The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
Harry Potter > HPatHBP: Part 2: Chapter 7 - Chapter 11

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Discuss Chapter 7 - Chapter 11

NOTE: While this section is meant to focus on the specified chapters of this book, this read is meant for people who have already read the entire series.

As a result, unlike most of our group reads, full spoilers for the series will be allowed without spoiler tags in every discussion post.

If you haven't read some/all of the books (What's wrong with you?) proceed at your own peril.

Dara (cmdrdara) Ch. 7
-Almost all of the clues of Malfoy's plan have been laid out: Vanishing Cabinet, cursed pearl necklace, Peruivan Instant Darkness Powder, Hand of Glory...

-Uselss tidbit: I bought my boyfriend a stuffed animal frog because he did this obstacle course thing called Battlefrog (http://battlefrogseries.com/) and I named the frog Trevor.

-Luna reminds me of Phoebe from Friends.

-Harry's whole debacle in the Slytherin compartment could have been avoided if he brought Extendable Ears with him. But I kind of like Harry getting caught and Malfoy stamping on his nose. Maybe Harry will learn some caution.

-I thought the Invisibility Cloak was supposed to be able to deflect jinxes...

Ch. 8
-Snape is the worst. I can't believe Harry names a kid after this bastard.

-I wonder if Snape required an Outstanding O.W.L. for his D.A.D.A. class but Dumbledore made him lower the standard due to the war with Voldemort. D.A.D.A. would be pretty important.

Ch. 9
-''It's high time your grandmother learned to be proud of the grandson shes got rather than the one she things she out to have.'' Tell it, Minerva!

-So how many other people would smell books in the Amortentia.

-CLUES! Harry smelsl a flowery scent in the Amortentia then gets the same whiff from Ginny passing by.

-I assume Snape has written comments on his homework and written instructions on the blackboard in Potions. You'd think Harry might recognize the Half-Blood Prince has the same penmanship.

Ch. 10
-I always picture these flashbacks to be sepia-toned.

-We see the ring in this flashback (with the Peverell coat of arms on the Resurrection Stone – the three brothers, original owners of the Hallows are Peverells), along with the locket.

Ch. 11
-''Anyone we know dead?'' Cheery way to start the morning, Ron.

-Lavender randomly has a crush on Ron. Nice for Ron to have 2 girls who like him I guess. Hermione isn't reacting well. Confounding McLaggen is a bit out of character for her.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wow..you sure got through this book quick..it's almost like you read it a week ago.. ^_^

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara wrote: "Snape is the worst. I can't believe Harry names a kid after this bastard."

Snape does sacrifice himself for Harry though doesn't he? Well more for Lily, but still? Or am I not remembering correctly?

I'm not saying he's not awful..but that kid wouldn't be there without Snape..

Dara (cmdrdara) Ha ha, Rob! I won't post all of my notes in one day. I'll wait a few days.

Mmm, he kind of does. He works to protect him for years but because of his feelings for Lily - not because he wants to save Harry.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Still..Harry and therefore son owes his life to Snape..

But wasn't someone saying/complaining earlier on that he doesn't name any of his kids after Hagrid? That seems wrong to me.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Rob wrote: "Still..Harry and therefore son owes his life to Snape..

But wasn't someone saying/complaining earlier on that he doesn't name any of his kids after Hagrid? That seems wrong to me."

Yeah, I think someone posted a blog or something where they mentioned that. That didn't bug me as much as not naming one of the boys after Fred. I mean, he was Ginny's brother, always stood up for, and was loyal to, Harry, died fighting Voldy. Come on! Give the Weasley's their due, man

Dara (cmdrdara) Why couldn't they have completely original names? That's what irked me most - they all had to be named after somebody.

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm named after the street my parent's first apartment is on. My dad claims my sister was named after an Allman Brother's song..though my mom disputed that.

My family also did initials instead of like Jr, III, IV, etc. My Dad, Grandfather and I all have the same initials, but First and Middle names are all different (no repeats).

If I ever have a son I have a name picked out that would fit the pattern (assuming my spouse would let me).

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

So Harry mentions how the DAtDA job must be cursed and how Snape will be out in a year. And of course both are correct (I think).

Snape becomes headmaster and death eaters turn DAtDA into just Dark Arts.

And the position really is cursed after Dumbledore wouldn't hire Voldemort for it.

Also, I like how the love potion smells like fresh parchment to Hermoine.

message 11: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Wright | 7 comments Scott wrote: "That didn't bug me as much as not naming one of the boys after Fred. I mean, he was Ginny's brother, always stood up for, and was loyal to, Harry, died fighting Voldy. Come on! Give the Weasley's their due, man"

Hear hear. Name your kid after a bully, or name your kid after a friend? Hmm, choice doesn't seem that hard.

message 12: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Oct 29, 2014 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anyone find it convenient that in 7 books we only get 3 Sorting Hat songs? It seems like Ms. Rowling didn't want to write 7 songs..

1: Song
2: Missed due to flying car
3: Talking to Professor McGonagall about Harry's Dementor attack
4: Song
5: Song
6: Harry is jinxed by Malfoy
7: Harry doesn't go to Hogwarts

message 13: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) I'm totally fine with that. Those songs couldn't have been easy to write.

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm not complaining. I just noticed it more this read through. And I originally thought there was no song in 4 either.

Alexa (littlelexa) | 77 comments Ch. 7
I got very worried at Harry's fight with Malfoy. Also, I'd have thought Malfoy would try to damage Harry more, maybe even steal the invisibility cloak.

Ch. 8
Yep. Snape is the worst. I was never happy with how they suddenly love him after the last book. After all, he was HORRIBLE for six books, and I don't think he's being horrible just because it's part of his cover, he's just a horrible person.

Ch. 9
"It's high time your grandmother learned to be proud of the grandson shes got rather than the one she things she out to have." I loved this part too Dara! It was the best :D

"Harry smells a flowery scent in the Amortentia then gets the same whiff from Ginny passing by." Hey! I didn't spot this one! Good job!

"I assume Snape has written comments on his homework and written instructions on the blackboard in Potions. You'd think Harry might recognize the Half-Blood Prince has the same penmanship."

Well, Snape wrote those when he was a teenager and now he's an adult, we can assume his handwriting has changed over the years. I say this because I've seen notes I made during high-school and I can barely recognized my own handwriting, it was a lot rounder and more flourishy back then, now it's more slanted and the traces are harsher. I guess if an expert checks it out it will find coincidences but at first look it's completely different.

Alexa (littlelexa) | 77 comments Scott wrote: " That didn't bug me as much as not naming one of the boys after Fred"

Well, George named his son Fred. So maybe they just didn't want to repeat the name too much?

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Ahh, did he? Didn't remember that. That makes sense then

message 18: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) I'm totally on board with George naming his son Fred. Fred and George were pretty much inseparable. I can't even imagine how George survived after losing him.

message 19: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah. Poor George.

Alexa (littlelexa) | 77 comments Here's a chart with all the kids names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template...