Devon Book Club discussion

"How To........"

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Hi - a few of you have asked how to start a new topic.

Go to the Discussion Board title bar and click "new"
Give your post a title and select a folder from the drop down list; it will default to General unless you select another one
Compose your comment in the text box, adding book/author or html link wherever relevant
Post your comment

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Check out the photos (either on the photos link or at the bottom of the page). Got any great images you can share?
If you dont know how - first go to the photos link, click on "add more photos", go to browse to select from your photos in your my documents folder. I saved the book seat image from another site to my photo album first, and uploaded from there

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
just noticed that opposite the most recent post in each thread is a list of all books referred to in a topic. That's really helpful and reinforces the value of always adding the book

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
A small tip if you are getting more notifications than you want. You can adjust the way you get notified of new posts on your profile settings - look for the e-mail tab

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Adding symbols to your post: If you want to add symbols this link tells you how - they are called "alt codes" . you engage number lock then use alt and the relevant number (on the numeric key pad) , which you can find here:☺ ☼
http://www.alt-codes.net/

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Linking up with other members:
Just in case you have not worked this out, you can privately message other members by selecting them from the member list, and on their profile you will find a message link.

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison Golby | 76 comments Hi, I contacted Goodreads to see if there was a way to add a link to a book/author using the App. Their response is below:

Thanks for writing in! Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to add a link to a book or author on a group discussion using the app. But that's a great suggestion - we'll definitely consider adding this feature in the future.

So, no - can't do this on the App currently!

message 8: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments Speaking of Carol Ann Duffy, anyone spot this in Rod Liddle's Spectator blog?
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/cultureh...

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
OK - so this is how you add a file to your post via Google Drive. It is a little convoluted but, once you've set it up, fairly straightforward

Google Doc is a wordprocessing program offered by Google, but you can use your Word document without redoing it into Google Doc, just by uploading it to Google Drive. https://drive.google.com

You will need to sign up for Google if you haven't already. Once you've established your Drive page, click on the New button at the top of the menu on the left. That brings up a submenu. The second option is File Upload. Clicking that will allow you to upload your document.

Once you have completed that, you need to set it up to shares. Open the document by double clicking it's icon. At the top right of the screen displaying the document is a blue Share button. Click that, and make the appropriate selections. What you want is to select "anyone with the link can view". When you've got that, there will be a box just below that option which contains a long link address. Copy the link.

Then you can go back to your Goodreads comment and paste the link.

message 10: by Ian (last edited Dec 07, 2015 02:16PM) (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
A quick one just to let you know that we now have a Twitter account if you are a Tweeter - our address is @BookDevon - be great if you could follow us there too and spread the word.

Also remember we are on Facebook too

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Ellis | 1 comments New member and I read about 100 books in a year. I am currently reading "The Mermaids Singing" by Val McDermid. As you can see, mysteries and police procedural novels are my first interest. But, I also read evolutionary biology and historical novels. If anyone has read Val McDermid, I would be most interested in comments.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Stephen wrote: "New member and I read about 100 books in a year. I am currently reading "The Mermaids Singing" by Val McDermid. As you can see, mysteries and police procedural novels are my first interest. But, I ..."

Hi Stephen - you are very welcome. Great to have you with us. 100 books a year takes some doing! I am not familiar with Val McDermid's work so cant comment but I am sure others will. Just one small point to note - can you post comments on what you are reading on the "currently reading" topic - just helps to keep everything in one place and will draw people to the right topic areas - they might not look in the "How To" section for comments on books. Might you copy and paste your post there to draw attention to it?

Takes a little time to get used to the layout so don't be put off. I guess with 100 books a year you must have pretty wide tastes - what else do you like to read?