Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Chaos (I Bring the Fire, #3)
This topic is about Chaos
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Gockel, C. -- Chaos (Bring the Fire #3) Informal buddy read starts September 20, 2019

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30803 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Chaos C. Gockel

Synopsis
In this final installment of the Cera story arc, the noose around Loki’s neck is tightening. Gerðr, the frost giantess, wants him dead; Cera, the World Seed, wants his head—literally and figuratively; the FBI wants him in Guantanamo; and an old friend from Asgard wants to bring him home...whether Loki likes it or not.

Things can’t get any worse, but when Loki’s involved, it’s certain they will. In the third chapter of I Bring the Fire, humanity’s demons are unleashed on the Nine Realms and Amy Lewis and Steve Rogers get front row seats.

Chaos might be their only hope.

THE I BRING THE FIRE SERIES:
I Bring the Fire: Part I Wolves (Free eBook!)
Monsters: I Bring the Fire Part II
Chaos: I Bring the Fire Part III
In the Balance
Fates: I Bring the Fire Part IV
The Slip: a Short Story
Warriors: I Bring the Fire Part V
Ragnarok: I Bring the Fire Part VI
The Fire Bringers: a Short Story
Soul Marked
Magic After Midnight

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I got the audio so should be starting it this afternoon!

Devann (devannm) | 2676 comments i think i will be starting later tonight as well. probably won't listen to it all in one go this time as i'm starting later at night ;)

also there is a 3.5 novella that comes after this so i'm not sure if you guys want to read that or have access to it if you've been getting these from the library or something? i'm going to listen to it since it's juuust over 3 hours and will be perfect for lava so i figured if we decided to do it we could just use this thread.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Devann wrote: "i think i will be starting later tonight as well. probably won't listen to it all in one go this time as i'm starting later at night ;)

also there is a 3.5 novella that comes after this so i'm not..."

I have that one too so I'll read it after.

Devann (devannm) | 2676 comments ok, i probably won't read that one until this coming wednesday or thursday just because that is how the lava schedule is working out.

just started this one. i love how loki is outraged that they tried to honeypot him with a woman with fake boobs. like #priorities loki lol

message 8: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia | 435 comments I bought the bulk e-book off Amazon Loki's Gambit that has books 1 - 6 Plus In the Balance and the other Short Stories. Like usual I bounce in between listening to the book at my internship and reading the e-book at work. I’m okay to read the 3.5 novella after the book.

I just started reading Chaos tonight. I’m on chapter 4. @Devann I also found it funny that Loki was outraged that the woman they tried to Honeypot him with had fake boos. I also loved how disturbed he was by the thoughts of fake books and turned off he was by them being “Rock hard”.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Totally agree, them being "rock hard" and he being turned off by them was hilarious! Also was laughing by how almost disappointed he was at the attempt to catch him. I didn't realize that he could cast illusions on others, which worked to his favor in getting away.

Unfortunately no reading time today so far but I've read thru Chpt 6 so far.

Helen's death was pretty heart breaking. I did find it suspect that Odin gave Loki permission to go after Baldur but loved how it worked out in the end. Ding dong the prince is dead :)

Thor is starting to grow on me - he isn't as big a douche as in prior books. I didn't realize that Cera was the one opening all these gates. I now get the whole Josef Stalin thing but still think it's a little weird. So Cera wants Loki to release her so that she can essentially take over Loki?

Devann (devannm) | 2676 comments haha so glad we all got to witness Loki's first experience with fake boobs ;) and then he was like 'well in asgard we just magic our boobs' and i'm like well if only that was a viable option here! i would magic mine smaller [much to his dismay i'm sure]

i finished it yesterday [as per usual lol] but there's a lot of game-changing stuff in this one so i'll just wait and comment as you guys go along.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Ha, I'd be the opposite and get them altered bigger :D

And finished! Where to start?!

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2676 comments i was like soooo mad when i first read this book lol (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2676 comments idk if claudia ever finished this? but i will probably start reading the 3.5 novella tomorrow. i think i'm gonna go ahead and request the next post for monday just so they will have time to get it up but we don't have to start til later if you guys don't want to

message 14: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia | 435 comments I finished. Sorry I just haven’t had time to come on and comment. I’ll probably post my in depth comments tomorrow but didn’t want to leave you guys hanging thinking I was still reading. I’ll probably be listening to the 3.5 book tomorrow or Thursday. Honestly this week is kind of assignment heavy hence the silence but I’m still listening to the books and in for this. I’ll be good to start book four on Monday too.

Devann (devannm) | 2676 comments no problem, i just didn't want to move too far ahead of you lol

message 16: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia | 435 comments Okay so I finally have a bti of free time to come and comment on the book.

I’m not going to lie was kind of annoyed for a good but of the book with how Loki seemed to be using sex to manipulate and distract Amy. I also got annoyed with how Amy didn’t seem to catch on to what he was doing. I also felt really annoyed with how he was deleting her e-mail and totally did actually kidnap her even if she didn’t realize that was what happened.

I actually didn’t think Loki died. Like when I was reading it and they started having all those flashbacks of Loki’s lives I totally had an ohh moment and was like he’s going to re-incarnate. And then when he tricks Cera into blowing herself up I was like I wonder how he will pop up next.

And oh my god Odin is a dick who held Loki in place and let him be raped as a horse like wtf? I was like yeah nope Loki needs to kill this guy.

I was surprised to see that Loki’s kids and Sigyn were still alive.
On another note for theories do you guys think Bohdi is Loki’s new incarnation? Is Amy really Hoenir? OR just connected in some way to Hoenir? Like the parallel was drawn that Amy was a lot like Hoenir when he was young and in love with Loki. Also Hoenir had those thoughts about how he felt like he wanted to be a woman but he would be punished by Odin if he shifted into a female form. I just feel like there is a connection there between Hoenir and Amy.

Devann (devannm) | 2676 comments dun dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuun. yeah i literally can't answer any of those BUT good questions at this point nontheless.

i agree that loki was more than a bit manipulative in their relationship. and i mean...just OBVIOUSLY so. like the only reason it even worked is because amy is SO but still. really the only point where i was actually angry with him was when he was thinking about tossing amy's birth control but then he decided not to ...although not really for the right reasons so i guess still kind of a dick move.

but yeah NOT AS MUCH OF A DICK AS ODIN. he's the actual worst

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Had some more thoughts thinking more about it. So I wonder - does Odin know that Loki transforms into other entities? If so, did he know that Loki inhabited the horse at that time?

I do think Bodhi will be Loki's incarnation - had to wonder why Loki wiped his memory so that makes sense. Though why would it take so long to remember anything? I got that he gave Amy his memories so when the time came, she could help him but how does that work exactly? Bodhi doesn't know who he is, and doesn't remember anything that happened. So one day he's just going to realize he has magic? Sorry, I think I'm just confusing myself now...

I didn't think Amy was Hoenir, but thought maybe she was a descendant. Remember Beatrice knew more about their world, and Hoenir even visited Beatrice at the end, so that's what I thought. Do see the similarities so maybe it's like a parallel universe thing? I just started In the balance so that's in my mind.

message 19: by Cathy M. (last edited Sep 26, 2019 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments So far thru Ch 5 and this world is too good to be true. Where are the cracks??

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia | 435 comments @Cathy Odin totally knew it was Loki. Like in the memory he called him a deviant for transforming into a horse and made some sort of statement that since he transformed into a horse he deserved to be F*cked as one.

message 21: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia | 435 comments I finished In the Balance Today and just (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2676 comments i agree that i am also not wild about (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Claudia wrote: "@Cathy Odin totally knew it was Loki. Like in the memory he called him a deviant for transforming into a horse and made some sort of statement that since he transformed into a horse he deserved to ..."

Oh yea! I couldn't recall but remember him saying that now. So seems like Odin has had it out for Loki for eons then. A never ending cycle.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished, that was super short and an easy read. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia | 435 comments @Cathy Yeah I know I’m looking forward to seeing more of Beatrice too. I’m curious to see if Bohdi does turn out to end up being Loki. I also despite my annoyance at the pregnancy cliché want to know if the baby survives? Do you have any theories on what you think will happen?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Chaos (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

C. Gockel (other topics)