Why Can't I Get Better? Solving the Mystery of Lyme and Chronic Disease
Dr. Horowitz's Wisdom > Chapter 12: Discussion and Summary

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 24, 2014 02:14PM) (new) - added it

Rebecca Guglielmo | 50 comments Mod
Chapter 12: Lyme and the Brain

Discussion Questions:
1. Are you dealing Neurological Lyme? If so, did this chapter help you relate your physical symptoms to the actual Borrelia infection location(s)?

2. Psychological symptoms are extremely common with chronic Lyme. If you are in treatment are you seeing improvement with your protocol?

Summary:

• Lyme disease frequently affects the central nervous system. Borellia enter the blood stream and pass through the blood brain barrier. This is called neurological Lyme disease.

• Symptoms include memory and concentration problems, difficulties with processing new information, word finding problems, mood disorders, anxiety, as well as a host of psychiatric manifestations, and neurodegenerative problems.

• Borrelia infections in each of the following cause:

o Brain tissue; causes encephalitis which causes memory and concentration problems and a broad range of psychiatric symptoms.

o The sac that encloses the brain and spinal cord; causes meningitis symptoms which causes s stiff neck, headache and light and noise sensitivity.

o Cranial Nerves; causes abnormalities in the function of each of these nerves causing optic neuritis (loss of vision), vestibular and hearing loss, and Bell’s Palsy.

o Peripheral nervous system; causes symptoms of radiculitis (inflammation in the nerve root coming out of the spinal column) and/or peripheral neuropathy which causes tingling, numbness, burning, and hypersensitivity of the skin.

Here are the four patters:

1. Mononeuropathy: A single nerve is affected.

2. Mononeuritis multiplex: Multiple nerves are affected in multiple areas of the body.

3. Polyneuropathy: Many nerve cells in the body are affected often in a symmetrical fashion causing motor neuron problems (walking, swallowing, breathing, and difficulty with speech).

4. Autonomic neuropathy: a form of polyneuropathy that affects the involuntary nerves of the autonomic nervous system affecting internal organs and the cardiovascular system.

• There are also neuropsychiatric symptoms ranging from anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder. Lyme can imitate every psychiatric symptom. A LLMD should work with a psychiatrist to treat a patient with both Lyme and psychiatric symptoms.

• Treating Neurological Lyme and Psychiatric Symptoms starts with connecting the two.

o Dr. H suggests treatment to include antimicrobial, psychotropic medications, herbal and vitamin therapies, and various forms of psychotherapy and stress reduction techniques.

o Unfortunately, the psychiatric community often misses root causes of psychiatric symptoms and begins treatment with antipsychotic meds with little success.

o Sometimes Lyme, along with co-infections, can exacerbate underlying psychiatric symptoms from increased cytokine production.

• ALS & Lyme is a hot button issue right now. Perhaps the same immune susceptibility for ALS is similar or the same for Lyme. Dr. H discusses the increased role of environmental toxins quoting the CDC’s 2006 study, “environmental toxins can be found in 50% of Americans.” P. 326

o “What is clear to me is that some patients with ALS who have Lyme with co-infections as well as heavy metals and environmental toxins can improve with antibiotics…” p.334

message 2: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (vicki46) | 52 comments This was a great chapter for me because I have neuro Lyme. Unfortunately, I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, mycoplasma and probably bartonella. Very foggy indeed! I reacted to a lot of the meds he discussed, particularly Cymbalta, which I tried when I was given the fibro diagnosis. A nightmare. I currently only use medutation techniques and take a med for nerve pain.