SRC Reading Club discussion

I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
Book Discussions > Language - Hanging Noodles - Nov 2014

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mohammed, Mod (last edited Nov 13, 2014 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mohammed Khalifa (mohammedkhalifa) | 14 comments Mod
In this post we shall discuss the elected reads for the 2nd phase in the new SRC Reading Club 2014 plan.
This post is now updated - see below:

message 2: by Mohammed, Mod (last edited Nov 13, 2014 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Book(s) discussion for I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World by Jag Bhalla and Fluent in 3 Months Tips and Techniques to Help You Learn Any Language by Benny Lewis has been held at the Club's discussion room on 13th Nov 2014 with 11 participants. This post is now open for those who have read or are interested in participating in the Languages Phase discussion ( esp. those who couldn't attend the meeting at SRC )
Points of Discussion about I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World by Jag Bhalla :
- Opinion and thoughts after reading the book
- Any interesting idioms that you've read in the book
- Any interesting idioms from your culture

Points of Discussion about Fluent in 3 Months How Anyone at Any Age Can Learn to Speak Any Language from Anywhere in the World by Benny Lewis :
- Opinion and thoughts after reading the book
- Methods and tricks that you liked/disliked
- Any methods that have helped improve your language(s) that you would like to share?
- Do you plan on making your own 'fluent in 3 months' goal?
- Read any similar ( maybe better ) books?

Other points:
- Which book would you have preferred to read in this phase 'Languages'?
- Any suggestive improvements for the Reading Club discussions?
- Points of discussion you're intrigued by?

message 3: by Ayman (last edited Nov 13, 2014 05:31AM) (new)

Ayman Ibrahim (ayman_ibrahim) | 1 comments Mod
- I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears:
It's interesting how different cultures can be very similar in some expressions, yet very different in others. Some of the idioms in the book were comprehensible to me, while others did not make any sense. Cultural differences are truly fascinating.
The book was enjoyable overall.

- Fluent in 3 Months:
This book argues that the traditional ways of learning languages are inefficient, give a false sense of incompetence, and end up in frustration. In addition, it debunks some of the most common misconceptions about learning new languages. My favourite part was about some helpful tips and tricks to make learning languages less scary and more fun.
I would recommend this book for sure.

- Which book would you have preferred to read in this phase 'Languages'?
An English novel of moderate difficulty would’ve been nice.

- Any suggestive improvements for the Reading Club discussions?
It was hard to find this discussion. Perhaps make it more accessible (e.g. by sharing the link somewhere).
Also, this discussion looks like a questionnaire. Nobody likes questionnaires. A simpler, informal form would be better.

Thank you!

message 4: by Mohammed, Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thank you Ayman,
Your suggestions will be taken gladly into consideration in future posts.
"Questionnaires are used for guidance, feel free to use your own style. "

message 5: by Mtmt (new)

Mtmt | 1 comments Fluent in 3 Months:
Well I would say it is a rather interesting book, pretty juicy when it comes to personal expertise and life experience. But is it really helpful ?
The book starts off with the writer telling us about the hardship he went through as he began to learn a new languages. He started off by explaining what really matters which is motivation to learn and interact with your newly met world.

Secondly he went on to explain why most people fail in learning a new language and he described 20 most common cases where language was conversed. Next many tricks and bits were mentioned on how to start off what are the dos and don'ts.

A decent chunk of the book was used for some specific languages as advice and basic rules. But some great sources programs and sites were also mentioned.

The book basically started off with you as someone with no language experience to fluency and finally mastery.

I honestly found some suggestions absurd and unapproachable, but these are my personal views after all. I think the book was good and would recommend it.

As for suggestions:
I suggest less self improving books I mean they are pretty boring sometimes, and a good lump of horror adventure action would do great.

message 6: by Mohammed, Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thank you mtmt for your insight - please do participate in future polls when these genres become available.