What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Priestess of the Forest (Druid #1)
This topic is about Priestess of the Forest
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. YA Dark Ages Britain fantasy novel about druidess whose son is taken to be raised by Christian monks, author was pagan. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Dec 25, 2019 04:02AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 84 comments Read in the late 2000s. Cover was green with a woman, possibly wearing a hood/cloak.

The heroine was a Celtic druidess/pagan priestess who may or may not have had magic powers. She had an affair with a warrior (?) and they had a son together. The boy was abducted by Christian monks and taken to be raised in a monastery. For some reason (possibly political) she felt like she was helpless and couldn't get her son back. At the end of the novel the villagers, having driven out the druids at the behest of Christian priests, were left in confusion because they had lived their whole lives under the pagans’ guidance.

An author’s note at the end revealed the woman who wrote the book was herself a neo-pagan. She wrote this to proselytize her religion, insisting they weren’t devil-worshipers and was adamant that her group were not Wiccans. I checked the book out from a library, probably in the children’s’ or YA section.

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 84 comments bump

message 5: by Caotico09 (new)

Caotico09 | 7 comments Have you checked among Mercedes Lackey books? She is a pagan. Beyond that, im not sure. GL.

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 84 comments Caotico09 wrote: "Have you checked among Mercedes Lackey books? She is a pagan. Beyond that, im not sure. GL."

I glanced through hers, I don't think any of them are the one I'm looking for. The book I read was definitely more recent and probably published in the early to mid-2000s. I also don't think the author was as prolific as Mercedes Lackey; the book felt very unpolished and amateurish as far as the writing went.

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 84 comments I should mention, looking back at how cheap the book looked, there's a fair chance it was self-published.

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 84 comments I think that’s it! Thanks!

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35178 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Priestess of the Forest by Ellen Evert Hopman - Ayshe's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9gu...

There is a glossary and list of characters with pronunciations at the beginning of the book. Sketched leafs illustrate the first page of each chapter.

Is this your book, Amanda?

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 84 comments Kris wrote: "Here's the Google Books preview of Priestess of the Forest by Ellen Evert Hopman - Ayshe's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9gu......"

Oh yeah. I'd recognize that awful cover anywhere. And it has the condescending interview at the end, too. I'll mark it as solved.