What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Gods and Pawns
This topic is about Gods and Pawns
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SciFi short story - men try to convince media tycoon to part with his empire in return for immortality. [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Harry | 14 comments An agent goes to a media tycoon and offers him immortality in return for his media empire. This agent is short (it is specifically mentioned), immortal, and works for a shadowy organisation.

The agent shows the media tycoon how media will look in the future, short clips of news, and the media tycoon instantly understands - he sees that you will be able to manipulate people by showing them anything you want.

The agent gives the media tycoon a brief taste of immortality (through a potion?), making him feel younger. Tycoon agrees to transfer.

I think agent recommends they trick the tycoon by giving him more temporary immortality, but to his surprise the agency in fact does agree to part with full immortality for the tycoon.

Harry | 14 comments Thanks in advance!!

message 3: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Oct 18, 2019 08:25AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments I recall a novel (maybe very long short), of a time-travel agency that was trying to recruit Hearst(?). Immortality could only be given to people who were born with the right genes. But Hearst wasn't willing to play ball (and they needed him to do the thing which would create their agency), so... hijinks ensued.

message 4: by Lou (last edited Oct 18, 2019 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lou Rocama | 432 comments "Welcome to Olympus, Mr Hearst"
in Gods and Pawns (The Company) by Kage Baker Gods and Pawns

Harry | 14 comments Sadly i dont think this is it - but these look like great reads so they are on the list anyway!
Thank you for trying though!

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments Lou wrote: ""Welcome to Olympus, Mr Hearst"
in Gods and Pawns (The Company) by Kage BakerGods and Pawns"

Yeah, that's the story that leapt to mind for me.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments Excerpt from the Kage Baker story https://books.google.com/books?id=EEl... which talks about the agents of the time travelers being quite short.

Harry | 14 comments that link doesnt work for me - any chance you could copy some text if you have a moment? Id love this to be the one!

Harry | 14 comments Andy wrote: "Lou wrote: ""Welcome to Olympus, Mr Hearst"

Yeah, that's the story that leapt to mind for me."

sorry as above, didnt reply to you directly

Harry | 14 comments Andy wrote: "Lou wrote: ""Welcome to Olympus, Mr Hearst"

Yeah, that's the story that leapt to mind for me."

that link doesnt work for me - any chance you could copy some text if you have a moment? Id love this to be the one! Thank you.

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments The quote is "And we didn't look like a couple of immortal cyborg representatives of an all-powerful twenty-fourth century Company, anyway. I appear to be an ordinary guy, kind of dark and compact (O.K. short) and Lewis... well, he's good-looking but he's on the short side, too."

Harry | 14 comments SOLVED. Unbelievable, thank you Andy, and to everyone else that commented with the right answer!

In the part of the short story I could read Hearst is shown TV before its invented, and drinks a potion that simulates immortality. Wont let me read any more on google books, so I'll need to buy it properly. Thank you all so much!

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments Glad to help. Thanks for coming back and letting us know we found it.