Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > October 2019 Action Thrills and Chills Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Sep 17, 2019 01:01PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4672 comments Mod
Our October group read theme is Action Thrills and Chills. This means any book that contains action and/or adventure mixed with chilling, thrilling, and scary moments, since it's October.

So you can pick a book that you'd like to read in this theme (with Action/Adventure content) that meets the standard qualifications for the group read selection process.

(Please recall that we don't vote for books we've already had as a group read--There's a link below to check our list of previous group reads).

Here are the other considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You can view the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).
6. Authors are asked not to nominate their own books or solicit nominations from members.

Please feel free to include a blurb for the book so others know a little about the book, along with your Goodreads book link.

The poll will go up on September 24rd.

message 2: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments I'll nominate; ”THUNDERHEAD”
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 3: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 153 comments I nominate On The Black On The Black by Theo Cage by Theo Cage

A CIA MYSTERY BLACK OPS THRILLER.
One of the most decorated covert agents in U.S. history, Burroughs Rice, has been “on the black” for ten years, deep under cover and running for his life from some of the world's most dangerous power brokers.

When a mysterious government agency stumbles onto the ex-agent in the wilds of Washington State, they force Rice to deal with a terrible secret. What follows is a harrowing road trip across the American heartland with Rice at war with an army of International mercenaries, an organized crime family, and an ultra-violent biker gang.

Complicating his mission is a young hitchhiker he rescues, and a trauma nurse who becomes an unwitting ally.

ON THE BLACK comes to a surprising climax in the nation's capital - an armed showdown in one of the country's most famous national treasures.

Based on hundreds of hours of research, including interviews with actual intelligence operatives, ON THE BLACK is epic, suspenseful, and ultimately revealing.

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1962 comments Mod
I want to nominate Blood Oath Blood Oath (Nathaniel Cade, #1) by Christopher Farnsworth by Christopher Farnsworth

This book is about a man who has protected the Presidents of the United States for 140 years and happens to be a vampire. Don't be alarmed...It is not your typical vampire fare by any means. One reviewer says it is a cross between Baldacci and Rice, and I agree! Lots of action and horror!

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 44 comments I'll +1 thunderhead

message 6: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 12 comments Lisa P wrote: "I want to nominate Blood Oath Blood Oath (Nathaniel Cade, #1) by Christopher Farnsworth by Christopher Farnsworth

This book is about a man who has protected the Presidents of the United State..."

Oooo.......that sounds interesting!

message 7: by Joan (last edited Sep 24, 2019 02:13PM) (new)

Joan (joanfromknik) | 1 comments I'll nominate a book that crosses genre lines, "The Fold" by Peter Clines. It has suspense, action, science fiction, and is just a good tale. To quote the blurb, "A cunningly inventive mystery featuring a hero worthy of Sherlock Holmes and a terrifying final twist you’ll never see coming, The Fold is that rarest of things: a genuinely page-turning science-fiction thriller. "

The Fold

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4672 comments Mod
Sorry the poll's a day late. I got my signals crossed. The poll will close on 9/30 at 11:59 pm Pacific.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...