Flights of Fantasy discussion

FoF Annual Series Challenge > Series Challenge - Scoring/Progress For Laurel

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Like last year, I'm going to follow a slightly modified plan. Thanks to Chris and the rest of the group for allowing me to do this. I enjoyed the process last year and am very grateful to have a place to do so again this year.

Canadian Polar Bear Hug!

My general goal is to keep the number of brand new series less than the combination of ongoing series which are completely caught up AND series which I finish off during the course of the year. To the mathematical minds, so long as:

new series < up to date ongoing series + recently completed series

I'm golden!

message 2: by Laurel (last edited Apr 29, 2015 06:30PM) (new)

Laurel Incomplete Series:

River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay:
River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay

Powder Mage Series:
The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage, #3) by Brian McClellan

Kate Daniels Series:
Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8) by Ilona Andrews

Kitty Norville Series:
Kitty in the Underworld (Kitty Norville, #12) by Carrie Vaughn Low Midnight (Kitty Norville, #13) by Carrie Vaughn

Dorothy Must Die Series:
The Witch Must Burn (Dorothy Must Die, #0.2) by Danielle Paige The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2) by Danielle Paige

Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss:
Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #3) by Patrick Rothfuss The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer:
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer

Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb:
Dragon Keeper (Rain Wilds Chronicles, #1) by Robin Hobb Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2) by Robin Hobb City of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #3) by Robin Hobb Blood of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #4) by Robin Hobb

Nightside by Simon Green:
Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) by Simon R. Green Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5) by Simon R. Green Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7) by Simon R. Green Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6) by Simon R. Green The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8) by Simon R. Green Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, # 9) by Simon R. Green A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11) by Simon R. Green The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10) by Simon R. Green The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12) by Simon R. Green

Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson:
Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2) by Brandon Sanderson

Tufa by Alex Bledsoe:
Wisp of a Thing A Novel of the Tufa by Alex Bledsoe

Honor Harrington by David Weber:
A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington, #13) by David Weber Shadow of Freedom (Honorverse Saganami Island #3) by David Weber

Laundry Files by Charles Stross
The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files, #3) by Charles Stross Overtime (Laundry Files, #2.5) by Charles Stross The Apocalypse Codex (Laundry Files, #4) by Charles Stross Down on the Farm (Laundry Files, #2.6) by Charles Stross

TRANSMETROPOLITAN by Warren Ellis
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3 Year of the Bastard by Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4 The New Scum (New Edition) by Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5 Lonely City (New Edition) by Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6 Gouge Away by Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7 Spider's Thrash (New Edition) by Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 8 Dirge (New Edition) by Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9 The Cure (New Edition) by Warren Ellis Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10 One More Time (New Edition) by Warren Ellis

Sirantha Jax by Ann Aguirre
Wanderlust (Sirantha Jax, #2) by Ann Aguirre Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, #3) by Ann Aguirre Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4) by Ann Aguirre Aftermath (Sirantha Jax, #5) by Ann Aguirre Endgame (Sirantha Jax, #6) by Ann Aguirre

Scott Pilgrim
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs. the Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (Scott Pilgrim, #6) by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Parasitology Series by Mira Grant:
Symbiont (Parasitology, #2) by Mira Grant

Thieftaker Chronicles by D. B. Jackson:
A Plunder of Souls (Thieftaker Chronicles, #3) by D.B. Jackson READ Dead Man's Reach (Thieftaker Chronicles, #4) by D.B. Jackson

Imperial Radch
Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2) by Ann Leckie

Eddie LaCrosse series by Alex Bledsoe:
He Drank, and Saw the Spider (Eddie LaCrosse, #5) by Alex Bledsoe

Fables by Bill Willigham:
Fables, Vol. 21 Happily Ever After by Bill Willingham

The Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb:
Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and the Fool, #1) by Robin Hobb Fool's Quest (The Fitz and The Fool, #2) by Robin Hobb

London Steampunk by Bec McMaster:
Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5) by Bec McMaster Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2) by Bec McMaster My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3) by Bec McMaster The Curious Case Of The Clockwork Menace (London Steampunk, #3.5) by Bec McMaster Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4) by Bec McMaster Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5) by Bec McMaster

Shattered Sea Series by Joe Abercrombie:
Half the World (Shattered Sea, #2) by Joe Abercrombie READ Half a War by Joe Abercrombie

Expanse by James S. A. Corey:
Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5) by James S.A. Corey

As The World Dies by Rhiannon Frater:
Fighting to Survive (As The World Dies, #2) by Rhiannon Frater Siege (As The World Dies, #3) by Rhiannon Frater

White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland:
How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back (White Trash Zombie, #4) by Diana Rowland

Powers by Brian Michael Bendis
Powers, Vol. 2 Roleplay by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 3 Little Deaths by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 4 Supergroup by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 5 Anarchy by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 6 The Sellouts by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 7 Forever by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 8 Legends by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 9 Psychotic by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 10 Cosmic by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 11 Secret Identity by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 12 The 25 Coolest Dead Superheroes of All Time by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 13 Z by Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Vol. 14 Gods by Brian Michael Bendis

Sandman by Neil Gaiman:
The Sandman, Vol. 2 The Doll's House (The Sandman #2) by Neil Gaiman The Sandman, Vol. 3 Dream Country (The Sandman, #3) by Neil Gaiman The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 4 by Neil Gaiman The Sandman, Vol. 5 A Game of You (The Sandman, #5) by Neil Gaiman The Sandman, Vol. 6 Fables and Reflections (The Sandman, #6) by Neil Gaiman The Sandman, Vol. 7 Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7) by Neil Gaiman The Sandman, Vol. 8 Worlds' End (The Sandman, #8) by Neil Gaiman The Sandman, Vol. 9 The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9) by Neil Gaiman The Sandman The Wake (The Sandman, #10) by Neil Gaiman

Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan:
The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) by Rick Riordan

message 3: by Laurel (last edited May 15, 2015 01:54PM) (new)

Laurel Completed (For Now) Series:

Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger:
Prudence (The Custard Protocol, #1) by Gail Carriger

Mindspace Investigations Series by Alex Hughes:
Vacant (Mindspace Investigations,#4) by Alex Hughes

InCryptid Series:
Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4) by Seanan McGuire

Bandette by Paul Tobin:
Bandette, Vol. 2 Stealers Keepers! by Paul Tobin

Legion Series by Brandon Sanderson:
Skin Deep (Legion, #2) by Brandon Sanderson

Alpha and Omega Series:
Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega, #4) by Patricia Briggs

Mouse Guard by David Petersen:
Mouse Guard Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales by David Petersen

A Darker Shade Of Magic by Victoria Schwab:
A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab

Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson:
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 No Normal by G. Willow Wilson Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2 Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson

Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction:
Sex Criminals, Vol. 2 Two Worlds, One Cop by Matt Fraction

Fade Out by Ed Brubaker:
The Fade Out, Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker

Deadly Class by Rick Remender:
Deadly Class, Vol. 1 Reagan Youth by Rick Remender

Velvet by Ed Brubaker:
Velvet, Vol. 1 Before the Living End by Ed Brubaker

Afterlife With Archie by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa:
Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1 Escape from Riverdale by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Saga by Brian K Vaughan:
Saga, Volume 4 (Saga #19-24) by Brian K. Vaughan

Reckoners Series by Brandon Sanderson:
Firefight (Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson

Finishing School Series by Gail Carriger:
Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School #3) by Gail Carriger

Lazarus by Grug Rucka:
Lazarus, Vol. 2 Lift by Greg Rucka

Criminal by Ed Brubaker:
Criminal Special Edition (One-Shot) by Ed Brubaker

Magic Ex Libris Series by Jim C. Hines:
Unbound (Magic Ex Libris #3) by Jim C. Hines

Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovich:
Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5) by Ben Aaronovitch

Completed (All Hail The King Is Dead) Series:

The Edge Series By Ilona Andrews:
Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3) by Ilona Andrews Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4) by Ilona Andrews

Clockwork Century:
Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6) by Cherie Priest

She-Hulk by Charles Soule:
She-Hulk, Vol. 2 Disorderly Conduct by Charles Soule

Number of New Series:

*NEW* The Adventures of Owl by Kristi Charish:
Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1) by Kristi Charish

*NEW* Justis Fearsson Series by David B. Coe
Spell Blind (Justis Fearsson, #1) by David B. Coe

*NEW* Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard
Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I'll post the exhaustive list of incomplete series I need to try and complete closer to the end of December, but I was hoping to start a thread for now. There are a few I realize I will not get to between now and then which I can start to transfer over from 2014.

I'm excited to look forward to a new year, and proud to see that I finished off a few. Disappointed that I didn't get to ones like the Simon Green series or Robin Hobb. Hopefully soon.

message 5: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Why do the challenge this way?

I'm impulsive when it comes to reading. I definitely go where the wind takes me. Giving myself the simple rule of less new than what you've already finished seems doable. It will help me to keep my tbr within (for me) manageable levels ;)

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel It may not look like it, but I feel as if I'm making some progress on my tbr and whistling down some neglected series. I'm getting there!

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments :-D

you're doing better than me!

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Thanks, Hon.

I went and checked. Every book I've read so far this year, save two, have been series books. Perhaps I'm too dedicated? Or genre books are almost exclusively series? ;)

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Laurel wrote: "Thanks, Hon.

I went and checked. Every book I've read so far this year, save two, have been series books. Perhaps I'm too dedicated? Or genre books are almost exclusively series? ;)"

I'd go with both, lol. Most of the books I run into - even the romances now - are a part of a series in some way or another.

message 10: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Romance, too?!

I guess. Although, one of my faves from last year was The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison which (I think) is a standalone. I hope that editors aren't blatantly rejecting good work, from any genre, just because they aren't the potential cash cow of a series.

Although methinks I just answered my own question...

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Laurel wrote: "Romance, too?!

I guess. Although, one of my faves from last year was The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison which (I think) is a standalone. I hope that editors aren't blatantly rejecting good..."

Yep. Even Romance. It's getting to be a little beyond the pale. Everybody and their momma wants you to read a freaking series...but I get to the point that I read book 1 and move on to the next...

message 12: by Laurel (new)

Laurel You are your own woman ;)

It took me a while to give myself permission to turf a series. Thankfully Laurell K Hamilton betrayed one of my favourite characters/worlds/series SO HARD that I grew a thicker skin and can now walk away. Not without a little pain, mind you. I will always miss what you might have been, Anita.

*sniffs*

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Laurel wrote: "You are your own woman ;)

It took me a while to give myself permission to turf a series. Thankfully Laurell K Hamilton betrayed one of my favourite characters/worlds/series SO HARD that I grew a ..."

Everyone tells me that! It's the reason I never started it myself (though I have the first 3? books).

I've just turned into a more moody reader as I've aged.

message 14: by Laurel (new)

Laurel The first few books are spectaculars! And every so often, I torture myself, go back, and hope that maybe THIS ONE will be better.

Rumour has it her current book deal does not allow for editing...

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Laurel wrote: "The first few books are spectaculars! And every so often, I torture myself, go back, and hope that maybe THIS ONE will be better.

Rumour has it her current book deal does not allow for editing..."

O_O

That's...always bad news.

message 16: by Laurel (new)

Laurel BUT - the first few books are worth reading. Check out a few friend reviews. I think Ala likes the series as well. Trust me. The outset was spectacular. Its just later on that the whole thing went crazy train ;)'

Although, some people still like it... It just. Changed.

message 17: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Which series? Anita Blake? Never read. Turned off it by everyone who said it goes to crap after a while.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Ala wrote: "Which series? Anita Blake? Never read. Turned off it by everyone who said it goes to crap after a while."

^That's why I never got started. But you've got me interested...

message 19: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Oops! Sorry Ala!

Honestly, I should stop talking about it. I just get crazy - I loved the first few books so much, then (like Ala says) it goes to crap :(

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Laurel wrote: "Oops! Sorry Ala!

Honestly, I should stop talking about it. I just get crazy - I loved the first few books so much, then (like Ala says) it goes to crap :("

Why? It's good that you enjoyed the novels and there's nothing wrong with that. The only issue I see is the author herself. It seems she betrayed her characters and her readers. THAT sucks.

message 21: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Have I mentioned yet today how awesome you are. I don't feel like I do it enough!

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Laurel wrote: "Have I mentioned yet today how awesome you are. I don't feel like I do it enough!"

:-D

Why thank you!