Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Serieses! > Fix series title and add books

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caz (new)

Caz May (cazmay) | 32 comments Hi,
I posted earlier to have a librarian add a series for me, but I made a spelling error in the series title. A librarian then created the series with the spelling error before contacting me to see what the correct information should be. I replied but nothing has happened to rectify this issue.
As an author, this makes me so angry that a supposed librarian can make this change that I can't correct.
So could this please be fixed to be the following.
1. Remove the series The Makenney family saga
2. Add the series The Mackenney Family Saga
3. And add the following books to the new series The Mackenney Family Saga
CS book 1
DA book 2
UA book 3
US book 4
FS book 5

Please message me first before changing anything if this is unclear.
Thanks,
Caz

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13582 comments The way I see it: you posted the request with the spelling mistake, the librarian created the series, added book 1, and then noticed it had Mackenney in the title, so before going any further, they asked you which it should be.

Maybe they haven't had time to check back for your answer yet. Please remember we are all volunteers here, answering requests in our spare time.

The librarian acted very responsibly, so being angry with them and saying they are a "supposed librarian" is uncalled for in my view. After all, it was you who made the mistake.

There is no need to remove the series and create a new one. Simply adding a c to the existing name was enough, which was what I did: https://www.goodreads.com/series/2715...

I'm leaving the addition of the other books to somebody else.

message 3: by Caz (new)

Caz May (cazmay) | 32 comments I appreciate you fixing that. And I completely understand that you’re a volunteer. I’m just a little fed up as an author I cannot change my own works and get the third degree when I do ask for a change. I’m a real life qualified librarian which means nothing to goodreads apparently. Checking with me before making the change or checking back promptly would have been appreciated...I hope you can understand things from my POV as well. We’re all human and blaming me for a simple typo mistake is unfair to.
Sorry to bother you with a request.

message 4: by Caz (new)

Caz May (cazmay) | 32 comments I’m guessing I now have to make a new post to have the books added?

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13582 comments Caz wrote: "Checking with me before making the change or checking back promptly would have been appreciated..."

But the fact is, they did check. When they created the series, they saw the series name on the book was different, so they asked you which was correct.

Who knows why they didn't check back "promptly"? Maybe they had to leave for work. Maybe they had a real-life crisis happening at home. Maybe they had other things on their mind and forgot.

Sometimes authors take ages to reply to a request for clarification. It is unreasonable to expect us to wait around until they do.

And no, please don't keep making new posts for the same request. That is just confusing.

I have to leave now, but I may get to this later today, if somebody else doesn't beat me to it.

message 6: by Caz (new)

Caz May (cazmay) | 32 comments I understand what you’re saying but putting myself in the shoes of a librarian (which I am irl) I would have gone about it differently. I’m not intentionally trying to make it difficult. I’d appreciate if it could be done as soon as possible. I only reposted the topic as it seemed like the original one had been overlooked and I didn’t want the series be incorrect on my profile.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22825 comments You as a rl librarian should appreciate the difference between working a set number of hours and available to answer questions and being anywhere in the world and in a totally different time zone, and all the pressures of rl to deal with.

I've added the books to your series.

message 8: by Caz (new)

Caz May (cazmay) | 32 comments Thanks Sandra. I appreciate you fixing it for me. And yes I do appreciate your time and completely understand. I work and write in my own time. I know life gets in the way of these things but I believe if you start something you should try to finish it and/or check everything before making a change.
Again thank you for adding the books to the series for me. Is there a rule about adding teaser covers to books or is it best not to?

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22825 comments As I said, the librarian could well have been asleep due to time zones. We can't be on the computer 24 hrs a day.

It would probably be best not to if you intend having any ARCs, cause if you did, we'd have to keep the teaser cover.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13039 comments Caz wrote: "I believe if you start something you should try to finish it and/or check everything before making a change."

What I can tell happened was that the librarian created the series and added the first book, and then saw that the name had the typo and asked about it. I suppose they did not get back to it after that. I'm sorry you could not just edit yourself, but unfortunately Goodreads does not have that capability for series titles.

Is there a rule about adding teaser covers to books or is it best not to?
You can add a cover that says "Cover coming soon" or "To be revealed" etc. and then we can change it later.
Any cover that is associated with an ARC would be retained.

message 11: by Caz (new)

Caz May (cazmay) | 32 comments Hi Emily,
I have that on my other series but I was given a hard time about changing it last time. That’s why I asked. I may just leave it as it’s too much hassle.
Thanks for the reply.

message 12: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13582 comments Caz wrote: "Hi Emily,
I have that on my other series but I was given a hard time about changing it last time. That’s why I asked. I may just leave it as it’s too much hassle.
Thanks for the reply."

You were given a hard time? I simply asked you if the cover had been distributed in any way, which is a standard question we need to ask. When you replied in the negative, I deleted the covers.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 13: by Emily (last edited Sep 21, 2019 08:30AM) (new)

Emily | 13039 comments Caz wrote: "Hi Emily,
Thanks for the reply."

We ask everyone that question so that ARC covers can be kept if they were used. Some authors don't realize we create new editions for each cover, so we are required to ask.

message 14: by Sai (new)

Sai (saikan) | 254 comments Caz wrote: "A librarian then created the series with the spelling error before contacting me to see what the correct information should be. I replied but nothing has happened to rectify this issue."

I apologize for not getting back sooner to what I started on the other post.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.