English Mysteries Club discussion

Queries and Definitions > New To Mysteries? Ask for suggestions here.

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aja (new)

Aja Nichole (darkblonde) Hi all
I have always been on the edge of being a huge mystery fan but the shelves can be hard to navigate and with many Prolific writers a bit intimidating. I could use some suggestions of all time favourite author/books. I have read Sherlock, and am making my way through miss Marple and Poirot. Thanks for all of your help.

message 2: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Oct 24, 2014 11:51AM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Welcome Aja!

Some (not all!) of Josephine Tey's books are good. The Daughter of Time is one of the best books I've ever read (any genre) & I also liked Brat Ferrar.

Ngaio Marsh can be good.

Georgette Heyer wrote some good mysteries. I'm in the process of rereading them, but I know originally my favourites were Death in the Stocks & Envious Casca.

My favourite more modern read are the works of PD James.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) ***Carol*** wrote: "Some (not all!) of Josephine Tey's books are good.

*leaves group*

message 4: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum ***Carol*** wrote: "Welcome Aja!

Some (not all!) of Josephine Tey's books are good. The Daughter of Time is one of the best books I've ever read (any genre) & I also liked Brat Ferrar.

Ngaio Marsh can be good.

Ge..."

I whole-heartedly agree with you, Carol, except that the only PD James I started to read was Death Comes to Pemberley. And I didn't finish it. I was afraid Jane Austen's ghost would strangle me in my sleep if I did...

And don't forget Margery Allingham and Dorothy L. Sayers. And Ellis Peters, especially the "modern" Felse mysteries. And Patricia Wentworth is fun, too, and...

message 5: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Tracey, librarian on strike wrote: "***Carol*** wrote: "Some (not all!) of Josephine Tey's books are good.

*leaves group*"

You didn't really leave the group, did you, Tracey?

message 6: by Aja (new)

Aja Nichole (darkblonde) Thank you all! I look forward to your suggestions!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Karlyne, I've heard Death Comes to Pemberley isn't great.

But I think I've enjoyed all her earlier works.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Karlyne wrote: "Tracey, librarian on strike wrote: "***Carol*** wrote: "Some (not all!) of Josephine Tey's books are good.

*leaves group*"

You didn't really leave the group, did you, Tracey?"

That's really weird. I've never had any interaction with this poster before.

message 9: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum ***Carol*** wrote: "Karlyne, I've heard Death Comes to Pemberley isn't great.

But I think I've enjoyed all her earlier works."

I think I just couldn't enjoy Pemberley because it tried so hard to be Austen and it failed so terribly!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Catherine Aird too!
And Peter James. oh dear, I could go on and on......

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 109 comments Death Comes to Pemberley, the book, defeated me but the PBS show airs tomorrow night in the states. Ill be watching.

message 12: by Kay (new)

Kay | 218 comments I have read four books by P.J.Tracy and enjoyed all of them. I find out about a lot of good authors on the "currently reading" discussion of this group. I just read a book by Jussi Adler-Olsen for my local book club and have reserved the next one. Not British, but really good.

message 13: by Shauna (last edited Oct 26, 2014 04:32AM) (new)

Shauna (shaunathesheep) Please don't judge P D James oeuvre by her dire 'Death Comes To Pemberley', we all make mistakes!!!
Catherine Aird is very underrated in my view.

message 14: by Carolien (last edited Oct 27, 2014 11:02AM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) Karlyne wrote: "***Carol*** wrote: "Karlyne, I've heard Death Comes to Pemberley isn't great.

But I think I've enjoyed all her earlier works."

I think I just couldn't enjoy Pemberley because it tried so hard to..."

You'll enjoy her other books. They are excellent mysteries and very well written. Try An Unsuitable Job for a Woman which is the first of a two book series or Cover Her Face which is the first of the Adam Dagleish series. Very different to Pemberley.

And Susan Hill's Simon Serailler series is one of my favourites.

message 15: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum You've both convinced me to give her another try! I'll keep my eyes peeled when I'm book shopping.

message 16: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Rizzolo (skrizzolo) | 30 comments I thought Death Comes to Pemberley was...okay. Not my favorite, but I did read it all the way through. In general, P.D. James is a fabulous writer. I've read most of her books (and she seems to still be going strong at 80 or whatever she is now).

You've reminded me to watch the new Masterpiece mystery film of her Pemberley book. I hope it's on the PBS site for online viewing.

message 17: by C.J. (new)

C.J. (cjverburg) | 225 comments Whew! the TV version of Death Comes to Pemberley is quite watchable (though I can't warm up to this Darcy) - much less grating than the book, where James never got within a mile of Austen's voice.

message 18: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 18 comments Where and when is this airing? I actually liked the book. It wasn't "a great book" but I enjoyed it.

message 19: by Shauna (new)

Shauna (shaunathesheep) Murder at Mansfield Park by Lynn Shepherd If you want to try another attempt at a murder with Austen characters then check this out. I thought it was better than the Pemberley book.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 109 comments It started on PBS, in the states, on Sunday.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan I *loved* the PBS series! I thought the production was wonderful and all the attention to detail outstanding.

I haven't read the book, but now I'm tempted to see what all the tempest in a teacup was all about! :)

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 109 comments I thought the
series was much better than the book but see for yourself. We are all so different in our likes and dislikes.

message 23: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 18 comments My sister recorded it for me, so I was able to watch it last weekend. I had read the book, and I liked it a lot. The TV production was even better. Less "dry" perhaps, and you didn't have all of the back story digressions. There were some flashbacks, but only a few. I didn't have any objections to the actors. Lydia was especially good, I thought. And Georgiana. I will watch it again.

message 24: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Barnes | 87 comments I thought Death Comes to Pemberley weirdly miscast. Especially Lizzy without her fine eyes. But it was a tolerable mystery.

To go back to the OP's post:

Aja wrote: "Hi all
I have always been on the edge of being a huge mystery fan but the shelves can be hard to navigate and with many Prolific writers a bit intimidating. I could use some suggestions of all time..."

I am currently going through Dorothy L. Sayers, and can tell you the best place to start on her, IMO, is Strong Poison. Great fun and I am quite in love with her detective, Lord Peter Wimsey :)

message 25: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Emily wrote: "I thought Death Comes to Pemberley weirdly miscast. Especially Lizzy without her fine eyes. But it was a tolerable mystery.

To go back to the OP's post:

Aja wrote: "Hi all
I have always been on t..."

I wiggle between Wimsey and Campion, probably because there are similarities!

message 26: by Emilia (last edited Nov 26, 2014 11:58AM) (new)

Emilia Barnes | 87 comments What is the best book to start Campion with? The first according to Goodreads is The Crime at Black Dudley, but apparently he is only a minor character in this? Any advice, I'd appreciate it - I heard good things!

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Emily wrote: "What is the best book to start Campion with? The first according to Goodreads is The Crime at Black Dudley, but apparently he is only a minor character in this? Any advice, I'd appreci..."

I wouldn't call Campion a minor character in Black Dudley. He isn't as defined as he becomes in the later books but he is still the hero IMO. Unfortunately, I don't remember enough of the individual books to suggest a good starting place (other than just following the publication order)...

message 28: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Barnes | 87 comments Thank you Leslie!

message 29: by E.L. (new)

E.L. (elouisebates) I agree with all the suggestions here - especially Sayers, Marsh, and Peters. As for Campion, anything before "Fashion in Shrouds" (which is, I believe, where his romance begins - at least it's well established in "Traitor's Purse") is fine for starting. "Mystery Mile," the second published one, sets the tone nicely for the rest of the series, somewhat better than "The Crime at Black Dudley," I think.

message 30: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Barnes | 87 comments Thank you E.L. that sounds great, especially the romance bit! One of the things I love about Lord Peter, other than that his character develops over the course of his adventures, is his romance.

message 31: by Rebes (new)

Rebes | 16 comments Ooh, I just finished Daughter of Time and thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

message 32: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 102 comments Rebes wrote: "Ooh, I just finished Daughter of Time and thoroughly enjoyed it! :)"

It is a wonderful book, isn't it!

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan Emily wrote: "What is the best book to start Campion with? The first according to Goodreads is The Crime at Black Dudley, but apparently he is only a minor character in this? Any advice, I'd appreci..."

www.stopyourekillingme.com has books listed in order, by author, genre, location, occupation, etc. I use it all the time.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Everyman wrote: "Rebes wrote: "Ooh, I just finished Daughter of Time and thoroughly enjoyed it! :)"

It is a wonderful book, isn't it!"

Indeed! One of my all time favourite mysteries. I would love to read again!

message 35: by Emilia (last edited Dec 12, 2014 05:29AM) (new)

Emilia Barnes | 87 comments Susan wrote: "www.stopyourekillingme.com has books listed in order, by author, genre, location, occupation, etc. I use it all the time. "

Thank you!

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 109 comments This is the best site ever. I know what I'll be doing for the rest of he day. Thanks

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Susan wrote: "This is the best site ever. I know what I'll be doing for the rest of he day. Thanks"

I've just signed up for the newsletter - thanks!

message 38: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 7 comments Really enjoying reading this thread and welcoming the recommendations. For modern writers, I recommend Reginald Hill and Barry Maitland. I find both writers consistently good. And totally agree with the Georgette Heyer recommendation for her murder mystery books.

message 39: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 7 comments Has anyone tried the Sara Woods series with Anthony Maitland as the detective?

message 40: by Shauna (new)

Shauna (shaunathesheep) I read the Anthony Maitland books years ago, my local library had lots of them.

message 41: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 7 comments Shauna wrote: "I read the Anthony Maitland books years ago, my local library had lots of them."

We're they good, Shauna? I guess you liked them if you read lots of them?

message 42: by Shauna (last edited Dec 14, 2014 03:24AM) (new)

Shauna (shaunathesheep) They were about 3 stars I think. A pleasant read but nothing more than that. I used to read a lot of Michael Underwood too
Michael Underwood

message 43: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 7 comments Thanks, I might give them a try. I'll chase up Michael underwood too.

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna Lord (annalordauthor) Death Comes To Pemberley died around page three. It was a made-for-TV soap masquerading as a classic detective piece.
anna

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 109 comments I agree with Anna, I gave up.

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 41 comments How about Ruth Rendell? Comments ? "Judgement in Stone" is wonderful . What else?

message 47: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) | 1593 comments Mod
This thread has been renamed, so members can find it more easily.

message 48: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 158 comments I wonder what you´re thinking of Patricia Wentworth´s GA mysteries? I got a bunch on kindle, when they were on sale, but obviously they´re rather superficial. Thoughts?