The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Harry Potter > HPatHBP: Part 5: Chapter 23 - Chapter 30

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Discuss Chapter 23 - Chapter 30

NOTE: While this section is meant to focus on the specified chapters of this book, this read is meant for people who have already read the entire series.

As a result, unlike most of our group reads, full spoilers for the series will be allowed without spoiler tags in every discussion post.

If you haven't read some/all of the books (What's wrong with you?) proceed at your own peril.

message 2: by Dara (last edited Oct 29, 2014 09:22AM) (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) Ch. 23
-Horcruxes are supremely dark and evil.

-So Dumbledore goes from totally closing Harry out to letting Harry accompany him to destroy a Horcrux...

-I admit, Harry's secret power to love is a pretty lame reveal.
Ch. 24
-Harry wants to kiss Ginny aww.

-Can you imagine the level of fear Malfoy must be feeling? And the stress? Good lord.

-The room that Harry summons to hide his book is where Malfoy has been, trying to fix the cabinet. He also unknowingly grabs Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem and uses it to distinguish the place he hides his potion book. The book was Snape's so hiding it doesn't matter all that much – Snape knows where he learned it.

-Only detentions for slicing another student open and using Dark Magic?

-It's always so convenient that Gryffindor wins the cup.

Ch. 25
-Another reveal that doesn't quite land on a re-read: Snape overheard the prophecy and told Voldemort.

-Harry likes risking his friends' lives. He also musn't trust Dumbledore too much. Does he really think anything he might do will be better than the protection Dumbledore enacts?

-Malfoy contacts Imperiused Rosmerta with the same Protean Charmed coins that Hermione used for the D.A. Rosmerta sends Malfoy the message that Dumbledore is gone after seeing him go to the Hog's Head.

Ch. 26
-I never had the impression Regulus was that skills of a wizard to be able to get to the Horcrux. Apparently he was. Or he used elf magic (he took Kreacher with him) which Voldemort would believe is below him and the magic wouldn't register.

-This part reminds me of Lord of the Rings when Frodo, Sam, and Gollum cross the Dead Marshes. ''Don't follow the lights!''

-''I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.'' AWW FEELS.

Ch. 27
-Almost all is revealed! I still hate Snape even though I know he's on the ''good'' side. He's been to nasty the whole series to view as a hero.

Ch. 28
-Snape is the worst. See what I mean about nasty?

-RAB is Sirius's brother, Regulus.

Ch. 29
-RIP, Dumbledore.

-Poor Bill, all maimed. At least Lupin and Tonks get together.

-McGonagall to Hagrid: ''Dumbledore always valued your opinions. And so do I.'' TEARS.

Ch. 30
-Ron and Hermione, loyal to the end.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments I love Fluer in this section and then Mrs. Weasley's reaction. "I am beautiful enough for both of us, I think."

This is where Draco gains the allegiance of the Elder Wand.

Dumbledore's death always hits me in stomach even though I'm ready for it. And yeah major feels with the "I am with you" line.

Love the scene in the common room when Harry gets back. The description of Ginny is so perfect, always can picture that scene so clearly. Hated what they did with their first kiss in the movie

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I finally finished this last night - such a great ending.

I agree - Fleur went from annoying to awesome - the injuries are a non-issue.

I kind of like that the locket...after all that sacrifice and tragedy - is a dud. That made me so mad the first time I read it!