Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Author Chat! > What to do if a reader's review contains spoilers?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.R. (last edited Oct 25, 2014 10:36PM) (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) | 20 comments Is there anything that can be done if a reader becomes over zealous in writing a review of your book and fills it with lots of spoilers? How about if its a who-done-it murder mystery and he gives away who did it? Does anyone have any experiences with this?

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynmeyergriffith) | 29 comments You would think so...except (if your book is on Amazon) I've had experiences (not entirely similar but close) where the reviewer hadn't even read the stories, short story collection, they reviewed and said so because they couldn't get a download and gave me one star for that (?!!)...Amazon adamantly refused to take down the review (non-review) saying it was their policy not to. Ever.
The only option you have is to comment back to the reviewer and politely ask her to reword the review as not to give all those spoilers. But, be prepared, I've tried that, too, and sometimes they "review and run" and never return to even see a comment. You might also track down her review website and try leaving a comment there....but again it's never worked for me. Maybe your comment will be the exception and they'll reply. What I'm curious about is "why" anyone would tell the ending of a book in a review? Especially a murder mystery. Maybe they did it on purpose and then you'll never get them to reword it. So...good luck.

message 3: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) | 20 comments Thanks. It hasn't really happened yet because I'm just starting out, but the thought has occur to me. The one review I've received so far is a nice one though it does give away more than I'm comfortable with. I guess, as a reader, if you don't want to encounter spoilers, you have to be careful around reviews. Thanks for your comment.

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 169 comments I wouldn't bother with it too much. I have had some spoilers revealed, no big one such as the ending but still a few I would have preferred kept secret.

Yet, I've heard people who don't like spoilers don't read reviews anyway because they are afraid of getting any. On the other hand, you have people who like to know a little more about the story before they commit and those might appreciate the little spoilers given to them in reviews.

So I'd let it go. It's never good to interact with the reviewers unless they talk to you first. Or if you directly asked for it, to thank them for their time. That's it. By complaining about a spoiler, you might scare other potential reviewers. You may also attract more attention to it than you want, and everyone reading reviews will actually read that one in particular. Just a thought.

message 5: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 12 comments Like G.G. says, I know many who won't read reviews until after reading a book rather than risk spoilers. I also know others who actively seek them out, strangely.

I also would never comment on a review on your own book, unless it is someone you have previously spoken with.

message 6: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) | 20 comments Good advice all, thanks!

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pemrick I don't think anyone give give you any better advice. Spoilers are going to happen. They happen to all authors (no matter if you're indie or trad published) and a person is allowed to review how they please. Only thing you can do is accept it and continue writing.

message 8: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments Spoilers are a part of books, which is why when I'm looking for a book that I don't read reviews. I like to have surprises in my life. I just really don't read reviews.

message 9: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (jackierhoades) | 33 comments Ignore it and be grateful someone took the time to review your book. I only ask my street team to avoid spoilers (but to be honest in their reviews).

message 10: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Wade (awjo1991) | 4 comments Getting the review would make me happy, but a big spoiler would be a bit aggravating.

message 11: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) | 20 comments Thanks. That's how I feel also, but it is true that getting a great review makes you feel good, even if there are spoilers included. I think I'm beginning to understand that there will always be people that never read the spoilers. I'm just grateful there is someone out there that like what I wrote.

message 12: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) | 20 comments Thanks everyone, for all the comments.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread