/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

2014 Book Club Discussions > November 2014: Nominate for November 2014 BOTM

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments It's that time again - nominations for November BOTM. Same rules as always:

1) One vote per person. Either nominate a book or "second" it. Not both.

2) No self-promotion of books

3) A nomination and a "second" will set a book to the list. Five books nominated and I'll close this thread and move to the polls.

Thanks everyone!

message 2: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments I'm going to nominate The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. I enjoyed reading it immensely and would love to discuss it.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Wright | 33 comments I'll add The Rook. It's a fun urban fantasy set in the UK's version of MIB, but with monsters instead of aliens.

message 4: by Arun (last edited Oct 24, 2014 01:16PM) (new)

Arun (arzvi) | 7 comments Always wanted to read The Darkness that comes before from'The prince of nothing' series by R.Scott Baker. Heard its one of the darkest novels.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (rabidnewz) I nominate Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin | 4 comments I'll second The Rook

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (paul_sff) I'm going to nominate The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It is the book I am planning on reading next, so I figured I'd throw it out there. I realize a ton of people have read it though so it probably won't be BOTM.

message 8: by Mitch (new)

Mitch (ophiuchus0) | 5 comments I second The Darkness that comes before.

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Obrigewitsch (andrewobrige) The Wretched of Muirwood: Legends of Muirwood, Book 1
Written by: Jeff Wheeler

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Toth | 30 comments I'll second The Goblin Emperor

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Lawrence (marklawrence) | 34 comments I'll nominate Low Town by Daniel Polansky

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert | 13 comments I would like to second "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, it has been leering at me from my bedside table for far too long.

message 13: by dana (new)

dana (danadanny) | 7 comments I'll nominate Tome of the Undergates by Sam Sykes

message 14: by Duncan (new)

Duncan Mcfarlane | 15 comments I'll second Low Town

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin  (junky8687) | 27 comments I'll second Tome of the Undergates by Sam Sykes

message 16: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 9 comments And... I think we're done already?

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin | 0 comments Please vote Goblin Emperor this time or I'm reading it anyways haha.

message 18: by J (new)

J (koor) | 11 comments Justin wrote: "Please vote Goblin Emperor this time or I'm reading it anyways haha."

I read it this month, and it ended up being much better than the City of Blank Stares.

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric (koteric) | 10 comments I'll second The Wretched of Muirwood

message 20: by Leonardo (new)

Leonardo (leonardozaraya) I'll second The Goblin Emperor.

message 21: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 3 comments I also vote for The Gobin Emperor- it's been creating a lot of good buzz!

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Lots of great additions here already - I'd love to read Goblin Emperor...I've heard some great things about it.

message 23: by Harv (new)

Harv | 10 comments The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August, if we're still doing the nomination thing. Uncertain as to whether it qualifies as fantasy, but it doesn't seem all that science-fictiony as far as the underlying premise is concerned.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Zupich (nicolezupich) I second The Rook!

message 25: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Here's the list. I'm gonna go with 6 books this time, just because of the responses.

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
Low Town by Daniel Polansky
The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
The Rook by Daniel O'Malley
The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker
Tome Of The Undergates by Sam Sykes