What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Group Feedback + Report Spam > Request to Moderators regarding Organization

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley (last edited Sep 20, 2019 09:20AM) (new)

Shelley | 10 comments Dear Moderators,

I noticed that it is VERY difficult to find old posts on the “Unsolved:One book” threat unless a post has been commented on. No one had replied to my post because I think it kept getting buried under everyone else’s or buried under new posts. Which I completely understand (and I'm definitely not upset about), but I just got to thinking, and there's gotta be an easier way to organize that the "Unsolved: One book" discussion thread so that people can find their posts easier to see if anyone commented on it.

For example under solved you have 3-4 categories, 1) Adult Fiction 2) Adult Nonfiction or 3) Children's/YA and 4)Other.

I don't see why we can't do the same for the "Unsolved" thread.

My request is to please organize the “Undolved Thread” in the same way.

It would be so much easier for everyone to find their own post, the discussion thread overall wouldn't be so bogged down and also those who felt they were more familiar with particular age group of novels could go to that particular thread to better help people rather than having to sift through all discussion thread posts they think they can help answer.

I know it will be a pain in the ass to reorganize the current discussion posts into these categories but it would be more advantageous for everyone.

Please consider my request, if you do not have time to do this, I would be more than happy to become a moderator and to try and help sort the requests into these folders or discussion threads according to the age category of the book.

Sincerely,

Shelley Kolb
Library Director
Hillsboro Public Library
Goodreads Librarian

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Sep 21, 2019 07:45AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1589 comments Shelley wrote: "Dear Moderators,

I noticed that it is VERY difficult to find old posts on the “Unsolved:One book” threat unless a post has been commented on. No one had replied to my post because I think it kept ..."

I'm not a moderator, and I don't think it's a bad idea (I think I suggested something similar myself, once) but I don't think it will help much, if at all.

My $0.02:

1. You might be overestimating the capabilities of the average user a bit:

1.a. Some users can't even find the one "unsolved" folder; I shudder to think what would happen if there were more than one.
1.b. You'd be surprised how many appear to be convinced that books about Superman rescuing Miss America from being kidnaped by aliens are "non-fiction."
1.c. And with less clear-cut examples, it can be difficult to remember whether some books are fiction or non-fiction, if you read them 30 years ago.

2. The categories would have to be very specific if this would save responders any time. I mean, I would probably skip M/F Romance if I could, since I've only read like three of those in my life. But I've read tons of M/M romances, so if it were just a "Romance" category I'd still go through them all. I could also skip "YA published after 1985." But if the unsolveds were split into adult fiction, children/YA fiction, non-fiction, and other, I'd still have to go through each category.

2.a. If everyone followed the "group rules" such information would be in the header, so one could skip them more easily, but so many people just ignore the suggestions of what to put in the header.

3. Questions will still be "buried" pretty quickly. As a non-moderator, I tend to go back around four or five pages of "unsolveds" when I haven't been at my computer for a while. If I'm still in "unread" territory, so be it; that's the limit of my time and interest. If the "unsolved" section were split into four sections, I probably wouldn't go back five pages each; I'd just do one page of nonfiction and YA and two pages of adult fiction, or something.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rigg | 31 comments Just a suggestion: The search function is your friend on this group! That's how I found a thread of mine that got buried very quickly.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Shelley, thanks for your comment. We have had this request in the past and the reason we've never sliced and diced the Unsolved folder into multiple subfolders is basically that:

- this would require hours and hours of labor

- we decided it wouldn't help all that much (SamSpayedPI's comments in this regard are very much on target)

As mods we always strongly suggest that in addition to checking "Notify me when people reply" that you bookmark each query you create. You don't even have to create a browser bookmark, you could use your Goodreads profile page. Down at the bottom of your page is an area for comments. It's called "Shelley's Friend Comments" but you can just as easily use it to write notes to yourself. You can copy the link for each query you create into this Comments section and they will always be there, easily accessible.

Another tip is that you can view all your comments in this group, as well as all the topics you've started. In any comment that you've made, hover over your avatar. A box pops up allowing you to click on "see comment history." If you have a small number of comments you can read through them; if you have many comments, you can click on "My Group Topics."

The links to "My Group Topics" and "My Group Comments" are also on the group's home page right above the Moderators and their avatars.

message 5: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1217 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "As mods we always strongly suggest ... checking "Notify me when people reply."

I've long wished that the board software would do this automatically. That way whenever someone logged into the site they would see the red number over the bell at the top of the page and be prompted to remember that they've posted a question. How many times has a Mod bumped an old thread and the OP responds "I forgot I posted that here."?

message 6: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
re: people forgetting they've posted here -- I can't even tell you how often I've spent a not-insignificant amount of time searching for a book someone requested, and the OP never returns to confirm or deny. So frustrating!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32231 comments Mod
Be sure to click the notify link for your thread:

1) Desktop website -- Click "Notify me when people comment" at the bottom of the page. Anyone can use this link as a reminder/bookmark.

2) Mobile app -- Select the "Get e-mailed about comments" checkbox when you're creating the thread.

message 8: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1323 comments I vote GR's add TWO more quicklinks to the main page along side the three on the top right (notifications / messages / new friends).

One, would be a quick link to any and all threads started by the user.

Two, would be any thread the user chooses to tag for following (my threads, books that sound good, books that sound like something I've read but can't remember ATM, fav threads).

... I also wonder if there's a way for them to program a PIN for our preferred threads to stay at the top of the lists... and if there was a way to 'dismiss' any threads we have 'no use for'. Standard mod threads couldn't be blocked or dismissed, but especially on WTNOTB, it would be helpful to be able to tick 'this thread about WWII or Scifi or the vamp with green teeth' that is something I would never have read and won't ever be able to help with. Would be helpful in some other groups too tho.