Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Name of the Rose
This topic is about The Name of the Rose
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Eco, Umberto ; The Name of the Rose ; Relaxed Buddy read ; Start date 6 December 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 23, 2014 06:25PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30937 comments Mod

The year is 1327. Franciscans in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate.When his delicate mission is suddenly overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths, Brother William turns detective. He collects evidence, deciphers secret symbols and coded manuscripts, and digs into the eerie labyrinth of the abbey where extraordinary things are happening under the over of night. A spectacular popular and critical success, The Name of the Rose is not only a narrative of a murder investigation but an astonishing chronicle of the Middle Ages

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

What is a buddy read?

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30937 comments Mod
reserved

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments I might try and join in on this one. I'm very slowly making my way through the 1001 Books To Read Before You Die list and this one is on it. Yay!

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments It's one I have had on my TBR shelf for a long while. I may try to join this one as well.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I would like to join this BR. :)

message 6: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments I have it on my bookshelf - it is just a matter of squeezing it in.

Rose | 599 comments I am totally in for this. I've heard it's amazing.

message 8: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Rose wrote: "I am totally in for this. I've heard it's amazing."

Pretty much this. It's on a bunch of must-read lists, too, and it sounds great.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments I am in for this.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in! This book has been sitting on my shelf enough!

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex | 1018 comments Still hoping to squeeze this one in!

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Has anyone started this yet? Am planning to start tomorrow after I finish my current read.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Just got my copy today. I'll probably start tonight or tomorrow!

message 14: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 599 comments I'll start this tonight :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I plan on starting some tonight or tomorrow.

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments I started this last night and am thinking i may be in a little over my head. It's not a very easy read to me so I'm interested to see what all you guys think.
I'm only around 8% in so far though so I'm hoping i can get into the groove of the story a bit more a bit further along.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments I will start it later tonight.

Michelle it is supposed to be a difficult read! I hope that we can figure it out together through this Buddy read!

message 18: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex | 1018 comments I was wondering why nobody had started this yet, then realised I'd forgotten to turn notifications on. Whoops! Hoping to start this tonight.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I started it and on page 105. So for I'm not liking it but it's mostly likely a "me" issue.

message 20: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Dec 07, 2014 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Michelle wrote: "I started this last night and am thinking i may be in a little over my head. It's not a very easy read to me so I'm interested to see what all you guys think.
I'm only around 8% in so far though s..."

My issue is that I'm bored out of my mind reading it plus the religious aspect of it, it's just boring me to death. I'm just going to push through this thing as fast as I can. Why did I put this as my clue book? Why? Urgh.

Oh, page 107 is good. The best part so far. Also, I'd like to hear if anyone is enjoying this.

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I started this last night and am thinking i may be in a little over my head. It's not a very easy read to me so I'm interested to see what all you guys think.
I'm only around 8% i..."

Thank you for voicing my thoughts as well! I wasn't game enough to say in case I offended someone but the story is also boring me to death. All of the religious history stuff is just so bland I find I'm skimming an awful lot.
I'm not as far in as you yet but hope to get more read later today.

message 22: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 599 comments I'm only on chapter six. It was slow going (this may be because I just binged on urban fantasy books), but I think I'm going to like it. It's hard not to skim when he details statues.

Also, does anyone else think this narrator is a bit of a drama queen? I may only think that, because he just described a seeing a monk in the library as like seeing the devil. lol

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments The parts I really don't like is the Latin. He doesn't even tell us what they are saying. I'm like umm, yes, I don't know Latin. :/ Don't make me feel lowly because I don't know it. :P

message 24: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 599 comments The Latin makes me feel incredibly guilty, because I took it in college, and should remember much more than I do. Except, I'm pretty sure a large chunk of it is medieval Latin, and I took classical....that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Rose wrote: "The Latin makes me feel incredibly guilty, because I took it in college, and should remember much more than I do. Except, I'm pretty sure a large chunk of it is medieval Latin, and I took classical..."

lol. haha. ;)

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments Hahaha, let's just hope that there isn't a very important plot twist written in any of the latin otherwise we'll all be very disappointed!

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments And I fell asleep after reading the first chapter! Lol

And I don't know Latin!! :( :(

I am going to check out if there are any help sites for this book, which might help understand the Latin as well as the background. This one is going to be a slow read for me as it is already testing my patience but I am NOT going to give up!!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Srividya wrote: "And I fell asleep after reading the first chapter! Lol

And I don't know Latin!! :( :(

I am going to check out if there are any help sites for this book, which might help understand the Latin as w..."

Lol. I think the majority of us are with you on this one Sri. I, however, am not going to go slow. I'm going to speed through this one. I'm on page 200 and it has picked up but there is a lot of Latin. There is some good humor going on too. So it isn't as boring, like in the beginning. Still a lot of religious talk. Not so mind numbing boring but still there. There are parts where I was snickering.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Yeah Rachel - I saw that you were reading it for Clue.. So you go ahead, will follow slowly ;)

I hope I get to those snickering parts soon. I don't find the religious talk boring as I am quite interested, albeit only in an academic way - So lets see how it goes!

message 30: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Aaahhh, I really wanted to read this one too (whining voice).

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Sarah - don't worry, join in whenever you can! I am sure I won't be finishing this soon! You might be able to squeeze it in.

message 32: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments I am hoping to try this out as soon as I get my copy but you all are freaking me out with this book! Lol....but I'll give it a try and my goodness Srividya, you are determined! Not sure if I can be so much but I'll give it a shot!

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Yay Margaret. Am glad you are joining us for this one. Would love to pick your brains on this one! hee hee.. ulterior motive and all, you see! ;)

message 34: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 599 comments I'm about a third of the way through. I have to say it's worth it to read a line like "He had the eyes of a maiden seeking commerce with an incubus." I laughed so, so hard. It is picking up a lot, I do wish I wasn't getting very complicated primers on the different sects of Catholicism/monk-hood.

Also, just a really random note. In the intro the narrator is all like (to paraphrase to the point of insanity) "these men are dead now, so I won't bother describing their features" . LIAR! There are paragraphs of physical descriptions. Now every time I read them I get more confused about that part of the intro.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm 3/4 of the way finished and I have to say it gets better, once you get to the 100 page mark it better. I'm liking it now, especially the dead bodies and such. :)

message 36: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex | 1018 comments I've only read the first chapter so far, and I agree that this isn't going to be the easiest read in the world. I don't give up easily though so going to get at least another hundred pages done after work this evening.

message 37: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 599 comments Zee wrote: "I've only read the first chapter so far, and I agree that this isn't going to be the easiest read in the world. I don't give up easily though so going to get at least another hundred pages done aft..."

Don't worry. The first chapter is the slowest. It really does improve/you get used to the writing style.

message 38: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Dec 08, 2014 12:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments So, I finished. I gave it 3 stars. There are some major issues I do have with the book. The huge one is the Latin. I will not look up the meanings. It's just not going to happen. Still, there are areas where I really enjoyed the book. It was sure really ify in the beginning of the book.

message 39: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Srividya wrote: "Yay Margaret. Am glad you are joining us for this one. Would love to pick your brains on this one! hee hee.. ulterior motive and all, you see! ;)"

@Srividya: lol...I knew that you were just trolling me in with the lure of analyzing the book! I am waiting on my copy, of course while I am reading three books already!

@RachelvlehcaR: I love your comment about the "Dead bodies and such" I need some inspiration to get me to the book and that might be it! nah...I am squeamish :)

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I'm 3/4 of the way finished and I have to say it gets better, once you get to the 100 page mark it better. I'm liking it now, especially the dead bodies and such. :)"

Ok, you've piqued my interest a bit now with that comment. This afternoon I'm going to take a big breath and dive back into it...

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments @Margaret - I am what they call selfishly selfless! Lol

I also hope to make some dent into this one today! I have been juggling too many as it is.

message 42: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex | 1018 comments Ok, I've now finished matins on Day 2 where (view spoiler).

So far I quite like William of Baskerville. He reminded me of Sherlock Holmes the way he was able to work out all the details about that horse in the very first chapter. I agree with Rose about Adso - he is a total drama queen in the way that he describes people (after saying he wouldn't describe anyone, haha).

message 43: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex | 1018 comments I also think my kindle is confused. It says I'm on page 114 which is 11% through - but that would make this book 1000+ pages which it isn't. Sigh.

message 44: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 599 comments I did not expect that scene in the kitchen!

message 45: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments oh boy, I hope to pick this up today, I am making a trip to town, civilization! So, I am intrigued about that scene in the kitchen. lol

message 46: by Rose (last edited Dec 10, 2014 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 599 comments Finished. Ofta!

End spoilers (view spoiler)

message 47: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex | 1018 comments Does anyone else get annoyed by the subtitle of each chapter telling you exactly what's going to happen in that chapter?

message 48: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex | 1018 comments I'm done now too.

(view spoiler)

I think all the elements of a good plot were there, but the writing style really didn't hold my interest very well.

message 49: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I just hit page 100 (as I've had very little time to read lately) and finished off that chapter, leaving me just before Compline on the first day. I'm really enjoying it! Others have mentioned the writing style, but I'm weird like that and actually like books that ramble on and around the plot. Except when he's talking about architecture and incomprehensible inter-order politics.

Also, 'fleshly' is a very funny word and he uses it a lot. Fleshly. Fleshly.

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments Zee wrote: "Does anyone else get annoyed by the subtitle of each chapter telling you exactly what's going to happen in that chapter?"

Yes! That bothers me so much too!

I'm like 'Well, why do I need to bother trying to read all the rest of the chapter now I know what's going to happen now'?

« previous 1