The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
Harry Potter > HPatHBP: Part 4: Chapter 17 - Chapter 22

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Discuss Chapter 17 - Chapter 22

NOTE: While this section is meant to focus on the specified chapters of this book, this read is meant for people who have already read the entire series.

As a result, unlike most of our group reads, full spoilers for the series will be allowed without spoiler tags in every discussion post.

If you haven't read some/all of the books (What's wrong with you?) proceed at your own peril.

Dara (cmdrdara) Ch. 17
-Apparition is all sorts of cool.

-I'm kind of surprised Voldemort doesn't have a bunch of kids. He's obsessed with being Slytherin's heir. Wouldn't he want the Slytherin line to continue? I would think he would have procreated just so the line doesn't die out, even if he thinks he'll never die. The more Slytherins the better, right?

-How does Dumbledore know what Riddle and Morfin said?

Ch. 18
-Once again, Harry needs to heed Hermione's advice more often.

-Malfoy is arguing with Crabbe at Apparition lessons, confirming that Crabbe and Goyle are lookouts while he repairs something. The Marauder's Map shows them lingering in deserted corridors and Malfoy disappears entirely.

-Splinching is horrifying.

-Rowling is a fan of getting characters drunk to get information. Mrs. Cole, Harry thinks of it for Slughorn, Hagrid gets drunk and gives Voldemort the information on Fluffy in book 1...

Ch. 19
-Ron's poisoning is rather frightening.

-So Snape is feeling overworked and taken advantage of...

-''Perhaps Dumbledore did not think it right to confide suspicions about his staff to sixteen-year-olds... There ya go, Harry.

-Luna should be the permanent commentator. ''Loser's Lurgy''...

-I know Harry is right about Malfoy but I find his obsession tiring.

Ch. 20
-How come more wizards aren't fat? Accio makes everything so easy and Apparition negates the need for much walking... I'm looking too much into this.

-I wonder if the changes to Voldemort's appearance were done on purpose by himself or a result of all of the Dark Magic that he does and was off learning about. I think it's a bit of both though more of the former. He already shed the name ''Riddle'' and he wouldn't want to keep looking like his Muggle father.

Ch. 21
-Harry figured out that Malfoy nicked the Polyjuice Potion and Crabbe and Goyle are using it to turn into girls to stand guard. Heh. I bet Crabbe and Goyle aren't too pleased.

-Hermione continues to be the smartest of the bunch, telling Harry that she needs to persuade Slughorn to give him the memory. Harry is an idiot. He should listen to her now and he should have listened to her when she told him off about Occlumency and when he should have talk to Ron about his name coming out of the Goblet...

-I didn't peg Tonks as the type to completely lose herself over a man. Apparently I was wrong.

Ch. 22
-Ron fails his Apparition test by leaving half of an eyebrow behind. Ron's rather bad Apparition – he Splinches himself twice in the next book.

-Using the Felix Felicis was a stroke of genius from Ron. I like the whole drunken scene with Hagrid, Slughorn, and Harry.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Dara wrote: "I'm kind of surprised Voldemort doesn't have a bunch of kids. He's obsessed with being Slytherin's heir. Wouldn't he want the Slytherin line to continue? "

No need if he can become immortal. Besides, kids could become potential rivals..