EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Check In 2019 > week 38 check in

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 820 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Making sure i get a post in today! I'm heading out to Halloweekends at Cedar Point this weekend, so I'll be too busy to post.

I spent a lot of time working through my comic backlog this weekend, so not much of a reading week.

Finished:

Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina - short and sweet, reading women athlete

Kim & Kim Vol. 1 - read harder comic by a lgbtq+ creator, i liked it, will probably continue.

War of the Realms - good chunk of the comics I read was catching up on this and all the side stories.

currently reading:

The Murmur of Bees - read harder own voices from mexico or central america. It's well written and everything, just really depressing and kind of slow. Not really my type of book, oh well. I think I got it free with the Amazon world reads.

QOTW:

I'll borrow from popsugar again: Is there an event from a book you would like to see recreated and attend?

For me, I adore The Night Circus and I'd love to visit a circus based on the concept, as well as go to a party themed around the Midnight Dinners. The descriptions are so lush, i want to be there!

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (piratenami) | 186 comments This week, I finished Aurora Rising. I liked it well enough to read the sequel. It pinged my found family love.

Next up, I'm not sure yet. I have a couple of things out from the library. Probably going to go with This Is How You Lose the Time War because I've been looking forward to it for awhile.

QOTW: I'm with you on the Night Circus, Sheri!

I'm drawing a blank on any other distinct events from books I'd like see made real. Maybe some of the more fun times from Harry Potter, like the feasts or quidditch matches.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Sep 20, 2019 12:26PM) (new)

Sarah Pace (space1138) | 127 comments Another crazy week here, but not quite as bad as last week, so I managed to sneak in a library hold that had arrived.

Sword and Pen is the finale of The Great Library trilogy and I was quite satisfied with how Caine ended her series, especially after the previous book being a bit of a letdown. The end of a few characters' story arcs was a bit predictable, but it's YA, so that kinda comes with the territory. I'm definitely glad she didn't start going George RR Martin on everyone too, as that was hinted at in foreshadowing. This one was definitely worth the wait!

Also still working on Out of the Silent Planet. Seriously, this book is only 150 pages... it's driving me nuts not being done yet!!!!

QOTW- I'm going with Bilbo's epic eleventy-first birthday party, but I'm sure others will spring to mind as I mull it over. There are many events that I'd have loved to attend the original, though would really would fall flat if they recreated.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 255 comments I finished Good Morning, Midnight on my business trip. I liked it a lot although a few parts were a bit unsatisfying at the end. I would have liked a bit more closure on various things. But I definitely recommend it.

I am well into Lock In as an audiobook. Maybe about 2/3 of the way through. I am loving it. If I had to make one complaint about the audiobook it is that there is a clear abrupt change when there is a "retake". The tone and voice so abruptly change and then go back. It is sometimes disconcerting. And I guess on a retake you cannot get back to exactly the same resonance you had in the first take.

I am also reading Me Talk Pretty One Day. So far it is meh to me. I am not yet getting any of the humor and comedy that is discussed in the blurbs on the cover. I'm going to give it a few more chapters to see if it gets better.

QOTW: Another yes for the Night Circus. And I probably wouldn't mind too much some of the Nora Roberts trilogies settings. Not so much the darker or paranormal works, but things like the Inn Boonsboro or some of the Irish ones.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 236 comments I finished The Kennedy Heirs: John, Caroline, and the New Generation - A Legacy of Triumph and Tragedy with time to spare for tonight's IRL Book Club #2 meetup - definitely not my kind of thing, being almost entirely composed of gossip from deep background sources, but since I never read anything like that, it was definitely an experience. I have never been terribly interested in the Kennedys one way or the other, so I was more annoyed by the writing style and jumping around between stories, but I am looking forward to hearing how the folks who are more into this kind of thing liked it since it's not exactly complimentary of most of the family members.

I then moved on to the next book for IRL Book Club #3, Fingersmith. I was a bit daunted by the length, having just survived 624 pages of Kennedys, but this one went MUCH faster. It dragged a little bit in a few places, but the core mystery is good enough to keep it interesting. I'm really looking forward to talking about this one, but I won't say much more here to avoid spoiling it for anyone who might be planning to read it in the future.

I'm currently reading The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb, which has been on my TBR for quite a while. I'm only about a third of the way through, but I'm really enjoying it so far - it's very well-written, with great characters.

QOTW: I don't think I've ever run across anyone who's read the Night Circus who doesn't want to go - IRL Book Club #1 had a themed meetup back when we read it that was fun, but I would be all over any version. And not that it's an event, but Aunt Dimity's house would be nice to visit. But also the Folly (leaving my phone outside) while I'm over there. :)