Devon Book Club discussion

Archive > By popular demand - a new Folder

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
A few of you have said you would like a space to talk about books set in Devon or by Devon authors; to discuss book-related Devon culture and history( see Carol's post re controversy around Agatha Chrstie's home), films, TV etc relating to Devon - or events that you think the group would like to know about.

So, I've set up this new folder. Have fun with it.

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Via a Kindle recommendation I have downloaded Lacey's HouseLacey's House - a novel based in a Devon village and the author lives in Devon. It's also available on the Devon Libraries book groups list. Looking forward to reading this soon.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Hi everyone. Yes, I really like the new picture for the group.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Thanks

Two possible problems - a) copyright (Im checking that out) b) doesnt work on a phone or Kindle very well as words dont show up - but maybe thats not too much of a problem. will test it a little longer

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments There's a new guide out called: South West Independent Coffee Guide. I got it from our favourite coffee shop which is listed in it but it's published by Salt Media. As a fan of independent shops and cafes I really like this; it gives info on 50 odd cafes from Somerset to Cornwall including several in Devon. Not sure how they picked the ones included but they all look good and it seems like a great excuse for a 'cafe crawl'.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Forgot to say, Ian, there's one listed for Barnstaple: The Boston Tea Party. I love to sit and read in a good coffee shop. The problem is that, if they're good, they're usually too busy to make that possible - or fair. :)

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Forgot to say, Ian, there's one listed for Barnstaple: The Boston Tea Party. I love to sit and read in a good coffee shop. The problem is that, if they're good, they're usually too busy to make tha..."
thanks - don't visit them much (rarely in town long enough) but I think that's the one with comfy chairs and newspapers, near the central library

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Kathy wrote: "There's a new guide out called: South West Independent Coffee Guide. I got it from our favourite coffee shop which is listed in it but it's published by Salt Media. As a fan of independent shops an..."
Sounds lovely, Kathy.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Halloween this week. Grandchildren visiting from Belgium, so will be searching out witches and witchcraft activity.
Really enjoyed The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft by Judika Illes. Originally took it out from the library, but kept it so long, husband bought it for me as a present. It is very detailed in almost every aspect of the subject you could wish. The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments An interesting report which came out recently said that where there was serious persecution of people for witchcraft (I say people because it was sometimes children and men as well) these were the same areas of Europe where there came to be very strong antisemitic activity. Jewish people and people thought of as witches were often accused of the same crimes, such as the killing of children and the drinking of their blood.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments The last two women hanged for witchcraft in England came, I think, from Bideford, and were hanged at Exeter.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Just looked at Facebook site and thought it was lovely. Well done Ian! Not terribly adept at computers etc but do my best. Can I put a photo of Hangman I took from my mother's garden the other day on it? Not quite sure of the protocol of these things. Do you only want photos that are book-related? Or can they also be of Devon?

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "An interesting report which came out recently said that where there was serious persecution of people for witchcraft (I say people because it was sometimes children and men as well) these were the ..."
That's really interesting Carol. I've never heard that before. The whole thing is completely horrifying.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments I love the FB site too, Ian. I've shared it to help put the word round.

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Just looked at Facebook site and thought it was lovely. Well done Ian! Not terribly adept at computers etc but do my best. Can I put a photo of Hangman I took from my mother's garden the other day ..."

I am sure photos of Devon would be fine. I dont want to over control things - hsappy to let innovation flourish

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "I love the FB site too, Ian. I've shared it to help put the word round."

Thanks - thats the way we'll grow

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Yes, I like the latest picture. I like the colours slightly more than the last one, although I liked that one as well. You've gone for the 'book' part of the name. If you go for a different picture you could try a spectacular view, as we have a lot of those. I suppose it would be too difficult to have an open book with a view on the page inside. Not good at computers, so have no idea about it.

message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Yes, I like the latest picture. I like the colours slightly more than the last one, although I liked that one as well. You've gone for the 'book' part of the name. If you go for a different picture..."

Thanks - the Facebook Page has a stunning view of Exmoor - will see if there is any way of wrapping it round the book image.

As the Group is about Books I think we need a main image that conveys that - otherwise poeple will associate with nature etc and there are lots of places that do that better - like the national parks.

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "Carol wrote: "Yes, I like the latest picture. I like the colours slightly more than the last one, although I liked that one as well. You've gone for the 'book' part of the name. If you go for a dif..."

I've had another look and uploaded a seascape to the page as a Masthead - think it is quite effective but be good to know what people think.

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Fantastic new masthead!
I also like the new book Club image - it's uncluttered and should hopefully work well on any size of screen.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Yes, lovely sea picture. Well done, Ian. The colours of it also suit the book picture.

message 22: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Yes, lovely sea picture. Well done, Ian. The colours of it also suit the book picture."

Thanks - Jury still out on the book image. Not so sure that this one has enough impact. will see what the general view is

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Visited Dartmouth yesterday and went to Bayard's Cove. One of the houses was built in, I think, 1739, and at the end was a 16th century cannon emplacement. Extremely picturesque. Am I right in thinking that this was one of the settings for the TV series, The Onedin Line? It's so long ago since I saw it, but would love it to return.

message 24: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Visited Dartmouth yesterday and went to Bayard's Cove. One of the houses was built in, I think, 1739, and at the end was a 16th century cannon emplacement. Extremely picturesque. Am I right in thin..."

you are right - a quick Google search found this from 2012
"John Fabian, who has died aged 84, had a long and successful career in television production, notably in the popular 1970s series The Onedin Line, filmed in the South West.

As associate producer, he helped re-create mid-Victorian Liverpool at Bayards Cove near Dartmouth, where much of the series was filmed."

Read more: http://www.westbriton.co.uk/TV-vision...

was a great series - perhaps as it's Movember I ought to try to grow those whiskers!

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Don't know how many members we've got in the Kingsbridge area yet, but apparently there's an offer on this week: spend £10 plus on books at the Harbour Bookshop and get a voucher for a free drink at Coasters Coffee Company. Reading and coffee go together really well, I think. :)

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!
It sounds as though Harbour Bookshop is doing its best, but it is interesting to see that so many independent bookshops have disappeared in the last year. I think I read that a third had ceased trading, which is an enormous number. It is so difficult for them to compete with Amazon.

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Walked on the Babbacombe Downs this morning. It is beautiful and am also interested in its history. John 'Babbacombe'Lee used to live there. He was found guilty of the murder of Emma Keyse in a house down by the beach and sentenced to hang. The trap failed to open ( I think 3 times) and he was reprieved and spent many years in prison.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!
It sounds as though Harbour Bookshop is doing its best, but it is interesting to see t..."

Hi Carol. The Harbour is doing its best and they have a loyal client-base I think, but you're right: it is hard for the independents. The indie in Dartmouth closed last year which was sad; I thought it was a great bookshop. Do you have any indies in Torquay? (Ashamed to say that I don't know it! Devon is such a big county isn't it and I don't get around it enough)

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "Walked on the Babbacombe Downs this morning. It is beautiful and am also interested in its history. John 'Babbacombe'Lee used to live there. He was found guilty of the murder of Emma Keyse in a ho..."

What a story! I guess he wasn't meant to hang if the trap failed 3 times...

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Yes, Devon is a big county, isn't it, and the scenery is very varied and spectacular, from moors to coast.
There are several independent bookshops here in Torbay. The one in Paignton though sells Thornton chocolates as well as books. They often have famous authors there for book signings. There is also one near me in St Marychurch and I believe Ann Widdicombe was there, book signing, in the not-too-distant past.
I believe Tesco shops also sell local books, but I think they are non-fiction, not fiction. I seem to recall that Peter Christie in North Devon did a book signing at the one in Ilfracombe.

message 31: by Ley (last edited Nov 04, 2014 02:40PM) (new)

Ley Holloway | 158 comments Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!
It sounds as though Harbour Bookshop is doing its best, but it is intere..."

There was an event recently that included a talk from a guy who runs a bookshop in Bath, think it was a library event, he has developed a unique selling point for his shop, they actively encourage customers to ask for recommendations and create real relationships with them, it takes imagination and a different way of working to survive in this digital age, find something that you can do that amazon can't,personal relationships and customer care on this level is one of those, cosy corners to read in are another. I'll try to remember the name of the shop.

message 32: by Ley (new)

Ley Holloway | 158 comments Ley wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!
It sounds as though Harbour Bookshop is doing its best, bu..."

Found the bookshop: http://www.mrbsemporium.com/ and there on their index page a new Neil Gaiman, how did they know?

message 33: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Ley wrote: "Ley wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!
It sounds as though Harbour Bookshop is doing ..."

Great bookshop - love the idea of the reading spa

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Ley wrote: "Ley wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!

What a brilliant website, Ley! That's great, imaginative promotion. I wish I lived closer to Bath now... (Sorry, I know it's not Devon).

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Really enjoyed reading all these posts. In North Devon there is Walter Henry's bookshop in Bideford.

message 36: by Ley (new)

Ley Holloway | 158 comments Angela wrote: "Really enjoyed reading all these posts. In North Devon there is Walter Henry's bookshop in Bideford."

We have an independant bookshop in Ilfracombe too, apologies forgot the name, they sell art materials too.

message 37: by Sue (new)

Sue | 342 comments Angela wrote: " Lacey's HouseLacey's House - a novel based in a Devon village and the author lives in Devon. It's also available on the Devon Libraries..."

13 copies available in Essex libraries so someone must have liked it! Have reserved one.

message 38: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments For those of us who have Kindles Lacey's House is available for 99p!

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments This isn't book-related, but might interest people who live in the Torquay area. Went down to the Grand Hotel on Friday to look at the plans for a 14-storey building right on the harbour front. It is enormous and would tower over that part of Torquay. Didn't like it at all, and nor did anyone else I met there. I fear the harbour landscape is going to be changed irrevocably if it goes ahead.

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "This isn't book-related, but might interest people who live in the Torquay area. Went down to the Grand Hotel on Friday to look at the plans for a 14-storey building right on the harbour front. It ..."
14 storeys? That sounds horribly dominant, Carol. How far down the planning route is it?

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "This isn't book-related, but might interest people who live in the Torquay area. Went down to the Grand Hotel on Friday to look at the plans for a 14-storey building right on the harb..."
I think it will be voted on in January.
By the way, have finished your book and loved it. Will write the review today.

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "This isn't book-related, but might interest people who live in the Torquay area. Went down to the Grand Hotel on Friday to look at the plans for a 14-storey building rig..."
Maybe the design might be modified yet then? Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the comment about the book, Carol. I'm so pleased (and, as always, a little relieved) that you enjoyed it.

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "This isn't book-related, but might interest people who live in the Torquay area. Went down to the Grand Hotel on Friday to look at the plans for a 14-store..."What are you doing to promote it?
Have you sent it to the Western Morning news etc?
Just listening to the Wag of Widdicombe on the radio. He always mentions local authors and books. Your husband could send in a request for you and mention the book at the same time.

message 44: by Kathy (last edited Dec 14, 2014 08:39AM) (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "This isn't book-related, but might interest people who live in the Torquay area. Went down to the Grand Hotel on Friday to look at the plans ..."
That's a great idea! I'm sure I could persuade my OH to do that... Clearly I'm not inventive enough about these things. And I'll look into the Western Morning News too. Thank you. :)

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Thank you too, Carol, for my first real feedback for Silent Faces, Painted Ghosts. I've just seen your review and it is so appreciated.

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue | 342 comments Ley wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!
It sounds as though Harbour Bookshop is doing its best, bu..."

I had a reading makeover at Mr B's for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was brilliant! I phoned to make the appointment and told them the type of books I liked reading. When I arrived I was given coffee and about 30 books based on what I told them to look at. We talked around my interests a bit more and another pile arrived. I was then left in an armchair in front of a fire to peruse! My son had included a book in the price so I could even take one home. Very civilised and thoroughly enjoyable. So much so my OH asked for one the following year!

message 47: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Sue wrote: "Ley wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!

Is Mr B's a book shop? Have never heard of this service before. It sounds very unusual.

message 48: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Sue wrote: "Ley wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol wrote: "Hi Kathy. Not in the Kingsbridge area, but live in Torquay, so we are part of the South Devon contingent here!
It sounds as though Harbour Booksh..."

It is - in Bath - see the attached link http://www.mrbsemporium.com/

I've not been there but will certainly do so at some point

message 49: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments Mr B's is a delight. We visit Bath several times a year (and sometimes blog about it). Mr B's is always on the hit list.