Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Parentheses in Author Name

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 152 comments What is the policy regarding parentheses in authors' names?

There is a book I have shelved by a Goodreads Author whose author name includes a secondary last name in parentheses at the end: Chrissie Keighery (Perry). As far as I can tell, none of the books have been published with Perry as part of the name. Due to the way Goodreads sorts names, her books wind up alphabetized under (Perry), Chrissie Keighery instead of under Keighery, Chrissie as anyone possessing one of her book's would expect.

Is there a way this can be fixed so that her name will sort in the expected manner?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
Andréa wrote: "What is the policy regarding parentheses in authors' names?"

Only ok if they are listed that way on their bookcover(s).

Fixed.

message 3: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 152 comments rivka wrote: "Andréa wrote: "What is the policy regarding parentheses in authors' names?"

Only ok if they are listed that way on their bookcover(s).

Fixed."

Thanks, rivka!

I wish there was a way to tell Goodreads how to sort authors' names, the way there is to tell it how to sort titles. Something like "Smith Publishing" sorts under "Publishing, Smith" instead of "Smith Publishing" and authors whose last names start with lower-case letters like "Tomie dePaola" sort at the end of the alphabet instead of under the appropriate letter (in that case, D).