Book Club for Introverts discussion

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
This topic is about The Beekeeper of Aleppo
The Beekeeper of Aleppo > Chapters 3 - Istanbul

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Let's discuss!

Aimee Dars (aimeedars) | 6 comments This section seems so ominous. Nuri sees the devestation of Aleppo and the rest of Syria and fears no recovery is possible while Afra describes a fantasy version of their surroundings. Death and family separations are almost so commonplace they are unremarkable.

I wondered if Mohammed was a figment of Nuri's imagination since no one else talked to him or seemed to interact with him.

Nuri and Afra have more opportunities than most refugees at this point because they have money to pay smugglers. Still, they have to weigh whom to trust, as when they and Ali encountered the man on the bike who warned of the sniper.

In Instanbul, Nuri reads email from Mustafa who has had a difficult journey thus far. Since Nuri hasn't contacted him in the present day, it makes me fearful of his fate.

Sally Durbin | 16 comments I was also wondering about Mohammed’s existence as well, since there hadn’t been any mention of him before and the fact that he refers to Nuri as uncle. I assumed they were family, and now knowing where they met I’m a bit fearful of the outcome for Mohammed.

And there is definitely so much uncertainty in regards to leaving the country. You don’t know who to trust, how long you might be stuck somewhere. You get a glimpse of Mustafa’s travels now through the emails and you have to wonder what will be in store for Nuri and Afra as their journey continues.