Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > Where are you from?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Sep 18, 2019 07:15AM) (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4284 comments Mod
The Fun folder has been kinda dead for a little while, so I'm going to try to come up with some topics to get it moving again. It is, I'll admit, my favorite part of the SIA forums.

So, this one is simple. I'm asking where you're from. I want your full address and a photo of your house, a detailed description of when you'll be gone and where you hide all your keys. (Also, if you have dogs, do they tend not to attack people, if said people give them a steak).

Seriously? No.

I'm just curious where everyone is from. Country of origin is enough, but if you want to narrow it down to state / city, great.

Also, do you think where you're from has any impact at all on your writing? Do you like to write about the place(s) you (have) live(d)? (Even though this is a fun topic, please refrain from bookwhacking - talk about your writing, but don't try to sell us your books and no links, please).

I expect everyone to have this completed by Friday at 5 pm.

GO!

message 2: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

I'm from Iowa, which is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the United States. No, we're not the potato state.

I live in Cedar Rapids currently, which is the second largest city in the state and the largest city I've ever lived in. I grew up in a tiny little place called Huxley (not named for Aldous).

Iowa has had a huge impact on my writing, as I tend to write general fiction and a good portion of it is based on actual events from my life, or at least on things I've witnessed. I don't always write about Iowa, but when I don't it's usually about some other place in the Midwest (currently working on a story set in Chicago). So, being an Iowan for fifty-three years (except three months when I lived in Vermont) has helped me get a strong feel for the people of this state, the culture, etc.

message 3: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Chapman | 147 comments I live in Hampshire, in the UK :)

I think places I've visited or lived often help me and inspire me when I'm working on locations in my books, but I don't like actually setting my books in real life places.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments I like in the UK, just down the road from Stonehenge. I used to live in Hampshire, as L.K. does, which is a bit of an odd coincidence, lol.

I don't think my environment has much to do with my writing, since most of my books are set in the countryside and I live in a city, places I have been to do influence it to a degree.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments I was born in and have always lived in Massachusetts, USA, which is also considered New England. We used to have 4 seasons, but due to global warming, we have 6 months of winter, 4 months of summer, 2 months of fall, and 5 minutes of spring. (Anyone who doesn't believe in global warming can take me out back and kick me in the ass. I'll even bend over for ya!)

No, my writing is not shaped by where I live. It's shaped by my human experiences. On a scale of good to bad, I've had more bad than good. It gives my characters emotion and empathy. I can also instill in them strength and street smarts I don't have.

I haven't been active here and I truly apologize. I assure you, I am still writing, just haven't published a book yet.

Hugs to All, Sam/Sue/Suam

message 6: by Micah (last edited Sep 18, 2019 09:33AM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Frederick, Maryland, USA. Look at a map and find Washington DC and Baltimore. Follow I-70 West from Baltimore and I-270 West from DC … where they meet? That's me. It's about an hour from both.

I've only put references to my local terrain in a couple unfinished works. It's hard to draw inspiration from the real world when most of your stories are set in space, on other planets, or in the far future (or all three). But the two that the local area show up in are both near(ish) future and on Earth.

message 7: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) wrote: "I was born in and have always lived in Massachusetts, USA..."

Been there! (briefly) I spent a few hours in Boston once. It was nice, what I saw of it. Which was, basically, just the bus station. Still, it was one of the nicer bus stations I've ever seen.

And Sam? We know it's been tough for you to get your writing done. You will get it when you're able. No need to apologize.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Thank you for your understanding Dwayne. I continue to fight my inner-demons and financial battles. I just had to have a root canal. Ouch! However, I am writing and publishing online, so I can finally consider myself a writer without guilt. Hugs

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) wrote: "Thank you for your understanding Dwayne. I continue to fight my inner-demons and financial battles. I just had to have a root canal. Ouch! However, I am writing and publishing online, so I can fina..."

Don't forget a wonderful poet, you are that too.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Awe, thank you very much, Alex. Hugs!!

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) wrote: "Awe, thank you very much, Alex. Hugs!!"

You're welcome, and hugs to you too.

message 12: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 673 comments Mod
Well, hello everyone. I was born (and still live) in the eastern half of the Czech Republic - a relatively small state in the middle of Europe.
I think it has two effects on my writing: first, the vicinity of mountains gives me places where I can go, clear my mind, and gather inspiration.
Second, none of my relatives can speak English (well, except my uncle who lives in the USA), so my secret hobby is mostly safe from prying eyes and question until I decide to 'come out' - even if someone found the files on my PC, they'd have no idea what the hell they are.

message 13: by Prajakta (new)

Prajakta Thakre (prajaktathakre) | 1 comments Hi Everyone
I am from Mumbai, India. I have also stayed in Pune, India for around 8yrs.
I love my city and it is a place which can never be explored completely.

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Sells | 103 comments I'm from the UK, more specifically from the south east of England. Does where I live influence my writing? Not in the sense that I really set stories where I live (many of them are actually set in the US rather than the UK!) but I do think I tend to have characters living in small towns much of the time because I do. Also, some of the people I've met around the area have definitely inspired certain characters, some in a good way, some not so much ;)

message 15: by John (new)

John Waite | 25 comments Pensacola, Florida. West Florida also known as the Panhandle. Actually the oldest city in the US even though another Florida city likes to lay claim to that title. Came here from south Louisiana, New Orleans and parts south. Some Cajun in my history although I am of Irish heritage. Ex newspaper and broadcast reporter and editor, and a merchant marine captain for 20 years. Have four books on Amazon and quite a few stories in the electronic realm.

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 333 comments Lower Hutt, New Zealand, but born on the West Coast of the South Island, which is the "remote" part of the country. One part there gets a cameo appearance in one of my novels, but the influences on my writing would be: first, I am a semiretired research scientist, so I tend to write science fiction where the science is real or realistic/plausible and based on principles if in the future; second, I have been involved in commercial development and the influence of high-level politics (I have been on the Boards of two joint ventures with a major multinational) so my writing tends to include political economics; third, I drove into Czechoslovakia from Krakow with the Russian invasion in August 1968 and had a few interesting experiences, so my writing also tends to involve stories of governance and power, and the misuse of power.

message 17: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Currently living in Ohio, USA since 2000, but I was born in Montreal, Canada. I moved to the USA after meeting my hubby in an online game (Ultima online)

message 18: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 824 comments Hmm... where am I from...my mom? Ok...originally from PA. Moved to TN then WI and spent 35 yrs in the Ft. Lauderdale area of FL. I now life in the middle of nowhere in AZ. Closest town with a gas station is 7.7 miles away. Nearest full grocery store it 27 miles and the nearest Walmart and Home Depot are over 54 miles away in either Prescott or Flagstaff.

I just bought 100 acres on the west side of Ash Fork which is located on a portion of old route 66. (currently on the north side and it's getting way to crowded) Considering it's off a road called Grazing Cow Trail, I guess the ranch will be called Grazing Cow Ranch. Planning on labeling the other road into it as Grazing Cow Lane and the other one Grazing Cow Road seeing as they all dead end at the property.

Yeah, I live in the high desert surrounded by junipers, brown grass, and all sorts of cacti. It makes for nice writing as there is little to distract me other than cleaning house (Nope, not doing it), taking care of the dogs or horses (have to do that) and writing when I'm not working. I keep forgetting I"m supposed to be retired.

message 19: by Joe (new)

Joe Mellanby (jsmellanby) | 6 comments I was born and currently live in York, England.

My city is full of tourists and the diverse mixture of people always influence my thoughts. I haven't included any random people into my writing yet though.

My current work in progress is set in York, Leeds and Bristol. I have never been to Bristol, but Google can help. The cathedral, York Minster plays a focal point in my current WIP so I'd say that impacts my writing!

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 78 comments Far west Texas (Big Bend area, desert and mountains and (mountain) lions and javelinas and bears, oh my! BTW I went to England in 1970, Brighton area, visited London and up to Shakespeare country, and 1970 Isle of Wight rock festival (but didn't get to see Jimi Hendrix who died two weeks later, OD or something) Met folks from NE where my characters (some anyway) are from. Born on Long Island, NY.

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 78 comments Alex wrote: "I like in the UK, just down the road from Stonehenge. I used to live in Hampshire, as L.K. does, which is a bit of an odd coincidence, lol.

I don't think my environment has much to do with my writ..."

Visited Stonehenge in August, 1970 in way to Isle of Wight rock festival (by way of Wales, Bristol, Bath, etc.) Loved that place!

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 78 comments SHINE wrote: "I'm from Idaho, USA. Born there and raised there all my life. The mountain areas and lava rocks inspire me when it comes to writing stories and song lyrics."

SHINE wrote: "I'm from Idaho, USA. Born there and raised there all my life. The mountain areas and lava rocks inspire me when it comes to writing stories and song lyrics."

Love northern Idaho. Had a job interview in Coure DeLaine once (I know I spelled that place wrong, sorry).

message 23: by Lila (new)

Lila Diller Shine, I was born and raised in Idaho until I went to college!

I met my husband at college in Pensacola, FL, and now I live with him near his parents in NC.

message 24: by John (new)

John Waite | 25 comments Hey Shine. Interesting to see someone with even temporary roots in Pensacola, my home for the last fifty years. And, I have a daughter in North Carolina. Strange how little pin pricks in reality can color one's perceptions. I'm originally from New Orleans which has always held some sway over my creative instincts.

message 25: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 173 comments my two bits' worth - born and raised in Germany, spent a few years travelling before settling in London. After some 15 years there I couldn't deal with the weather any more so now I've been in Spain for the last 10 years where the sun shines some 300 days of the year :)

Does my life style influence my writing? Absolutely affirmatively yes. Sometimes in a very literal sense (I set some of my writing in the places I've lived in and been to) but also in more general terms. My protagonists tend to be outsiders looking in.

message 26: by Dallas (new)

Dallas Elkheart (dpelkheart) | 6 comments Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month.

message 27: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 173 comments Dallas wrote: "Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month."

Hello, Dallas. We're practically neighbours, I suppose (though I'm on Spain's east coast)

message 28: by Susana (new)

Susana Gino | 4 comments Hello there!
I am from Lisbon and moved to Amsterdam in 2017 and to Dublin in 2019!
I love meeting new people from all around the world and it has been a fantastic experience!!!
The downside is to be away from family and friends but that also allowed me to be more focused on my writing and organized and disciplined with my time.
I think everyone I meet impacts my writing, and it's actually very interesting to acknowledge how a brief moment with a stranger can be so deep and resourceful when it comes to boost my creativity!
The core of my work is self love and diversity!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences 🙏🙂

message 29: by Susana (new)

Susana Gino | 4 comments Dallas wrote: "Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month."

Hi Dallas! How long are you planning to stay in Portugal? Which part of the country are you? Hope everyone is being nice to you 🙂😚

message 30: by Dallas (new)

Dallas Elkheart (dpelkheart) | 6 comments Magnus wrote: "Dallas wrote: "Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month."

Hello, Dallas. We're practically neighbours, I suppose (though I'm on ..."

I am in Madrid a lot.

message 31: by Dallas (new)

Dallas Elkheart (dpelkheart) | 6 comments Susana wrote: "Dallas wrote: "Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month."

Hi Dallas! How long are you planning to stay in Portugal? Which part o..."

I moved here permanently and purchased a home in Bendada PT. The people in Portugal are heavenly and the best I have meet during my years of travel. They treat us like family here.

message 32: by Dallas (new)

Dallas Elkheart (dpelkheart) | 6 comments Magnus wrote: "Dallas wrote: "Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month."

Hello, Dallas. We're practically neighbours, I suppose (though I'm on ..."

I live about 1 hours from the border of Spain.

message 33: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 173 comments Dallas wrote: "Magnus wrote: "Dallas wrote: "Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month."

Hello, Dallas. We're practically neighbours, I suppose ..."

It's supposed to be gorgeous there though I've not been myself. Madrid is great, though. I live in Valencia, on the Mediterranean coast.

message 34: by Dallas (new)

Dallas Elkheart (dpelkheart) | 6 comments Magnus wrote: "Dallas wrote: "Magnus wrote: "Dallas wrote: "Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month."

Hello, Dallas. We're practically neighbo..."

I plan to visit there, there is a some sites I want to video. I use my free time traveling Europe and doing video of places, foods, culture, sites and etc.

message 35: by Dallas (new)

Dallas Elkheart (dpelkheart) | 6 comments Magnus wrote: "Dallas wrote: "Magnus wrote: "Dallas wrote: "Hi everyone, I am from the United States (Texas/26 years) and moved to Portugal Almost 1 year ago next month."

Hello, Dallas. We're practically neighbo..."

Madrid is beautiful and about 3 hours from me... You would simply love it and the food is to die for there as well.

message 36: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Francis | 7 comments This is fun. I've been in hiding for many years as a member of Goodreads. It's time to get myself more involved in the conversations.
I live in Ontario, Canada.
Most of my stories revolve around my job, actually. I'm an elementary teacher and have created a number of children and middle-grade stories that are based on the students at my school.
Fun fun.

message 37: by Nalini (new)

Nalini Warriar | 7 comments Ontario, Canada. On the shores of Lake Ontario. My books always have an Indian (South Asian) element in them. Trying to get that niche going. I write Literary Fiction and Contemporary Romance.

message 38: by Lyvita (new)

Lyvita (goodreadscomuser_lyvitabrooks) | 53 comments I live on the east coast of U.S.A. I am a journaling traveler.

My writing is inspired by my passions, love for life, and God.

message 39: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 173 comments Dallas wrote: "Madrid is beautiful and about 3 hours from me... You would simply love it and the food is to die for there as well."

Oh, I do love Madrid. Great city, fantastic museums, swell food.

message 40: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments The extreme south west of England. Where we have straw in our hair

message 41: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments Jane wrote: "The extreme south west of England. Where we have straw in our hair"

I was always lucky when in that area, my hair was short enough the straw didn't stick in it, but it did get everywhere else.

message 42: by Bruno (new)

Bruno Stella (brunostella) | 49 comments South Africa. It's a pretty lively country and I've met some interesting characters over the years. There's always something to draw inspiration from.

message 43: by Felix (new)

Felix Schrodinger | 138 comments my hair was short enough the straw didn't stick in it, but it did get everywhere else

The things people get up to in a barn!

Did you think of writing about it?

message 44: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments Lol. No. I'm not sure anyone else would be interested. It's a story of pain. I don't think people realise just how uncomfortable straw can be.

message 45: by Mark (new)

Mark OFS (brbearofs) | 10 comments Where am I from ? That's actually 2 questions.. where I was born and raised, AND where do I live.

I am FROM the "Great State of Delaware" , Dover area . Born, raised, college, and daughter all born there. Now living in Tampa, Florida, where I have been for the last 30 years.

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Lightfoot (goodreadscomandrea17) | 67 comments I'm originally from Liverpool, home of The Beatles, (yes, that Liverpool), but live in a town close by.

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Ireland | 1 comments I was born in the Second City, Chicago, raised in the northern suburbs and now live in metro Atlanta. Love both areas.

message 48: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 824 comments Mark, it's funny, my daughter who was raised in Florida is now in the Dover area of Delaware. Tampa is better than Ft. Lauderdale area which is where I lived for 30 years and hated almost every minute of it.

I love this thread. You don't realize how small the world is, thanks to the internet, until you read where everyone is from.

message 49: by S.R. (new)

S.R. Arturia (srarturia) | 2 comments Finland, the part where it's endless lakes and forests and it absolutely has had an impact on my writing. I love finnish nature to the bits. We have beautiful four seasons and ancient forests as well as geological oddities preserved from ice age and since I write fantasy my worlds end up taking heavy inspiration from it. Part of why anyone reads fantasy is being able to take a journey somewhere pretty so would be a crime not to use it as material.

message 50: by Ira (new)

Ira White (irawhite) | 1 comments I'm from Eastern Oregon in the US. Not many people out here but a lot of deer and elk.

« previous 1