Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Read Your Way Around the World

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 72 comments One of our Middle School Teachers has asked me to compile a list of Middle Grade books (written in or translated into English) set in various countries around the world for a 5th Grade - 11 year olds - Read Your Way Around the World Reading Challenge. The titles can be of any genre. I want to ensure that the list includes books that would be accepted by those of that country/culture and understand that for some countries, more than one choice needs to be listed. Do you have any suggestions please? When making suggestions, please state if this is your country of birth or your connection with this country. When asked for the list, I thought it was a relatively easy ask and was confident that many others would have created lists - I haven't found what I'm looking for.

message 2: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 311 comments I recently did a couple of blog post on MG books that take you Real Places and MG books that take you to Exotic places. Let me figure out how to put that link up, or failing that I’ll list the books in those articles. If you can’t wait that long, look up my website link in my bio and you should find it under ‘Blogs/book themes’.

message 3: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 72 comments Thanks very much Justine, I’ve found your blog. There were several books that I didn’t have on my list.

message 4: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 311 comments OK, that's great. Glad it's useful. I just realised I never linked one of them to that page of my blog - the one entitled MG books that Take You to Real Places has a 2-3 more books (Africa, North America and Holland). It's linked on that page now. If there are anymore countries you'd like and you are missing in your search, put it up here and I'm sure we can put our heads together and come up with a list. Of the top of my head, that's outside my blog list, I can think of Australia, Russia and France already!

message 5: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 72 comments Thank you 😊

message 7: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 72 comments thanks - I didn't have Serafina's Promise

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney  Goffstein (peppycourt) | 1 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

This book is about two siblings that time travel back to the French Revolution (Bastille Day) etc. I loved it when I was younger. She has a whole series now...the second one time travels back to Egypt I think...

message 9: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 72 comments Thanks for the recommendation.