone we don't know.

ASOIAF is told by those "unreliable narrators" (that most of the time aren't that unreliable anyway, except for some situations in which we know they're mistaken) and I like the idea that TWOIAF follows that same path.

message 4: by JaphiaHart (new) - added it

JaphiaHart | 332 comments I suppose my issue with it is his equating it to the lotr silmarrilion. Which was a book that answered questions not really raised more. I'm still planning to read it. I would have enjoyed it more at the end of the series if it were filled with some definitive answers then.

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments I don't think it would raise more question. It's about history after all, even if it's from someone's point of view. I think it's more about the way it's written that the content itself.

I understand that this way it can't have as many details and answers as The Silmarillion, but maybe that's part of what makes it special.

I don't know, I'm trying to be optimistic. I guess we'll know after reading it if the point of view affects the content. I'm hoping it doesn't.

PS: If the book arrives when Amazon said it would, I'm gonna receive it really close to my birthday. So it's my gift to myself :D

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments I'm picking up my copy on the 4thof Nov. it's waiting for me at the store!!!
I'm excited. I need my fix! This will have to do till I find more "Dunk and a Egg" graphic novels...till WoW comes out... ( heavy sigh)

message 7: by __taansch (new)

__taansch i'm going to get it tomorrow and i'm also pretty excited :D i would rather read WoW but i'm glad that i can read more about the asoiaf world until it gets released (wonder when that will be)... and i also think it's nice that the history is narrated by a maester.. kinda feels like we hold the real thing in our hands :)

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I'm going to order it from Amazon. I am quite interested in the history of Westeros and I will finally be able to throw away those ratty maps I printed up to help me track the travels of all the characters.

message 9: by JaphiaHart (new) - added it

JaphiaHart | 332 comments I'm ordering it as well. I can't wait to read it

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Eyehavenofilter...This will have to do till I find more "Dunk and a Egg" graphic novels... Soooo i am also on board with the graphic novel series i have not read the Dunk and Egg tales other then in graphic novel form so I have the first Two in the series and am waiting on the Third.... Is this the same situation you are in? The third has not been released has it? Heard a date??

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments I really love the illustration style in the Dunk and Egg graphic Novels...so different from the others. Very colorful and they actually hold some interesting little tidbits if you read closely, and are observant, you might find out some secrets you never knew before.

Petra | 7 comments I just finished reading it. It's great and the illustrations are awesome, but I expected more mysteries to be solved, and it did raise some new questions. Nonetheless it had some new information especially about the lands in Essos, but again it's all pretty unreliable.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 800 comments Petra wrote: "I just finished reading it. It's great and the illustrations are awesome, but I expected more mysteries to be solved, and it did raise some new questions. Nonetheless it had some new information es..."

The artwork is brilliant and the Iron Throne. Is this how George imagined it? I have to admit I prefer the TV version...can't wait to start reading it.

message 14: by N (new) - added it

N | 234 comments I don't know about the American version but the Australian one is HUGE like an art book - I didn't buy it as it looks so uncomfortable to read - oh and it was $50! I suppose that puts me into the *no a serious fan* category, I want to know what happens next ffs! :)

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments I got a b&n coupon and 20%off so all in all I paid 30 bucks it is a huge art book I wasn't expecting that and you are wrong my friend 50 bucks is a lot wait until u can get it cheaper that does not make you any less of a die hard fan!

Cheryl Hall | 11 comments I'm enjoying it so far, although I am flicking through it rather than reading it in chronological order.

I'm glad that it's answered some minor questions that I had such as (view spoiler)

message 17: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Al-Midfa Ok so I finally got it in the mail! It's freakin huge, HUGE! and printed in China? anyone else?

lol

message 18: by N (new) - added it

N | 234 comments Oooh bargain @michael! May put it on my Christmas list - then it will be free :)

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I ordered mine, I should have it in my hands by next weekend.

message 20: by Mohammed (new) - added it

Mohammed Rabbani (mohammed_rabbani) | 16 comments Have hardly read a word yet. Just flicked through, felt the pages, smelt the book (that's not weird right?) and gazed at the art work.
It is a beautiful book.

message 21: by Remy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Oh. My. God.

I just received my copy. It arrived during the weekend at my work, so I picked it up from reception shortly after I arrived, and I'm in love with this book. As an ASOIAF fan, a graphic designer and a professional illustrator, this has caught my attention in three different ways.

The art is freaking beautiful, better than I expected even after what I've seen online. The design is great, I wish I could design a book like this one, it would be a dream job. And the content... I've barely taken a look but the titles are giving me an idea of the themes and I'm already hooked.

I gotta finish the book I'm reading now, by Stephen King, so I can start reading this one soon.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 800 comments Remy wrote: "Oh. My. God.

I just received my copy. It arrived during the weekend at my work, so I picked it up from reception shortly after I arrived, and I'm in love with this book. As an ASOIAF fan, a graphi..."

Isn't it amazing! And to see how Martin envisioned the Iron Throne...though I still prefer the TV version. I love the book! Well worth the price...

Petra | 7 comments Remy wrote: "Oh. My. God.

I just received my copy. It arrived during the weekend at my work, so I picked it up from reception shortly after I arrived, and I'm in love with this book. As an ASOIAF fan, a graphi..."

It's so beautiful and interesting. Happy reading I hope you enjoy it as much as I did .

Petra | 7 comments Rebecca wrote: "Remy wrote: "Oh. My. God.

I just received my copy. It arrived during the weekend at my work, so I picked it up from reception shortly after I arrived, and I'm in love with this book. As an ASOIAF ..."

I agree 99%. I think the show's version is prettier, but Martin's version is scary and asymmetric, just as described in the books :)

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 800 comments Petra wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Remy wrote: "Oh. My. God.

I just received my copy. It arrived during the weekend at my work, so I picked it up from reception shortly after I arrived, and I'm in love with this boo..."

I agree. I'd be too scared to sit on it..I mean you wouldn't want to miss the seat lol....*ouch*

Petra | 7 comments Rebecca wrote: "Petra wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Remy wrote: "Oh. My. God.

I just received my copy. It arrived during the weekend at my work, so I picked it up from reception shortly after I arrived, and I'm in love..."

lol exactly, come to think of it I don't understand why half of Westeros are fighting to sit on that thing :P

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 800 comments Petra wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Petra wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Remy wrote: "Oh. My. God.

I just received my copy. It arrived during the weekend at my work, so I picked it up from reception shortly after I arrived,..."

LOL exactly!

message 28: by Remy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Well, it definitely serves it purpose. Nobody could rest easy siting on that thing.

Especially a male. I know I wouldn't wanna put my private and fragile... parts, on something made of swords.

I've seen that picture of the throne before, but it's cool that they included it in the book.

One more thing: I loved the last phrase on the back cover: "the pen is mightier than a storm of swords" XD

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I was at my sister's house yesterday and caught a peek at her husband's copy. This looks awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on it. My birthday is next week and everyone has been put on notice (hope I don't wind up getting multiple copies)!

Oh, yeah, I guess I need to throw in the obligatory "why is he doing stuff like this instead of working on Winds of Winter?!?", harumph, grumble, grumble...

message 30: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I checked my package tracker on Amazon as soon as I fired up my computer. It left the carrier facility at 6:07 am and is on its way to me. I will have it in my hands tonight.

Silvana (silvaubrey) It's a very interesting book. I find myself skipping some parts that I already know (including all the stuff about Tpatq and Rogue Prince, Roberts Rebellion) but there are a lot of new stuff. I especially like the history and background of places, cities, civilization. And the stories of the Targaryen Kings, wow, just wow. The Houses are hits and misses I think. In my first read, the Lannister is probably the most interesting (since it has Tywin's super awesome story), the Arryns (since it had great battles and heroes) and the Martells (since they are my fave so I'm biased). The Greyjoys section is just about rapes and plunders - what else is new (the Red Kraken is just meh) and the Storm Kings/Baratheon made me yawn. The Free Cities part is great, love all the tidbits but I wish he explained more about the Faceless Men, not just one paragraph saying basically they're mysterious. For content, it's 4/5. Or 3.75/5 if you read all the books, prequels, and So Spake Martin/awoiaf. The artwork is amazing though, so all in all this book deserves at least 4 stars.

PS: in the apoiaf podcast if I'm not mistaken, Elio and Linda said some stuff are the maesters interpretation and might not be canon. It worried me a bit. How do I know which one is which? Then, I realize this is a fake history. So yeah, who cares, really :p

Silvana (silvaubrey) Anyone read the part on the Rhoynar wars against the Valyrian Freehold? They got water wizards that could kill dragons! How sweet is that. I wish the Dornish had that kind of magic as well, or at least the Greenblood orphans.

Stephanie | 129 comments I liked the Rhoynish part too, the ruins Tyrion floated through were so mysterious

message 34: by JaphiaHart (new) - added it

JaphiaHart | 332 comments To me that's a cop-out. If it's written by the author of the story. It should be cannon. The author writing the from a biased pov.... My thinking just isn't that meta.

If GRRM writes something it's cannon. Particularly if it's supplemental information outside of the primary storyline. Sigh. But I can't wait to read it. I'm just loathe to gather information when I can't trust the source.

Mitali | 117 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "To me that's a cop-out. If it's written by the author of the story. It should be cannon. The author writing the from a biased pov.... My thinking just isn't that meta.

If GRRM writes something it..."

I'm about 20% of the way into the book ... so far, I haven't come across anything that's open to interpretation. It all seems to be canon. Of course, so far, it's all still centuries before the events of ASOIAF, so there's not much issue of anything in these chapters giving away potential twists in the upcoming books of ASOIAF. I suppose it's the later stuff that might be 'non-canonical', such as the events surrounding Robert's Rebellion.

But on the whole, I think that this book can be taken as a fairly accurate history of the world of the ASOIAF books (btw, it's really annoying that the world doesn't have a name of its own, so we have to keep referring to it in this roundabout way ... can't we just call it 'Worldoros' or something like that? ;) ).

message 36: by Remy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Mitali wrote: "JaphiaHart wrote: "To me that's a cop-out. If it's written by the author of the story. It should be cannon. The author writing the from a biased pov.... My thinking just isn't that meta.
If GRRM ..."

It's the World of Ice and Fire, that's the world's name: TWOIAF

XD

Silvana (silvaubrey) The Known Worldoros hahaha

But yeah, I am still going to treat the information as canon until George himself said otherwise.

Currently rereading it. I keep recommending it to my friends who even haven't read the books and only watch the TV show. So far some are already interested.

Bonnick | 9 comments I think this book confirmed that Jaehearys I was the greatest King westeros will ever have. Shame Baelor did live to get a try.

Mitali | 117 comments Bonnick wrote: "I think this book confirmed that Jaehearys I was the greatest King westeros will ever have. Shame Baelor did live to get a try."

Yeah, Jaehaerys seems to have been an ideal king (apart from the bit where he passed up his granddaughter for the succession).

From the description of him in The Hedge Knight, Prince Baelor could have been just as great. What a pity he never got a chance.

I'm only about halfway through the Targaryen kings' histories, but it seems to me that Barristan's point about the gods flipping a coin every time a Targaryen is born seems to be about right: half the Targaryens seem to be maniacs and/or assholes of various degrees, while the other half seem to be pretty nice guys and good rulers.

Silvana (silvaubrey) I Love Baelor Breakspear. I wonder if he didn't die. Egg might not be King, so does his descendants and maybe the Targs are still ruling the continent.

Petra | 7 comments Silvana wrote: "I Love Baelor Breakspear. I wonder if he didn't die. Egg might not be King, so does his descendants and maybe the Targs are still ruling the continent."

I think that's a safe bet,Even if Aerys was just a little less crazy they would still be ruling. ( can I just say that in this book he seems crazier than ever?!)

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments Is this the new hard book that's been released? If so the drawings are amazing, well worth the purchase just to ogle at them!

message 43: by Untitled (new)

Untitled Mitali wrote: "Bonnick wrote: "I think this book confirmed that Jaehearys I was the greatest King westeros will ever have. Shame Baelor did live to get a try."

Yeah, Jaehaerys seems to have been an ideal king (a..."

Oh man, Baelor's death was horrible :( He really would've been up there with the greats.