The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2014 November Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments The holidays are a great time to indulge a little and have fun. With this month’s challenge we’re going to get started a little early. Just read one book of your choice—anything you want. It can be the latest new release, or a book on your reading list you have been dying to get to, even re-read an old favorite. The only rule is to make sure you enjoy it!

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments what a great challenge, I enjoy all the books I read. I can read almost anything I have and enjoy it for the challenge.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments Yay! Easy peasy so everyone can participate!!

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 922 comments I have finished my November challenge book! It is Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan. And I hope to finish another book before the month is out!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Right now I'm working on finishing The Well of Ascension, by Brandon Sanderson and am loving it.

message 6: by Debbie (last edited Nov 06, 2014 03:39PM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 922 comments I have finished my second book for the month and, yes, both of my books were well underway at the end of October. My second book is Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King I will confess that I cheated a bit. This reading was an audiobook so I opted to not listen to the Appendices. This was my 8th reading of the book and, having read the Appendices the other 7 times, I figured I could be excused to bypass them this time.

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 49 comments I am re-reading the Harry Potter books which I love! So far this month I have read the 2nd and 3rd books in the series.

message 8: by Becky (last edited Nov 07, 2014 11:24AM) (new)

Becky | 277 comments I've read two books I really enjoyed this month: The Little Stranger which was a haunted house book that didn't arrive in time for me to read over Halloween, so I read it in November, and Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl, a true story that I LOVED!

message 9: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 43 comments I read and enjoyed two books this past week, Because of Love by Shauna V. Brown and Drone Games by Joel Narlock. I also re-read Snow Angels by Lezlie Anderson. I may have read some others, but these stand out in my mind.

message 10: by Ann (last edited Nov 12, 2014 01:58PM) (new)

Ann | 273 comments I just got my copy of Clariel, Garth Nix's latest release in his Old Kingdom series, also known as the Abhorsen series. I was sad when I thought he'd finished with this series several years ago so it was a great surprise to hear about another book coming out. I've been waiting with baited breath for Clariel to come out, so you can guess what I'll be reading next.

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I just finished The Green Mile, by Stephen King. I had seen the movie along time ago and decided to read the book. I had forget a lot of it, but I really enjoyed it. Am glad i read it, now I will watch it again.
Now to decide what to read next.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 389 comments I finally finished Who Killed Roger Ackroyd? which was a fascinating scholarly look at mystery, psychology, and the act of reading. Short but dense, lol.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished The Goldfinch this week - definitely my favorite book this year. I would be careful who I recommended it to (not family, definitely), but it is an amazing meditation on the role of the Beautiful in the stream of life's potential ugliness (and who doesn't have that, on occasion, eh?). Astonishing book, to me.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachie1688) | 9 comments I am reading "my sister's keeper"

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments With the sudden drop in temperatures, reading seems like just about the best way to spend what leisure time I have, especially curled up with a pile of blankets and pillows. While I've several great new books to read, this past weekend I found myself perusing several old favorites. As eagerly as I await a new book, sometimes there's nothing like re-reading one you already love.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Ann wrote: "I just got my copy of Clariel, Garth Nix's latest release in his Old Kingdom series, also known as the Abhorsen series. I was sad when I thought he'd finished with this series sever..."

I'm on hold for Clariel too. I met Nix once, years ago, and was so star-struck I acted like a total dork. :-)

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 922 comments I've finished a 3rd book this month, Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan. This is the 11th book in the Wheel of Time series.

message 18: by Marinda (new)

Marinda (marindak) | 30 comments I read Mountains Between Us, an LDS love story. It is not a typical romance. I really liked that one of the main characters was adopted. Proctor really nailed the emotion a child may feel when a family changes. I didn't cry, but I did tear up a couple times reading this book.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I received "Killing Kennedy" as a gift a couple of years ago, and so I decided to finally give it a shot. Although I didn't learn much that I didn't already know about the assassination of Pres. Kennedy, I still gave it 3 Stars.

message 20: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I just finished Cruel Beauty, I gave it 4 stars. I thought it was well written and an original story line.

message 21: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleyhowellfoerster) | 17 comments I listened to the audiobook of "Killing Kennedy" last year and loved it! It was read by the author, who is a broadcaster, and that really made a difference. I read parts of the book but enjoyed listening more. I've discovered that the reader can improve or detract from the story. I'd give it 4 stars.

message 22: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleyhowellfoerster) | 17 comments Shirley wrote: "I listened to the audiobook of "Killing Kennedy" last year and loved it! It was read by the author, who is a broadcaster, and that really made a difference. I read parts of the book but enjoyed lis..."

I just finished "Edge of Eternity," the3rd and final book of Ken Follett's Century. It begins in the early 1960s and ends when the Berlin wall came down. Although this is my era, I learned a lot esp. about conditions in the Soviet Union and Germany. I think the first book, "Fall of the Giants" was my favorite.

message 23: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 86 comments I read, among others, Elizabeth Enright's "The Sea is All Around." Her books are always satisfying comfort reads for me, and this one was no exception. Thank goodness for inter-library loan (it's out of print).

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments I read an interesting nonfiction book called The Universal Sense: How Hearing Shapes the Mind.
I also read The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
Enjoyed both.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Brittany is our prize drawing winner for November’s reading challenge. She read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Congrats, Brittany!

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments Congrats, Brittany!

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 922 comments Hooray for Brittany!

message 29: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 49 comments Yay! Thanks~