The Sarah Addison Allen Fan Group discussion

Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1)
This topic is about Garden Spells
GARDEN SPELLS Re-Read > Re-Reading Chapters 9-10 of GARDEN SPELLS

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Oct 24, 2014 07:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie In Chapter 9, Claire continues ignoring Tyler, and Sydney and Bay run into Henry at the grocery store, where he knocks over a whole display of oranges. One of my favorite quotes from Henry: "Here's a secret about men. Our foolishness is always unintentional. But it's usually for a good reason."

While at the store, Bay notices that her mother and Henry belong together. "Didn't she see, didn't she see how calm she was around him, how their hearts were beating in rhythm? The pulses at their throats were in sync." When Henry asks Sydney and Bay to come over for ice cream and to see the cows at the dairy farm, Bay enthusiastically agrees. Once she's there, she is even more certain that her mother belongs with Henry at the dairy farm.

When Sydney and Bay arrive back at the house after midnight, Claire has been waiting up, terrified that they left town without telling her. Sydney apologizes to her, but Claire is so frustrated and upset that she goes out to tend the garden. Sydney calls Tyler to come over and try to comfort Claire.

Once Tyler arrives, he's met with the vision he had of Claire in his dream after eating one of the Waverley apples. Claire is crying while tending the garden. Once she manages to tell Tyler why, she says: "You all leave. My mother, my grandmother, Sydney. Even Evanelle has someone else now." Then they have a... special moment... in the garden! The next morning, Claire wants to pretend like it never happened.

On the other side of town, Evanelle accompanies Fred to his house to pack up his things -- he'll be moving in with Evanelle. I love what Fred says about Evanelle: "This old woman was his hero, no doubt about it. You are who you are, whether you like it or not, so why not like it?" In some ways, that is the whole point of being a Waverley. Embrace your quirks! They are magical! What do you think?

Angela Holtz (lilacwolf) | 16 comments Tyler loves Claire so completely and so gently. He doesn't think he has to fix her, but he is careful not to hurt her. I think Fred needs Evanelle, to learn how to go with the flow. It's good he looks up to her, it will make that easier.

I just grin about Henry and Sydney, she deserves that kind of sweet love and compassion, especially after Bay's father.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Allen (sarahaddisonallen) | 13 comments I wrote Fred into the story exclusively for Evanelle. It was an unconventional happily-ever-after, but everything about Evanelle is unconventional. She's one of my favorite characters!

Azra Qizilbash | 3 comments Sarah Addison Allen wrote: "I wrote Fred into the story exclusively for Evanelle. It was an unconventional happily-ever-after, but everything about Evanelle is unconventional. She's one of my favorite characters!"
-- Evanelle Waverly was like a mentor for me that was weaved into the book. When she said "you are who you are, so why not like it!" this really, really resonated in my thoughts even after I finished reading, Sarah. (of course, amongst many other characters and phrases in the novel!! ) I'm already anticipating what wisdom will await us in 'First Frost', SO excited and filled with anticipation for it to come out, I just want to pop like bubblegum!! :)