Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - Nov 2014 - Tim Myers

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Oct 27, 2014 11:53AM) (new)

Kimberly (gravy) Tim Myers is our Featured author for November.
His official website is http://timmyersfiction.com/.

Tim Myers is the author of dozens of short stories published in mystery magazines and anthologies. He lives with his family near the Blue Ridge Mountains he loves and writes about. He is the award-winning author of the Agatha nominated Lighthouse Inn mystery series as well as over seventy short stories. Tim has been a stay-at-home dad for the last twelve years, finding time for murder and mayhem whenever he can.

Tim also write under the pseudonyms: Jessica Beck, Elizabeth Bright, Chris Cavender, Melissa Glazer & Casey Mayes

As Tim Myers:
A Lighthouse Inn Mystery
Innkeeping with Murder
Reservations for Murder
Murder Checks Inn
Room for Murder
Booked for Murder
Key to Murder
Ring for Murder
Innkeeping with Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #1) by Tim Myers Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2) by Tim Myers Murder Checks Inn (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #3) by Tim Myers Room for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #4) by Tim Myers Booked for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #5) by Tim Myers Key to Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #6) by Tim Myers Ring for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #7) by Tim Myers

A Candlemaking Mystery
At Wicks End
Snuffed Out
Death Waxed Over
A Flicker of Doubt
At Wicks End (A Candlemaking Mystery, #1) by Tim Myers Snuffed Out by Tim Myers Death Waxed Over (A Candlemaking Mystery, #3) by Tim Myers A Flicker of Doubt (A Candlemaking Mystery, #4) by Tim Myers

A Soapmaking Mystery
Dead Men Don't Lye
A Pour Way to Dye
A Mold For Murder
Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1) by Tim Myers A Pour Way to Dye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #2) by Tim Myers A Mold For Murder (A Soapmaking Mystery, #3) by Tim Myers

As Jessica Beck:
Donut Shop Mystery
Glazed Murder
Fatally Frosted
Sinister Sprinkles
Evil Eclairs
Tragic Toppings
Killer Crullers
Drop Dead Chocolate
Powdered Peril
Illegally Iced
Deadly Donuts
Assault and Batter
Sweet Suspects
Deep Fried Homicide
Custard Crime
Lemon Larceny
Bad Bites: Donut Mystery #16
Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) by Jessica Beck Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery #2) by Jessica Beck Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery #3) by Jessica Beck Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4) by Jessica Beck Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5) by Jessica Beck Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6) by Jessica Beck Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery #7) by Jessica Beck Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8) by Jessica Beck Illegally Iced (Donut Shop Mystery, #9) by Jessica Beck Deadly Donuts (Donut Shop Mystery, #10) by Jessica Beck Assault and Batter (The Donut Mysteries #11) by Jessica Beck Sweet Suspects (The Donut Mysteries #12) by Jessica Beck Deep Fried Homicide (Donut Shop Mystery, #13) by Jessica Beck Custard Crime (Donut Shop Mystery #14) by Jessica Beck Lemon Larceny (The Donut Mysteries Book 15) by Jessica Beck Bad Bites Donut Mystery #16 (The Donut Mysteries) by Jessica Beck

As Elizabeth Bright:
Card Making Mystery
Invitation to Murder
Deadly Greetings
Murder and Salutations
Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1) by Elizabeth Bright Deadly Greetings (A Card Making Mystery, #2) by Elizabeth Bright Murder and Salutations (A Card Making Mystery, #3) by Elizabeth Bright

As Chris Cavender
Pizza Lovers
A Slice of Murder
Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder
A Pizza To Die For
Rest In Pizza
Killer Crust
The Missing Dough
A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers, #1) by Chris Cavender Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2) by Chris Cavender A Pizza To Die For (Pizza Lovers, #3) by Chris Cavender Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4) by Chris Cavender Killer Crust (Pizza Lovers, #5) by Chris Cavender The Missing Dough (Pizza Lovers, #6) by Chris Cavender

As Melissa Glazer:
Clay and Crime
A Murderous Glaze
The Cracked Pot
A Fatal Slip
A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1) by Melissa Glazer The Cracked Pot (Clay and Crime, #2) by Melissa Glazer A Fatal Slip (Clay and Crime, #3) by Melissa Glazer

As Casey Mayes:
A Murder by the Numbers
A Deadly Row
A Killer Column
A Grid for Murder
A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1) by Casey Mayes A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2) by Casey Mayes A Grid for Murder by Casey Mayes

WOW! This should keep us busy all month!!

message 2: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 579 comments I have read several of his books and enjoyed them. My library has Chris Cavanaugh Pizza series in e-book format. Those are really good and I recommend them.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I read one of the soapmaking books some years back and thought it was okay. I actually read 8 of the donut shop books. Didn't think it was that many. They were way up & down for me. Too formulaic, so I stopped reading them. I have a couple of the pizza books, so might give one of them a shot!

message 4: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 579 comments The donut shop are okay but there are others I prefer to read. The others I have read one or two mores but often find. I need to read at least one written under his own name.

message 5: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1157 comments I had no idea all of these pseudonyms belonged to the same person. I have a couple of his books written under other names, first in both the Pizza Lovers and the Clay and Crime series. I may read one of them next month.

message 6: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Oct 27, 2014 02:48PM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3831 comments Mod
I think I'll go with A Deadly Row I like math.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 950 comments What a coincidence! I have Dead Men Don't Lye on my list to read soon for a challenge in another GR group :)

message 8: by Sharmon (new)

Sharmon (tpgirl) | 77 comments I just ordered Rest In Pizza from my library...I don't like to start in the middle of a series but I need a "R" book for a A-Z title challenge and I am getting short on time. I have heard good things about this pizza series.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7219 comments I've read books from several of his series over the years including the lighthouse, candlemaking, soapmaking and the first book in the Casey Mayes series. The only series I've managed to read in it's entirety is the soapmaking one. I've enjoyed all the books I've read. Usually they are nice quick reads. For this month I'm going to try Glazed Murder since it will fit the food category in the mini-challenge and it's been on the TBR longer.

message 10: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17675 comments Mod
Being a cardmaker, I tried finding the Elizabeth Bright series years ago, to no avail. Have not looked for anything else by this author, so don't know if I'll be joining in on the FA for a second month running. Which, of course, just gives me more time to catch up on other books and/or challenges. ☺

message 11: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments Just requested Innkeeping with Murder from my library

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I wonder if he has to write under a female pseudonym because most people associate cozy mysteries with women...

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) | 6 comments I have the first three Lighthouse Inn mysteries on Kindle, and At Wick's End, so I will read one of those.

message 15: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17675 comments Mod
Mary, you're probably thinking of this discussion: Can Men Write Cozies?

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments Innkeeping with Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #1) by Tim Myers I just received the first of the lighthouse series from paperback swap yesterday.
I read Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) by Jessica Beck earlier this year and enjoyed it, although I wanted to drink coffee and eat donuts through the whole book.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) | 6 comments I read At Wicks End today. I really enjoyed it, and will try to start his lighthouse series soon.

message 18: by Randee (new)

Randee Baty I really liked the whole lighthouse series. The candlemaking series seemed a bit far-fetched to me. They were enjoyable but far-fetched.

message 19: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaruff) | 93 comments I'm up to powdered peril in the donut shop books so will try to read this

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I didn't know Cavender was a pseudonym! I have already read all of his pizza mysteries and really enjoyed them! I will try one of the others for this challenge.

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments I finally made it to the library. ;) My library doesn't have any of the books by "Tim Myers." But, they have several of his aliases. Since they are all new to me, I'm trying the first one in three of the other series.
Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) by Jessica Beck by Jessica Beck
A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1) by Casey Mayes by Casey Mayes
A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers, #1) by Chris Cavender by Chris Cavender

Should be a good month of reading! :)

message 22: by Jill (last edited Nov 07, 2014 11:51PM) (new)

Jill Tool | 62 comments I've read his pizza series. The first book I read by Chris Cavender was Killer Crust. I enjoyed it so much that I was looking to see if there were other books by this author and to my surprise there a whole series. Now, I've been catching up on all the books, in between reading other books that I want.

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) | 6 comments I've requested the first two pizza mysteries from the library. I didn't know Tim Myers wrote these, until I saw this thread.

message 24: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1312 comments I've read about half of the Innkeeping series. Love it! I have also read some books in his other series:

Candlemaking - pretty good
Card Making - didn't like
Clay and Crime - didn't like

message 25: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments Just finished Innkeeping with Murder and liked it enough to think about reading more in the series, even though I figured most things out early on. Just thinking about climbing those 268 steps in the lighthouse wore me out, tho!

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7219 comments Just read Glazed Murder and found it to be a delightful book. Overall I enjoyed it even when I found some things to be unbelievable. I keep getting new bakery series to read from these authors of the month.

message 27: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Wow, hard to keep track of one man's work if he writes under so many pseudonyms!

message 28: by Sharmon (new)

Sharmon (tpgirl) | 77 comments Just finished Rest In Pizza. I didn't love it or hate it. I probably won't add it to my series list at this time....too many others that I liked better.

message 29: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) The only series my library had was Pizza lovers, so I read A Slice of Murder. It was ok. I don't think I'll be reading anymore. The banter between Eleanor and her sister got to be a little much - it was like fake, hokey arguing. Reminded me of "Pleasantville-like" banter.

I read another GR user's review about how it irritated her that the chief jumped to conclusions about who the killer was and didn't really seem to look for much evidence to back it up. I kind of agree with this.

I think it's interesting that he writes under a female pseudonym. I'm curious, like others here, how his sales as a male writer compare to those as a female.

message 30: by Moonlight (new)

Moonlight | 49 comments I've read Glazed Murder and three of the Pizza Lover's mysteries. I didn't care for the doughnut series. I stopped reading the Pizza series because I got bored with the characters.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) | 6 comments I read the first two pizza books yesterday, and really liked them.

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments I just finished A Slice of Murder and I thought it was a fun story. I'm ready for book 2.

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Just finished reading the last of the books I checked out.

Glazed Murder was just OK. I got too distracted by all the donuts. ;) I felt the info on how to make donuts was too detailed and took away from the story.

I was disappointed with A Deadly Row. I thought we'd get to see the whole puzzle to try and work it out, but that didn't happen. I also got confused... If you haven't read this book, skip to the next paragraph, unless you don't mind knowing some of the story (its not really a spoiler, like who did it). The first time the main character looked at the number/letter clues, I could not figure out how she figured out 5E was missing! I looked at it and reread and still, I have no idea where she got that as missing. Then, when the book mentions the clues again, one of the original combos is missing (5A), and the 5E clue was in its place! So much for the editor! I also knew who did it about 1/2 way through the book, and didn't need the so called clues to figure it out. :P I won't be reading any more of this series.

A Slice of Murder was the best of these three, but still not as good as other series I've read. If I find I need something to read, I might try one or two more in this series, but I won't be upset if I don't read any more. It had some funny moments between the sisters, but there were times it seemed a little too much.

message 34: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaruff) | 93 comments Finished Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8) by Jessica Beck Powdered Peril Now craving donuts. A bit disappointed with the mystery.

message 35: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 62 comments I read Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) by Jessica Beck . I enjoyed the characters, the story and the mystery itself. I will be reading the others and my husband is going to read the first one also.

message 36: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I read book six in Tim Meyer's Lighthouse series. Key to Murder It was very short, more like a novella. It won't be my favorite cozy, but it was entertaining and the characters were pretty good. The setting was interesting - on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I'd like to go there one of these days. I think I'll try to find some of his other books under his other names just to make sure I've done him justice. This was a new author for me, so thanks to the group for the introduction.

message 37: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1312 comments Tricia wrote: "I read book six in Tim Meyer's Lighthouse series. Key to Murder It was very short, more like a novella. It won't be my favorite cozy, but it was entertaining and the characters were pretty good. The setting was interesting - on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I'd like to go there one of these days. I think I'll try to find some of his other books under his other names just to make sure I've done him justice. This was a new author for me, so thanks to the group for the introduction.
"

Hey Tricia - As I recall, this series does not take place in the Outer Banks, but near the mountains or in western North Carolina. The lighthouse that is at the inn is a replica of the lighthouse at Cape Hatteras. That may be why you thought the location as at the Outer Banks. Outer Banks is a wonderful place to visit!

message 38: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Julesy wrote: "Tricia wrote: "I read book six in Tim Meyer's Lighthouse series. Key to Murder It was very short, more like a novella. It won't be my favorite cozy, but it was entertaining and the characters were ..."

No, in this book the characters have traded lighthouse inns and are spending a month in the Outer Banks while their friends spend time in their mountain lighthouse. There is definitely a hurricane in the story and that wouldn't happen in the mountains!