Afraid of All the Things Book Club! discussion

Afraid of All the Things: Tornadoes, Cancer, Adoption, and Other Stuff You Need the Gospel For
This topic is about Afraid of All the Things
QUESTION TO DISCUSS: Ch. 1

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scarlet (last edited Sep 19, 2019 07:33AM) (new) - added it

Scarlet Hiltibidal (scarlethiltibidal) | 40 comments Mod
On pages 14 and 15, I talk about being "afraid of the Bible" as a child. Have you experienced that? And what did it look like in your life?

Anne | 5 comments I was never afraid of the bible as a child, as we were nominal Christians at best. I came to the Lord as an adult, and I’ve never been afraid of the bible. I have had a difficult time relating to God as Father however, as I had such a crappy example of an earth father, excuse my language.

Delphanie (delphhaniew) | 5 comments I think I've been afraid of it in different ways over time. When I was very young, it was scary as a rule book and my old perfectionist self thought I could never get it all right. Elementary and middle school had moments where I felt like I could never understand the big and fancy words in the Bible. Definitely had some times in college when I felt intimidated because I felt like my theological knowledge was lacking. I'd say this last one still happens to me sometimes!

message 4: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Anne wrote: "I was never afraid of the bible as a child, as we were nominal Christians at best. I came to the Lord as an adult, and I’ve never been afraid of the bible. I have had a difficult time relating to G..."

That makes so much sense!

message 5: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Delphanie wrote: "I think I've been afraid of it in different ways over time. When I was very young, it was scary as a rule book and my old perfectionist self thought I could never get it all right. Elementary and m..."

Totally! That was me, Delphanie!

Suzy | 2 comments I don’t remember a fear of the Bible as a child. My fear came later on. One way was comparing myself to others that seemed to have such a deeper understanding or faith than I did. The Bible was a reminder of my inconsistencies and my shallow faith.

message 7: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana | 6 comments I agree with many of you. I don't think I was/am "afraid" of the Bible as much as I was/am OVERWHELMED by it. As a kid, it was overwhelmed by the rules and I've really grown and come a long way from my legalistic tendencies. But I was always a rule follower and felt a lot of pressure to achieve and perform and definitely thought my value came from how good I could be or at least appear to everyone else. Then as I got older, I became overwhelmed by how much of the Bible I didn't know or understand or didn't have enough knowledge about to adequately put things into context and I became overwhelmed by dwelling on how much I had gotten "wrong" in the past and about past mistakes that came from naivety. I've come a long way through the grace of Jesus. I think now the things I have anxiety about related to the Bible are the things it doesn't spell out plainly for me. The things left up to interpretation. The things that don't have rules and regulations for me to follow. But grace. And Jesus continues to shower me with it and present me with opportunities to grasp for it and hold onto it. I can rest knowing He knows and He sees and He hears and He understands and the pressure of all that was never meant to be on MY shoulders and I'm the one guilty of putting it there. So, am I afraid of the Bible? Definitely not. Maybe I was at once in my life. But it definitely has and continues to bring me anxiety if I let my head and heart go there.

message 8: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana | 6 comments Delphanie wrote: "I think I've been afraid of it in different ways over time. When I was very young, it was scary as a rule book and my old perfectionist self thought I could never get it all right. Elementary and m..."

this resonates a lot with me thank you for sharing.

message 9: by Dana (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:57PM) (new) - added it

Dana | 6 comments Suzy wrote: "I don’t remember a fear of the Bible as a child. My fear came later on. One way was comparing myself to others that seemed to have such a deeper understanding or faith than I did. The Bible was a r..."

that comparison factor is such a monster. I've definitely felt the same way about the Bible that you described as almost pointing out your flaws, inconsistencies, and lack of depth. I think that's a tactic of Satan to draw us away from the physical word of God- shame. But man is it an effective tactic! And it works! Yet, truly, what the Word of God is for us is a story about hellaciously imperfect people who God continued to use for His purposes and His glory and His plan that always was and always will be to bring us back to Himself. His purposes for the Word in our lives can only be good. Humbling to think about as we become aware of how we have given into the enemy's scare tactics.

message 10: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Suzy wrote: "I don’t remember a fear of the Bible as a child. My fear came later on. One way was comparing myself to others that seemed to have such a deeper understanding or faith than I did. The Bible was a r..."

Oh man. I've been there. It's been very hard for me in the past to move past conviction to sanctification -- accepting the forgiveness of Jesus... I remember times I'd get STUCK and feel condemned even though faith in Jesus is about how we are NOT condemned -- we are loved. SO so hard!

message 11: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Dana wrote: "I agree with many of you. I don't think I was/am "afraid" of the Bible as much as I was/am OVERWHELMED by it. As a kid, it was overwhelmed by the rules and I've really grown and come a long way fro..."

Yes! I've had such a similar experience, Dana! Thank you for sharing!

Delphanie (delphhaniew) | 5 comments Dana wrote: "Delphanie wrote: "I think I've been afraid of it in different ways over time. When I was very young, it was scary as a rule book and my old perfectionist self thought I could never get it all right..."

I am so glad! Also reassured to know someone else can relate.

message 13: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi (mimicychan) | 2 comments i was afraid I'd be left behind in the rapture from reading about that in the Bible which then made me question if I was really saved for years

message 14: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Huddleston | 2 comments I can recall a memory I had totally forgotten about until now. I was in 10th or 11th grade and was talking with one of my best friends whose family went to church and I remember her talking about how scary the books of Jude and Revelation were because they talked about the end times, weird creatures and hell. Not growing up in a Christian home and having never really read the Bible until college I remember being freaked out that the Bible would talk about those kinds of things. It all makes much more sense as a believing adult and Revelation is now one of my favorite books in the Bible.