Go Fug Yourself Book Club discussion

Past Threads > Characters you'd be friends with in real life

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieeveryday) | 115 comments I started thinking about this the other day - what book characters do you feel like you'd be friends with, if they existed in real life?

Off the top of my head:
Harry/Ron/Hermione from HP
Jennifer and Beth from Rainbow Rowell's Attachments
Hazel from The Fault in Our Stars
Daniel from The Shadow of the Wind

I know it's a weird question, but I just moved to a new city where I don't know anyone, and since I don't have real friends yet, book friends are a good substitute. Who are YOUR book friends?

message 2: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 331 comments Oooh! Good question! I'll have to think about that.

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte I'm only half way through but definitely Liesel from the book thief-hopefully thoughts won't change on that! Also Maddie from Code name Verity. Must be loads more but can't think! Agree with your Harry Potter choices!

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenniebee) | 12 comments Fun question! I think I'd also be friends with Fred/George from HP. Having trouble thinking of others, so I'll have to think about it.

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 331 comments I think Ginny from HP, she seems fun.

message 6: by Bonnie G. (last edited Oct 29, 2014 08:05PM) (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1296 comments Mod
Most of this seems to be YA, which I read little of, but I have literary friends in other genres:

Elizabeth Bennett-Darcy (maybe Lydia too, say what you will, she seems fun.)

I have always had a girlcrush on Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing and could spend all day snarking with her.

Atticus Finch...how I love him! We can be friends, or life partners...up to him.

And one less literary, I adore Tess Mohaghan from Laura Lippman's mysteries series. I totally want to hang with Tess.

One last one. Mary Roach. She is a real person, not a character, but since she is central to her books she is sort of a character and I want to move in and follow her everywhere.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth Bennett and Beatrice for sure!

Also:
Nomi from A Complicated Kindness
Franny from Franny and Zooey
The Schlegel sisters from Howards End
Reverend Ames from Gilead

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Hopefully other group members will know who I'm talking about!

Lee Scoresby and Iorek Byrnison from The Golden Compass
Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's
Roberta Muldoon from The World According to Garp
Midori from Norwegian Wood

And most recently, Regan from Fangirl. She was awesome.

message 9: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1296 comments Mod
Sophie wrote: "Hopefully other group members will know who I'm talking about!

Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's
Roberta Muldoon from The World Ac..."

I can't believe I forgot Roberta Muldoon. YES! Her!

Murakami's women scare me, including Midori. Everyone is a little too intense and suicidal for me to want a playdate, but they are interesting for sure. I am reading the new book btw, and it is wonderful so far (about 25% in)

Also, I feel better about including the flibbertigibbet Lydia Bennett if you are going to be hanging with a lady of the evening :)

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 34 comments I think I'd like Sophy from Georgette Heyer's The Grand Sophy, but only if I were much younger. I'd think she'd be a bit of an exhausting copmpanion now!

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenniebee) | 12 comments Sophie wrote: "And most recently, Regan from Fangirl. She was awesome."

Ooooh, yes she was very awesome. I want Rowell to write a sequel with her as the main character.

message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 331 comments Sophie wrote: "Hopefully other group members will know who I'm talking about!

..."

I'd be friends with them.

Bonnie noted that most of these are YA, but to be honest, I am really struggling to think of anyone I'd want to be friends with in adult fiction. They are all too busy or too tortured. Maybe Sookie Stackhouse? High chance of serious injury, but she's a loyal friend!

message 13: by Amy! (new)

Amy! (missamylibrarian) | 11 comments Well, I love all of Rainbow Rowell's adult characters, especially the ladies from Attachments.

In more YA, I need Zuzana from Daughter of Smoke & Bone in my life.

message 14: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieeveryday) | 115 comments In trying to think of non-YA characters … um …
R from Warm Bodies?
Allan from The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared?
Katey in Rules of Civility?

I don't know why, but there seem to be much fewer intrinsically likeable characters that are grown-ups? That sucks.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (faintingviolet) | 88 comments Alicia wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Hopefully other group members will know who I'm talking about!

..."

I'd be friends with them.

Bonnie noted that most of th..."

I'd be Sookie's friend, but only in the first half dozen books, after that it all went off the rails. :)

And all of Rowell's characters, particularly Regan.

message 16: by Megan (last edited Nov 01, 2014 03:00PM) (new)

Megan Amy! wrote: "Well, I love all of Rainbow Rowell's adult characters, especially the ladies from Attachments."

Oh yes, they'd be really fun to hang around with.

I always thought that I'd like to be friends with Ponyboy Curtis from The Outsiders. And obviously I'd have a crush on both his older brothers.

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenniebee) | 12 comments It's been a while since I read The Night Circus, but I think I would want to hang out with either of the main characters. Plus, if I was friends with them I'd presumably be able to visit the amazing night circus.

message 18: by annabel (new)

annabel I don't know that I would want to be friends, but I would love to hang with the March sisters for a day or two, in their later years. Also the Eight Cousins, they seem like fun people. (Louisa May Alcott)

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 20 comments Elizabeth Bennett for sure, as well as Anne Elliot from Persuasion. Anne certainly needed good friends for a while.

As long as we can time travel, then certainly I'd like to go to high school with Betsy Ray and her Crowd in the Betsy, Tacy, and Tib series.

Mma Precious Ramotswe from the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency is a warm and wise woman, and I can imagine drinking bush tea with her. I read recently about how HIV has devastated Botswana and thought of her and her friends. And as long as we're talking detectives, I'd like a knitting session or two with Miss Marple, but I'd be afraid to spend too much time with her - murders just seem to happen when she's around!

message 20: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieeveryday) | 115 comments Oooh, Maureen, you reminded me of one! I think it'd be kind of cool to hang out with Maisie Dobbs in the '20s. We'd solve mysteries together and wear kicky cloche hats.

message 21: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 331 comments Allie wrote: "Oooh, Maureen, you reminded me of one! I think it'd be kind of cool to hang out with Maisie Dobbs in the '20s. We'd solve mysteries together and wear kicky cloche hats."

While we're wearing good hats and solving mysteries, I'd also like to go for yum cha with Phryne Fisher.

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne Libera | 29 comments Yes to Betsy Ray. And I would love to hang out with Randy Melendy at the Four Story Mistake.

Also, Phillipa Somerville from the Lymond Chronicles.

message 23: by Darcie (new)

Darcie K (darciek) Allie wrote: "Oooh, Maureen, you reminded me of one! I think it'd be kind of cool to hang out with Maisie Dobbs in the '20s. We'd solve mysteries together and wear kicky cloche hats."

YES to Maisie Dobbs! Yes, please! We'd jet around town in her motorcar, make time for refreshments at the tea room, and visit Khan for illuminating meditation lessons!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

ISHMAEL

Third March Sister (thirdmarchsister) | 62 comments I would be friends with Phryne Fisher of the Phryne Fisher murder mysteries by Kerry Greenwood, set in Melbourne, Australia in the roaring 20's. And, I recommend the first two seasons of the "Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries" series, now available on DVD/blu-Ray and Netflix streaming, which is faithful to the books, delightful to watch, and definitely for adults only. I believe Fug Nationals will enjoy Miss Fisher's beautiful clothes and the sets and the humor and the characters and the issues and the refreshingly modern, unapologetically fierce femininity that Phryne, an amateur sleuth with more style in her little lacquered finger than any of the milquetoasts on such shows as Downton Abbey have, has demonstrated with panache and intelligence. A real feminist. Murder mysteries between the wars. A woman of means and substance using every opportunity that comes her way to make a difference and live a life well lived. FUN!