Horror Aficionados discussion

Usher's Passing
This topic is about Usher's Passing
Group Reads > October Group Read #2 Usher's Passing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
edgar-allan-poes-gothicism-in-the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher.jpg

Our second group read is Usher's Passing. If you haven't read this one yet, your in for a great time. it's really good. Remember to use spoiler tags where necessary when discussing this book.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments This book is soooo good!! Love the graphic, Tosh! 😊

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "This book is soooo good!! Love the graphic, Tosh! 😊"

thank you! i'm re-reading this one with the group. yes, it is really good.

message 4: by Philtrum (new)

Philtrum | 10 comments *you're in for a good time.

HTH HAND

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Latasha wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "This book is soooo good!! Love the graphic, Tosh! 😊"

thank you! i'm re-reading this one with the group. yes, it is really good."

I might try a reread 😃

message 6: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie | 3651 comments I am happy this one got it as I have it on my kindle! I thought I was going to have to borrow if from the library as I forgot I owned it! lol

message 7: by Sea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sea Caummisar | 109 comments I finally have a book that has been selected! Yay! I've never done one of these group reads before

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6099 comments Mod
One of my personal favorites!!

message 9: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 704 comments Great illustration 👍

Thanks Marie Helene! I hope you enjoy the book and the company Sea C.!

message 11: by Sea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sea Caummisar | 109 comments I started my reading early. Just finished the first chapter. I know who Poe is, but I've never read his Usher book. Will that be important to this storyline? I kinda hate not knowing the Usher family story. Should I read the other Usher stories first?

Sea wrote: "I started my reading early. Just finished the first chapter. I know who Poe is, but I've never read his Usher book. Will that be important to this storyline? I kinda hate not knowing the Usher fami..."

sure, you could read it first. it won't take long and it's a really good story. if you don't want to read it, i'm sure one of us can spoil the Fall of the house of Usher for you. i don't think you necessarily have to read it though. if i remember right, you'll get enough info through Usher's Passing to keep up & know what's going on.

message 13: by Robby (new) - added it

Robby | 39 comments Might try to join in . Got the book off Kindle Unlimited recently. Can recall the old 1960 movie "House of Usher" starring the great Vincent Price. I hope it picks up the pace early. I've got to many books that need my eyes. Regardless; will be checking in with your club just to see what you all think of it. Hope it's a good one.

message 14: by M.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.E. | 409 comments Sea wrote: "I started my reading early. Just finished the first chapter. I know who Poe is, but I've never read his Usher book. Will that be important to this storyline? I kinda hate not knowing the Usher fami..."

If you want to the audio route, Christopher Lee's reading of it is on Youtube (37 minutes long). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju1Of...

Like most of Poe's stuff, it's worth reading or listening to. It's a good story.

message 15: by Tiffany (new) - added it

Tiffany King (tifking73) | 80 comments I’m going to join in on this group read too. Both of the books for October look sooo good!!!

message 16: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Spencer (hazeydoodle) | 7 comments I have been a member of this group for years and finally have the time to join :)

I have bought in kindle format at the paper version is really expensive in the UK for some reason!

Looking forward to joining in!

message 17: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 53 comments I didn't even read the summary once I saw it was on Kindle Unlimited. I always feel like I need to use that service more for it to be worth it.

WendyB  | 3130 comments Mod
So glad to see some new names in our group reads. These are always more fun with lots of people reading and discussing the book. Welcome to you all. :)
I read Usher's Passing a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. Hope it gets you all in the mood for the best time of the year.

message 19: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 8 comments I look forward to rereading this one. It has everything. It's like a very good season of American Horror Story.

Amanda Starling | 7 comments I’m reading this one! It will be my first group read. I’m excited! I started it yesterday.

Amanda Starling | 7 comments I read Swan Song by Robert McCammon last year and it was really good! I’m looking forward to another of his books.

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 490 comments Just got this one - doing a trial month of Kindle Unlimited in order to get my hands on it :) Looks really good. Beautiful graphic in the first post!

Thank you!

David Voyles | 11 comments Enjoying this read; it's an interesting re-visiting of Poe's setting. Since I live in Asheville, NC, the setting where McCammon placed the Usher estate, I'm enjoying the locale. I think my favorite part of the book so far is the old Usher house. Not the one the current Ushers live in but the old one that has been abandoned. Don't want to include spoilers but the shifting halls and stairways would appeal to fans of Harry Potter and one of my most recent loves, the Netflix treatment of The Haunting of Hill House. I do love a good haunted house, so this one almost makes up for the fact that I don't really like any of the main characters. I feel like I'm supposed to like Rix, but despite his guilt over how the family acquired their wealth, he still comes across as an entitled, privileged jerk. Anybody else feel the same?

message 25: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie | 3651 comments I am going to be starting this next week sometime. :)

One of my personal favorites!!

message 27: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 490 comments Lisa wrote: "Just got this one - doing a trial month of Kindle Unlimited in order to get my hands on it :) Looks really good. Beautiful graphic in the first post!"

Is that your work, Latasha? It's just gorgeous!

Oh no, I just found it online.

Spyros Egkarchos (spyrex) | 96 comments Just finished "The Fall of the House of Usher" by E. A. Poe, which I didn't like and I'm about to start "Usher's Passing".

message 30: by M.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.E. | 409 comments I'm about 20% in and I have to say the story has really hooked me so far.

M.E. wrote: "I'm about 20% in and I have to say the story has really hooked me so far."

i'm glad you are enjoying it.

M.E. wrote: "I'm about 20% in and I have to say the story has really hooked me so far."
I believe I enjoyed this one more than the Poe short tale.

Spyros Egkarchos (spyrex) | 96 comments I'm about halfway through it and I am excited, to say the least. First time I read a book by McCammon. Where have you been for so long, Mr. Robert?

message 34: by Sea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sea Caummisar | 109 comments Am I the only one who didn't enjoy the book? I'm not a fan of magic. It was good until the magic knife, then it just got worse from there... The most interesting part is the family sickness and that just barely gets touched on. I guess I'm not a McCammon fan

message 35: by M.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.E. | 409 comments Spyros wrote: "I'm about halfway through it and I am excited, to say the least. First time I read a book by McCammon. Where have you been for so long, Mr. Robert?"

Same here. I just added a bunch more of his books to my TBR list.

message 36: by M.E. (last edited Oct 12, 2019 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.E. | 409 comments Kimberly wrote: "...I believe I enjoyed this one more than the Poe short tale."

Same here. I love the Poe story, but this certainly has a lot more depth and complexity to it.

I love the way McCammon introduces and handles characters too. The cast at this point is pretty large, but I have no problem remembering who's who and what their story is.

I love a LOT of McCammon's books, but this one has always been one of my favorites, and I think it's because of what you said--we have the Poe story, and then he just adds so much DEPTH to it.

I loved (or loved-to-hate) the characters, too!

Started reading this today. I forgot how bad Rix’s attacks are.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Pure fun! I loved it.

message 40: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 490 comments 3.5 stars. Very fun and readable, with some fairly scary parts. Some parts felt a bit repetitious (view spoiler) And by the end, I felt like the author had thrown in everything but the kitchen sink: (view spoiler) Entertaining and compelling nonetheless. I've heard his other stuff is quite good; I might have to check out another novel of McCammon's.

message 41: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil | 101 comments I am about half way through and so far, so good. Lots of loose ends!

message 42: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil | 101 comments Just finished, here is my review: I have read several of McCammon's novels, and this is my least favorite to date. My main problem is that it is just too busy (I cannot say much without spoilers). We still have flashes of the genius he displayed in The Wolf's Hour and Swan Song and the ending was fun. It just felt unpolished and could use some good editing. 3.5 stars.

Jamako (jann1k) | 177 comments I had to catch up on some stuff but started with Usher's Passing yesterday. The introduction to the Usher family already has me hooked. Looking forward to a discussion later this month :)

message 44: by Spyros (last edited Oct 18, 2019 03:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Spyros Egkarchos (spyrex) | 96 comments My opinion about the book:

Can a fantasy story get better than this?
This is a question I kept asking myself while reading this story. To be completely honest, this story didn't avoid some cliches around the evil and the good. But overall, it's a totally entertaining story, full of graphic pictures, magical writing and characters that you either love or love to hate.
The plot grabbed my attention already from the beginning and didn't let go. Something evil "surrounds" the Usher family and some people are determined to find out what that is.
Robert McCammon gives a different perspective of a fantasy story. He gives great importance on character building and does it exceptionally. During my read, I was amazed by how the author keeps revealing so many clues about the land that the Usher family occupies, and was I awaiting to see how all these clues will be connected until the ending.
McCammon's writing stirs up emotions that only exceptional writers can. To wrap it up, this is a horror story, full of magic, urban legends, fantastic beasts and a family which tries to fight with its own enemies which itself has created.

5/5

Glad you liked it Spyros.

Jamako (jann1k) | 177 comments Damn.
I did not expect to be this spellbound by Usher's Passing, finished the book in two days. What a great, well-plotted story. Loved every second of my readthrough and am sure to check out more of McCammon's books in the future.

5/5

That’s great to hear Jannik!

Page 103 (pb version) my favorite word- phantasmagoric ✨

Spyros Egkarchos (spyrex) | 96 comments Latasha wrote: "Glad you liked it Spyros."

I'm also glad to participate in this group read!

On
Chapter 17. Bobby’s nightmares would be so awful. I wouldn’t sleep either if I saw that every time I closed my eyes. I think I remember what’s happening but I’m not sure.

« previous 1