Nagle - Multi Genre 2019 discussion

Intro

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by NN (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:22AM) (new)

NN | 9 comments Mod
After updating your progress on the book you are currently reading, add one quotation you have read that you found interesting. Then, discuss why you found it significant and comment on one other posts from this class.

message 2: by Grace (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:53AM) (new)

Grace | 4 comments Grace Y.
The Autobiography of Malcolm as told to Alex Haley

"The vibrant, pop-culture marketing of the film gave people permission to claim and lean about Malcolm in a forum that was not threatening"

I thought that this quote was significant because it addresses the reality of the situation. The truth was that not everyone was brave enough to step forward and speak out. Everyone, especially the African Americans, were too scared to stand out in fear of being more ostracized then they already were. However, by providing the general public with a non-threatening way of getting to know Malcolm, it humanized him, and made him more approachable and less threatening. I think this was an important step in accepting and understanding why and how inhumane things happened to people and why Malcolm felt like he needed to stand up.

message 3: by Ynha (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:53AM) (new)

Ynha Nguyen | 3 comments Ingrid Bergman: A Personal Biography by Charlotte Chandler
"She felt she always did her best work with people who believed in her talent. 'But then,' she said, 'doesn't everyone?'"

This quote reveals Ingrid's talent and her drive to always do better. Not only is she motivated and passionate, but her quote 'But then, doesn't everyone?' easily shows that she is kind-hearted and inspirational as well.

message 4: by NN (new)

NN | 9 comments Mod
Nice - Write down the page number - you may want it later for a genre!

message 5: by Vishal (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:56AM) (new)

Vishal Bansal | 2 comments "Don't misunderstand me, now. We all here like you, you know that. But you've got to be realistic about being a nigger. A lawyer-that's no realistic goal for a nigger. You need to think about something you can be." - Mr. Ostrowski

This quote was significant as this was the first time Malcolm X witnessed the sheer imbalance of segregated American Society. After going to a white school, Malcolm X's teacher derides him for being ambitious and he is racially profiled. I found it interesting that in one society, two entirely separate spheres of development could form, and that too based on the color of one's skin.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X

message 6: by NN (new)

NN | 9 comments Mod
Ynha wrote: ""She felt she always did her best work with people who believed in her talent. 'But then,' she said, 'doesn't everyone?'"

This quote reveals Ingrid's talent and her drive to always do better. Not ..."

Great quotation. Really shows her personality.

message 7: by Bayleigh (last edited Sep 20, 2019 09:02AM) (new)

Bayleigh | 4 comments Teri KanefieldFree To Be Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Story of Women and Law
"Yet, her Jewish education meant nothing during one of the most important moments of her life---because she was a girl."

After Ruth Bader Ginsburg's mother passed away the day before she graduated high school, she was not able to participate in the minyan. This is the meeting of men that is required for public mourning prayers in the Jewish faith. When there weren't enough men for the minyan, they had to go out and find more men even though there were many women in the house. Ruth was so invested in her faith that this was incredibly hurtful. Even though she was educated in her religion, she couldn't participate in an important meeting about the death of her mother. This event ignited her passion for the fight for women's equality in her future career.

message 8: by Ynha (new)

Ynha Nguyen | 3 comments Grace wrote: "Grace Y.
The Autobiography of Malcolm as told to Alex Haley

"The vibrant, pop-culture marketing of the film gave people permission to claim and lean about Malcolm in a forum that was not threateni..."

I like how you mention the general public's view on Malcom, not just your own.

message 9: by Neil (new)

Neil | 3 comments Shoe Dog A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight

"We were trying to create a brand, I said, but also a culture. We were fighting against conformity, against boringness, against drudgery. More than a product, we were trying to sell an idea - a spirit."

I think this quote shows what Phil Knight was trying to do with Nike. He didn't just view his work as a way to make money, but a way to change the world. Knight wanted to sell the idea of individuality and nonconformity and the idea that it is okay to be unique.

message 10: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Chung | 2 comments Hammer of the Gods
"During their decade-long prime in the 1970s, Led Zeppelin was the biggest band in the world, representing the booming record business at its peak as its biggest act. There was something magical, unnatural about Zeppelin's rise to power. Now they couldn't have done this by themselves, it was said" (4).

I found this quote interesting because of how cynical the members of this band were thought of. Some even believed that a couple of them even made a deal with the devil. I'm very curious as to what led their fans to come to this conclusion.

message 11: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Cohen | 3 comments The Turquoise Ledge

"At first I didn't pay much attention to the stones in the arroyo because I was focused on my walking - I was new to the notion of a speed walk through the desert... Slowly it got easier and I started to notice the pebbles and rocks in the fine white sand, and the animal tracks and signs of coyote and bobcat in the arroyo. I began to find small rocks and pebbles streaked with turquoise." (6)

This quote shows the period of adjustment that you must go through as you adapt to new surroundings. At first, it is very hard and you are very focused on doing exactly what is necessary. However, you are able to take in your surroundings more over time and find the exciting little things in life as you get more comfortable with your surroundings and lifestyle.

message 12: by Vishal (new)

Vishal Bansal | 2 comments Neil wrote: "Shoe Dog A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight

"We were trying to create a brand, I said, but also a culture. We were fighting against conformity, against boringness, against drudg..."

I like how you make the connection to the creation of the global company and how it reflected it's creator's ideology and focus.

message 13: by Grace (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:59AM) (new)

Grace | 4 comments Bay wrote: "Teri KanefieldFree To Be Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Story of Women and Law
"Yet, her Jewish education meant nothing during one of the most important moments of her lif..."

Grace Y.
I like how it shows the pain and anger pent up inside of Ruth. It is a powerful quote and shows Ruth's passion for fighting for what she thinks is right and just.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin | 1 comments Book: J.R.R. Tolkien a biography
"The Tolkiens always liked to tell stories that gave a romantic colouring to their origins; but whatever the truth of those stories the family was at the time of Ronald's childhood entirely English in character and appearance, indistinguishable from thousands of other middle-class tradespeople..."(27)

This quote shows a time period when everyone stressed the importance of origins and the need for similarity. Tolkien was then captivated in learning his family's origins.

message 15: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Chung | 2 comments Neil wrote: "Shoe Dog A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight

"We were trying to create a brand, I said, but also a culture. We were fighting against conformity, against boringness, against drudg..."

I like how you brought up the idea that the creator of Nike was going against conformity and that his true motive was fighting it by creating this brand.

message 16: by Bayleigh (new)

Bayleigh | 4 comments Sydney wrote: "The Turquoise Ledge

"At first I didn't pay much attention to the stones in the arroyo because I was focused on my walking - I was new to the notion of a speed walk through the desert... Slowly it ..."

I like your analysis of this quote. I agree that over time, you have to find joy in the little things in life. This sounds like an interesting book!

message 17: by Satya (last edited Sep 20, 2019 09:07AM) (new)

Satya Bhunya | 1 comments "A Vice President might leave his office, but the office never left a vice president" (11).
Here Joe Biden is referring to the secret service who follow him and his family when he is on vacation, as the staff reserve a room in their vacation house. Biden also implies that one can never go back to being an ordinary person again after serving the office, as that life will stick with him forever.

message 18: by Aditya (new)

Aditya Jain | 2 comments "I don't do it for the money. I've got enough, much more than I'll ever need. I do it to do it...[My work] never stops, and I wouldn't have it any other way" (Trump 2).

Today, many people think one of the reasons Donald Trump became president was to benefit his business, but according to his memoir, written before his political career even started, the exact opposite is true. He likes working, and due to his success, he has become president to help the country, in whatever way he thinks is best.

Aditya J

message 19: by Skylar (new)

Skylar | 1 comments Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G.
"There was Chrissy-Pooh, the apple of his mother's eye. There was Cwest, the closet MC messing around with his grade-school friends on boom-box mix tapes...There was Biggie Smalls, the freestyle legend" What the author is trying to convey here and throughout the book was the different sides and stories associated with Wallace, as Wallace rises in fame, more personas emerge to contribute to his career

message 20: by Ted (new)

Ted Kim | 3 comments Napoleon Bonaparte: A Life by Alan Schom

"Napoleon rebelled. 'I'll eat standing up, Monsieur, and not on my knees!' he protested. In my family, we kneel only before God!' "

This quote stands out to me because it demonstrates that since a child, Napoleon had a strong will and never yielded, and this attitude persisted and proved to be a strong trait in his career as a successful general and his reign as Emperor.

message 21: by Sean (new)

Sean Wang | 1 comments Shostakovich: A Life Remembered
"He wrote out his music in full score straight away. He would then take his scores to lessons without having even played through them" (12).

This quote is interesting because it shows how talented Shostakovich is. Even as a high schooler, he was able to compose and perform at a level unparalleled by other musicians in his grade at the time. It fascinates me that someone could compose an entire orchestral score without even playing through it.

message 22: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 1 comments The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt by T.J. Stiles
"Probably no other individual made an equal impact over such an extended period on America's economy and society. Over the course of his sixty-six year career he stood on the forefront of change, a modernizer from beginning to end. He vastly improved and expanded the nation's infrastructure, contributing to a transformation of the very geography of the United States. he embraced new technologies and new forms of business organization, and used them to compete so successfully that he forced his rivals to follow his example or give up."
I think this quote pretty accurately sums up Cornelius Vanderbilt's life. He was a ruthless competitor who permanently changed the American economy and how it operates, and without him and the railroads he built it is unlikely that America would have become the industrial powerhouse it was in the 19th and 20th centuries. As the first robber baron, he created a new culture of new money in American society that would impact its economy, society, and government permanently. As such, I feel that this quote is an accurate portrayal of the entirety of the man and legend that Vanderbilt was.

message 23: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Cohen | 3 comments Satya wrote: " "A Vice President might leave the office, but the office never left the vice president" (11).
Here Joe Biden is referring to the secret service who follow him and his family when he is on vacati..."

I like how you looked at both the physical and mental effects that the vice president would have after leaving the office. It is interesting how you can take a few different meanings out of this one quote.

message 24: by Smriti (last edited Sep 20, 2019 09:18AM) (new)

Smriti | 3 comments In his book called Born a Crime, Trevor Noah realizes "that language, even more than color, defines who you are to people" and he says that "[his] color did not change, but [he] could change [others'] perception of [his] color" (56).

Trevor Noah found a way to make people stop thinking of him as different. He realized that if people speak the same language, they connect in a way that overlooks differences in race. All his life, he felt like an outsider in his family and community for being part white. He learned different languages in hopes of fitting in in different places. With this, he was able to show people that difference in race does not have to be a dividing factor if there are other common traits. I found this to be significant because I think language is a powerful skill that can change peoples' impressions of someone else, and that is what Trevor Noah did.

message 25: by Hanah (new)

Hanah Kim | 3 comments Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance Barack Obama
“The study of law can be disappointing at times, a matter of applying narrow rules and arcane procedure to an uncooperative reality; a sort of glorified accounting that serves to regulate the affairs of those who have power--and that all too often seeks to explain, to those who do not, the ultimate wisdom and justness of their condition.
But that's not all the law is. The law is also memory; the law also records a long-running conversation, a nation arguing with its conscience."
This segment reveals Obama's mental and internal thoughts. It's interesting to see how he perceives the world, and in this case, his stance on laws. Instead of only seeing Obama as our former president, one is able to peek into his story of backgrounds and complex origins and the extent to how they impact his growth.

message 26: by Daniel (last edited Sep 20, 2019 09:07AM) (new)

Daniel Zhai | 3 comments Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America
"'It was worse than that,' according to his father. "He'd chastise us: 'Don't you ever think?' We didn't have a good answer to that: We weren't sure we ever did" (16).

I think that this quote highlights what made Bill Gates stand out from his peers and even his family. Gates didn't just dive into things, he would carefully plan out things and then execute them to perfection, similar to the computers he would eventually come to develop. This quote also applies to us today: do we ever stop to think, instead of constantly just going with the flow?

message 27: by Ian (new)

Ian Dong | 3 comments Ian D.
KD: Kevin Durant's Relentless Pursuit to Be the Greatest
"But overnight that changed, and he became the source of historic drama and a lightning rod after making one of the most controversial free-agent decisions in the history of the NBA" (xii).
Kevin Durant's decision to another powerhouse ignited debate in the NBA media over his "softness." He had previously dedicated his time to an up-and-coming team but bolted for the winning team. Not only does the author illustrate the boldness of Kevin Durant, but he also encapsulates the entire spectrum, even if it is negative. It perfectly shows the double-character of Durant.

message 28: by Missy (new)

Missy | 2 comments The multi-genre book I'm currently reading is The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, where she tells her story of growing up among two free-spirited parents to the point where it's abusive. Jeanette, being a wide eyed innocent, does not realize this just yet so it's interesting to see how her mindset morphs; she eventually takes the leap of faith and chooses her own path, cutting away from her parents.

"The more desolate and isolated a place was, the better Mom and Dad liked it." (19) Jeanette's family jumps from place to place way too often and usually they flee their current desert towns in order to escape the authorities on multiple occasions, whether the culprit being dining and dashing or some unpaid bills. That's what brought me to the realization of why they always choose the somber and tiny towns and almost never the big cities.

Living in a way where you're always paranoid of being caughThe Glass CastleThe Glass Castlet and seeing her parents never owning up to the consequences of their actions must've taken a toll on Jeanette, especially at such a vulnerable age. Seeing the abhorrent ways her parents behave and act in front of their children has brought me to believe that they're self-serving and neglectful people who should not have had children if they were going to poison their minds like this in the first place.

message 29: by Vaishali (new)

Vaishali Bansal | 4 comments "But, as I watched my brothers running across the roof, flying their kites and skillfully flicking the strings back and forth to cut each other's down, I wondered how free a daughter could ever be."

This quote is significant because it highlights the restricted freedom girls had in Malala's small town in Pakistan. Even at such a young age, Malala was able to recognize the restrictions and rules surrounding everything that she did. Women had to be quiet and obedient; they were supposed to be covered at all times. However, Malala was not born to be quiet, but rather to have her voice heard.

message 30: by Neil (new)

Neil | 3 comments Justin wrote: "Book: J.R.R. Tolkien a biography
"The Tolkiens always liked to tell stories that gave a romantic colouring to their origins; but whatever the truth of those stories the family was at the time of Ro..."

I like how you relate this quote to the historical time period.

message 31: by Smriti (new)

Smriti | 3 comments Sydney wrote: "The Turquoise Ledge

"At first I didn't pay much attention to the stones in the arroyo because I was focused on my walking - I was new to the notion of a speed walk through the desert... Slowly it ..."

I like your interpretation of the quote because you relate the words to a change and how it takes people some time to adjust and take in what is happening or there around them.

message 32: by Ian (new)

Ian Dong | 3 comments Aditya wrote: ""I don't do it for the money. I've got enough, much more than I'll ever need. I do it to do it...[My work] never stops, and I wouldn't have it any other way" (Trump 2).

Today, many people think o..."

I understand where Trump is coming from but maybe there are many ulterior motives for his decision to be a president

message 33: by Lily (new)

Lily Ren | 3 comments Boy on Ice: The Life and Death of Derek Boogaard

Lily R.

"Four years after this night, he would be a millionaire living alone in a 33rd-floor condominium overlooking Central Park in New York City... given nothing less than everything he had ever wanted and silently longing for something else." (Branch 4)

The book's theme is how Derek's innocent dream of becoming a hockey player has led him to a path of violence and eventual suicide. This quote helps us to understand this theme by showing how even though he achieved his life-long goal, his career has stripped away his humanity and left him with little. This book as a whole lets people know about the balance between career and mental health and how nothing would be worth it if the person themself is miserable.

message 34: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh Poruri | 2 comments "You no longer had to make something that other people wanted to buy in order to start a booming company. You just had to have an idea for some sort of internet thing and announce it to the world in order for eager investors to fund your thought experiment."

This quote demonstrates the rapid evolution of technology towards the development of how the internet is used today. Nowadays, companies that are doing the best in our economy are the big technology companies with successful web services and software. Musk is basically saying that technology is what matters in our future.

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future

message 35: by Bayleigh (new)

Bayleigh | 4 comments Smriti wrote: "In his book called Born a Crime, Trevor Noah realizes "that language, even more than color, defines who you are to people" and he says that "[his] color did not change, but [he] could change [other..."
Is this harmful or helpful?

message 36: by Hanbin (new)

Hanbin | 3 comments Ted wrote: "Napoleon Bonaparte: A Life by Alan Schom

"Napoleon rebelled. 'I'll eat standing up, Monsieur, and not on my knees!' he protested. In my family, we kneel only before God!' "

This q..."

This seems like an accurate representation of Napoleon. I agree with you that he had an innate will to be emperor and was not very willing to conform from the start.

message 37: by Vaishali (new)

Vaishali Bansal | 4 comments Daniel wrote: "Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America
"'It was worse than that,' according to his father. "He'd chastise us: 'Don't you ever ..."

I like your interpretation of the quote and how you used it to support your argument about Bill Gates' personality.

message 38: by Kai (new)

Kai Wen | 3 comments "The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness."

The very first line of Nabokov's autobiography Speak, Memory is a subtle reflection on genesis and death. In the same paragraph, Nabokov describes a brief anecdote of a chronophobiac who panics at the thought of seeing his parents' old photographs from the period before he was born. He is distraught because he simply did not exist. The very same house and rooms and cradle in the photographs are empty, voided of his presence.

To think about living is to ignore the eternal periods of darkness from which we come and toward which we advance. Our lives are merely visible experiences sandwiched between pre-conception and death–two vast expanses of time and space we simply cannot talk about. Because, really, there is no way to talk about something if we cannot understand it.

Ironically, this passage conveys a rather humanizing message. We are all caught within the intersection. This is just an ordinary experience... until we die, of course.

message 39: by Lily (new)

Lily Ren | 3 comments Sydney wrote: "The Turquoise Ledge

I like your quotation and analysis since many people can relate to it when adjusting to a new place.

message 40: by Hanah (new)

Hanah Kim | 3 comments Missy wrote: "The multi-genre book I'm currently reading is The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, where she tells her story of growing up among two free-spirited parents to the point where it's abusive. Jeanette, ..."

I like how you gave a greater context to the main character and her situation. The quote you chose was short yet it seems to sum up her parents very well. It's interesting to see how the opposite characteristics of a typical abusive family can be just as detrimental to a child.

message 41: by Ted (new)

Ted Kim | 3 comments Rohan wrote: "The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt by T.J. Stiles
"Probably no other individual made an equal impact over such an extended period on America's economy and society. Over the cou..."

I like how you focus on how Vanderbilt transformed America into an industrial society and how his business tactics changed how Americans conduct business.

message 42: by Hanbin (new)

Hanbin | 3 comments "On page 44, "While much of America's infrastructure decays, Musk is building a futuristic end-to-end transportation system that would allow the United States to leapfrog the rest of the world. Musk's vision, and, of late, execution seem to combine the best of Henry Ford and John D. Rockefeller."

This quote truly shows how much power and influence one man has on the progress of the United States. Musk can change the shape of the nation, maybe even the world."

message 43: by Mirra (new)

Mirra Kannapppan | 3 comments Becoming: A memoir by Michelle Obama
“If you don’t get out there and define yourself, you’ll be quickly and inaccurately defined by others.”

Michelle Obama starts of her memoir with this quote which I thought was really interesting. I thought this quote was significant because it really speaks out to students and even adults in this generation. We as humans try to be "normal" to fit into our own community, but Michelle Obama really emphasizes the quality of being unique and being true to who you are. When she says, "define yourself," it easily shows for what she believes in and her true personality. From what I read so far Michelle Obama is a strong individual who fights for what she believes in and whose fears pave a path in her life.

message 44: by Nandhana (new)

Nandhana Selvam | 3 comments Robin
"Sure, it was a comedy routine, but the performer didn't tell identifiable jokes with setups and punch lines... He was more like an illusionist, and his magic trick was making you see what you wanted to see."

While introducing Robin William's unique style of performance, I think this quote also hints that his act is only a facade, keeping his true personality hidden. With the multitude of accents and characters he could play, what is his true self?

message 45: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh Poruri | 2 comments Neil wrote: "Shoe Dog A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight

Wihout the uniqueness and culture of Nike, they wouldn't have made as much money as they have to this day. That was a great business approach by Phil Knight, as that mindset is a big part of why his company is so successful.

message 46: by Kai (new)

Kai Wen | 3 comments Smriti wrote: "In his book called Born a Crime, Trevor Noah realizes "that language, even more than color, defines who you are to people" and he says that "[his] color did not change, but [he] could change [other..."
I like this. Language and its sound and texture constructs a stereotypical model of someone. Language can also have power and reason.

message 47: by Edison (new)

Edison | 1 comments Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic FutureAshlee Vance

"The oddity of the moment left me speechless for a beat, while my synapse fired trying to figure out if this was some sort of riddle, and, if so, how it should be answered artfully." (4)

A reporter has asked Musk a few questions and he replied with a very deep and thoughtful answer. I believed this quote was really interesting because it gives a background image of who Musk can really be. He never hesitates to respond towards another person where is always results with a good relationship with his peers.

message 48: by Nandhana (new)

Nandhana Selvam | 3 comments Daniel wrote: "Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America
"'It was worse than that,' according to his father. "He'd chastise us: 'Don't you ever ..."

I like the interesting comparison you made between Bill Gates and computers. To the question you posed at the end, I agree we need to be more critical in our thinking.

message 49: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Zhai | 3 comments Edison wrote: "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic FutureAshlee Vance

"The oddity of the moment left me speechless for a beat, while my synapse fired trying t..."

I like how the quote truly shows how Musk is baffled but then responds with a very inspirational response.

message 50: by Mirra (last edited Sep 20, 2019 09:40AM) (new)

Mirra Kannapppan | 3 comments Missy wrote: "The multi-genre book I'm currently reading is The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, where she tells her story of growing up among two free-spirited parents to the point where it's abusive. Jeanette, ..."
I really like your interpretation of the quote!

« previous 1