♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

50 Questions > Question 11

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
How often do you agree with critics about a book?

message 2: by Colleen Marie (new)

Colleen Marie Zukowski (clevergirlfromgallifrey) Oh, I would say pretty much never. Haha. I take way more stock in what actual readers like me think over what a critic who is paid to be critical of something thinks.

message 3: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 3067 comments Well ...I do read critics but make my own opinion regarding the books I read. Critics are amusing. Their argumentive points are sometimes so funny and unrealistic that I sit and think were they understood what they were reading :P

message 4: by Arbaaz (new)

Arbaaz Khan (arbaazkhan1999) | 588 comments I never listens to the critics. I have the twilight series at home and i am not sure if i will like it or not but i will read it anyway.

message 5: by Helena (new)

Helena Buckley | 9 comments I usually hate stuff that everyone else loves and I hate it when people talk about books and films too much so I try not to listen to anyone unless I really respect their opinion.

message 6: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) I never listen ever read what critics have to say. It's all a bunch of crap so I just usually go in blind. It's best that way. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm guilty of liking NPR Book talks.

message 7: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Gorri (cdgorri) | 29 comments Depends. Sometimes they make sense others not so much. I just take what they say with a grain of salt after all it is all very subjective.

message 8: by Dr Rashmit (new)

Dr Rashmit Mishra (rashthedoctor) Ruchi wrote: "How often do you agree with critics about a book?"
i find people's choices differ ergo sometimes i agree sometimes i don't often though i do agree,but then again every book has it's praiser and it's naysayer

message 9: by Alok (new)

Alok (alokyadav) | 2 comments Reading critics could be interesting if you really want to see professional's opinion about the books you love.

But just for fun

message 10: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 15 comments Almost never, so I stopped reading them.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ramirez (melissaramirez) | 241 comments My honest opinion about professional critics?

They are boring, stick-up-their-butt people who get paid money to sit in a room and dissect, and nitpick over things. I'd like to see a professional book critic attempt to write a full-length book; or a movie critic produce a feature film!

It's much easier to nitpick and complain about someone's work, than it is to actually pick up a pen and try to write a book.
That said, I usually don't pay much attention to the so-called "professional reviews." I'd rather read the readers' or fans' reviews. :)

message 12: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Brasher | 40 comments I don't read a lot of professional critics, but I do read regular people's reviews on Goodreads and other book sites, and it's amazing what different opinions we all have.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie | 24 comments I think it really depends on the book, but most of the time I agree with the critics.

message 14: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline | 34 comments I tthink that it depends of my personal opinion. Also, I feel that if critics don't have an understandong of the book, they won't enjoy it.

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary Henson (garyalanhenson) | 36 comments I have to agree with most of the sentiments here. If the critic is just out to nitpick the book/movie, I make sure I ignore him/her next time.
If the critic tells me how the book/film entertained or affected him/her, I'll keep reading.
But I never take any critics suggestion to see or pass on a book/movie. I don't mind reading/watching something new and finding out I didn't like it. I can walk out or put the book down.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Very rarely. I find people have opinions far different from anyone else, and so I don't really rely on a critic's review, though I do enjoy reading them.

Deanna (A Novel Glimpse) (anovelglimpse) Hmmm...probably most of the time if it's a positive review.

message 18: by Nina (new)

Nina (niisku80) I usually don't read what critics or other people have said about a book, I want to form my own oppinion befor I see anybody elses.

message 19: by fureshiiness (new)

fureshiiness | 194 comments Not too often. I have proved many times that not all critically acclaimed books are worth reading. At least for me. To each their own.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I never, ever read criticisms before I read a book because I'm afraid of being swayed. But, afterwards, I find that I usually agree.

message 21: by Chelle (new)

Chelle  | 136 comments I read two books recently where I didn't agree at all and those books were Red Rain and Thirteen Reasons Why. Otherwise I'm really not sure how to answer this, I guess it's pretty much half and half; sometimes I agree, somtimes I don't.

message 22: by Cynora (new)

Cynora Every once in a while I agree with the critics but i don't read reviews very much.

message 23: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Almost never

message 24: by Akhil teja (new)

Akhil teja (akhilsayaawesomeeeeee) I never understand them .. I don't know why..

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) | 0 comments Rarely.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Never, I make my own option about things

message 27: by Roni (new)

Roni I don't typically read reviews. If a book looks interesting to me I read it.

message 28: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 31 comments Sometimes. I read the reviews but I never judge the book by the review. It might taint my own thoughts about my book but I try not to be swayed. If I agree I agree :)

message 29: by Blake (new)

Blake Murray hardly ever!! critics always rave about a book so I think it's going to be great, and then I read it and the book is awful, *cough cough* envy by Gregg Olsen

message 30: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 42 comments Sometimes, I try not to base a book as good or not by others views until I read the book myself because everyone is different and like different things, but I do take in the critic and decide from there if I want to read the book or not.

But then again when certain books have been so hyped and saying how awesome the book is and usually, for me that is, its not as good as people make it sounds or I don't understand why it was so hyped in the first place.

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma (e_loves_writing) | 133 comments I don't think I really ever look to see what critics think. I do look at readers on goodreads and see what they think because a critic can say whatever he or she wants and they still get paid but a reader is honest and true and doesn't get paid.

message 32: by Lauri (new)

Lauri Saplad (otwlauri) | 48 comments Probably not very often! I honestly don't pay them any mind...