The Killer Reads Book Club discussion

October 2014: The Intruders > The Intruders: Discussion (SPOILER ALERT!)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Killer Reads (new)

Killer Reads (killerreads) | 27 comments Mod
Hi everyone! We hope by now that you've finished The Intruders and are ready to start talking about it. Just some general question to kick things off: What did you think of it? What did you like or dislike about it? What did you think of Jack?

message 2: by Janine (new)

Janine | 6 comments I found it a little difficult to start with, but once I got to know the characters I really enjoyed it.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 5 comments Same here, Janine - I especially enjoyed (wrong word!) the way that Jack's understanding of who Amy is gradually breaks down over the course of the book - even though it's a very supernatural thing that's happening it felt like something that could happen to anyone!

message 4: by Killer Reads (last edited Oct 27, 2014 05:19AM) (new)

Between Gary Fisher's nightmare and Madison's very un-nine-year-old behaviour, terrifying children are very much a theme of this, and many other supernatural books.

Why do you think children who aren't quite what they seem have the power to scare us so much?

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Kelly | 2 comments I've enjoyed it and it will be interesting to watch the series that starts tonight.

message 6: by Gail (last edited Oct 27, 2014 08:28AM) (new)

Gail (borderterriersrule) | 1 comments I didn't like it at all. Started off well and the premise was brilliant but sadly it just became a little ridiculous for me. Sorry :-(

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gilbey (gilbster1000) | 4 comments Due to having other books to read that I needed to review on Netgalley and then being away, I'm intending to start reading this later tonight. I read reasonably fast so hopefully will have it read in a couple of days.

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene (adavidson) | 7 comments I enjoyed the start of the book and enjoyed the build of suspense. however I lost interest towards the end and found some parts a bit confusing. I think it would work well on tv though.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Moss | 2 comments Killer wrote: "Between Gary Fisher's nightmare and Madison's very un-nine-year-old behaviour, terrifying children are very much a theme of this, and many other supernatural books.

Why do you think children who ..."

This is a very good question!! I think something about children usually being small and innocent just makes them all the more terrifying when they're not what they seem!

message 10: by Killer Reads (new)

Arlene - did you watch the TV on Monday? I'll be watching it this weekend!

Gail/Rachel - sorry you didn't like it that much - hopefully you'll enjoy next month's title more :)

Katie - I thought the idea of some adult mind occupying the brain of a child absolutely terrifying! Especially Gary Fisher's nightmare of going into his daughter's room and finding her basically possessed by someone else. Ahh!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gilbey (gilbster1000) | 4 comments I've so far read about 150 pages and not positive I'm enjoying it. Will take it with me on the commute tomorrow and see if I can get any further, however reading the spoilers on this post, I suspect I made a mistake requesting this book and I'm sorry about that. I wasn't aware there were supernatural/paranormal elements to this and I generally don't enjoy reading books of that nature.

message 12: by Killer Reads (new)

If you could move your mind and 'soul' into another body when you died, would you? Even if it meant performing the dirty work for the Nine as the Shepherds do?

message 13: by Arlene (new)

Arlene (adavidson) | 7 comments recorded Monday's episode, so looking forward to watching it!