YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Frankly in Love
This topic is about Frankly in Love
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Frankly In Love by David Yoon - Restarting January 15th 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2159 comments High school senior Frank Li is a Limbo–his term for Korean-American kids who find themselves caught between their parents’ traditional expectations and their own Southern California upbringing. His parents have one rule when it comes to romance–“Date Korean”–which proves complicated when Frank falls for Brit Means, who is smart, beautiful–and white. Fellow Limbo Joy Song is in a similar predicament, and so they make a pact: they’ll pretend to date each other in order to gain their freedom. Frank thinks it’s the perfect plan, but in the end, Frank and Joy’s fake-dating maneuver leaves him wondering if he ever really understood love–or himself–at all.

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 46572 comments Mod
I forgot to pick this up when I was at my parents! So can't get to it until the middle or end of the month :(

Katie | 3074 comments Oh no Maddie!! I'll check back in at the middle of the month to see your thoughts on the book so you won't be commenting by yourself!! I will probably start this one this week because I planned too many books for this month and need to keep up with them all!

Thank you! And at least I'll have your updates to respond to!

Heather | 10195 comments Maddie I will read it with you then!

Thanks Heather!

Katie | 3074 comments Chapter 9- Oh man! I've been waiting for this book!! (view spoiler)

I can't wait to read it too!

message 9: by Katie (last edited Oct 02, 2019 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katie | 3074 comments Very quick read!!

Chapter 13- (view spoiler)

Katie | 3074 comments I will definitely be checking back with you ladies about this book!! I have so many thoughts while reading this... :) HA! I will for sure want to hear/read your comments :)

Katie | 3074 comments Chapter 20- (view spoiler)

Katie | 3074 comments Chapter 21- (view spoiler)

Chapter 23- (view spoiler)

Chapter 24- (view spoiler)

Yay! I did a quiz earlier in the year for which upcoming book was most like me and the answer was this one! So I'm keen to read it too!

Azraa Hello! Can I join this buddy read group? This is my first time so I’m not sure what the rules are but hoping this is how it is you join the groups.

Katie | 3074 comments Welcome Azraa! Of course you can join us! If you’re doing this for the monthly challenge, you just need a few updates on your thoughts about the book. (Minimum of 4 updates) I try to put mine in a spoiler tag that people have to click on so I don’t accidentally spoil anything :) Looking forward to you joining us!

Katie | 3074 comments Chapter 25- (view spoiler)

Katie | 3074 comments Finished- (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Opening thoughts - hope the narrator is relatable/likeable, or this could be tough.

Katie | 3074 comments Karen! I didn't know you were reading this one! :) I love reading people's thoughts and comments on books! I'll be checking in with you guys!

Azraa Thank you so much! I am not doing this for the monthly challenge, am just reading it for fun and thought about trying to read it with someone as it will be fun to share my thoughts.

Yes I love buddy reads Azraa!

message 22: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2159 comments @Maddie - I fell behind (whats new!) so I'm waiting on this one.. Let me know when you have it to start and I'll read with you!

Will do!

Azraa Yeah they sound great Maddie! Though my goodreads app doesn’t notify me about the new comments over here so sorry for late replies.

You can change it to give you email notifications which is what I've done.

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Katie wrote: "Karen! I didn't know you were reading this one! :) I love reading people's thoughts and comments on books! I'll be checking in with you guys!"

Got it as a freebie from last month's challenge, and I thought it would get us that crucial 'I'...

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Ch1. The voice is a bit ingratiating to start, though the set-up of the family is interesting.

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Up to ch6. Both Frank and Joy seem to understand the issues each is facing.

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Up to ch16. Something about this feels wrong. I understand£ what Frank and Joy are trying to pull off, but it’s not fair on the others.

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Up to ch19. It feels as if Frank might be coming to see what’s important to him, but everything seems a bit disjointed.

Katie | 3074 comments Love reading everyone's thoughts on this.

@Karen-I remember thinking everything seemed disjointed as well while reading this...

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Up to ch25. I want to b3 happy they’re happy (ish) but it all just seems such hard work.

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Up to ch27. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Up to ch30. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Finished. Review on home page. Aspects of this were interesting, and I did like the growing focus on Frank ‘s relationship with his family. However, Frank as a narrator was self-absorbed and I found him irritating rather than endearing.

Katie | 3074 comments Just checking back in to see when everyone else was going to read this :)

I'm in a slump, and have exams next week, so I'm really not reading much at the moment! Sorry!

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83330 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting November 16th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments I started this today. I'm in the middle of chapter 4. (view spoiler)

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments I didn't actually get the chance to read much more of this before my ebook copy was returned to the library. I read maybe a chapter or two more? I really didn't have enough time to read it, but by golly I tried. It was tech week for my play, and then the performances and with school and everything I was just too busy, I barely read anything at all. I did however put a hold on the audiobook and I will hopefully be getting it in maybe 4 weeks, so I do plan to continue it!

message 41: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2159 comments Let me know when you get it again and I'll try to join then! I keep planning to jump in on this one and schedule too many.

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments HeatherH wrote: "Let me know when you get it again and I'll try to join then! I keep planning to jump in on this one and schedule too many."

My audio copy has just come in so I have 3 weeks to finish it. Did you still want to read it?

message 43: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2159 comments Callie wrote: "HeatherH wrote: "Let me know when you get it again and I'll try to join then! I keep planning to jump in on this one and schedule too many."

My audio copy has just come in so I have 3 weeks to fin..."

Yes! We can set the thread for any time, I might be a few days before I start but I'm in! I'm wrapping up a couple of others between tonight and tomorrow and need a break from all the fantasy stuff!

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments @HeatherH I'll probably be a couple days also, would the 15th or 16th work for you to start?

message 45: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2159 comments I'll request it for the 15th!

message 46: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2159 comments ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date changed. Restarting January 15th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

Hahaha trying again Heather? I still haven't read it either :p

message 48: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2159 comments Maddie wrote: "Hahaha trying again Heather? I still haven't read it either :p"

haha yeah.. Hopefully this time is successful!

I'm not even going to join :p I know I won't do it yet

callie (artsy_bibliophile) | 909 comments Do you want to set a schedule or just read however much?

« previous 1