Audiobooks discussion

Technical stuff > Overdrive changes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Overdrive has just pulled a nasty - macs and mac products can no longer download from libraries using overdrive. We are left with the overdrive app or the Libby app. Neither one has an equalizer...

Any workarounds?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1520 comments looks like they maybe updated the interface - https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/0475... - this was updated sept 5 of this year

message 3: by Sterling (last edited Sep 16, 2019 07:36AM) (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Yes, they DID update the interface and this is EXACTLY what I am complaining about.

I have used the library for years and years and never had a problem and now they say - oh sorry but macs and apple products (iPhone and iPads) can no longer download audiobooks.

AND yes, they say, we can use the overdrive app or the libby app but no, cannot download and use players that are much more enhanced

message 4: by Denise (last edited Sep 16, 2019 08:22AM) (new)

Denise | 17 comments Check if your library subscribes also to Hoopla, ToolBox (or something like that) or another e-book/audiobook service. I've recently downloaded audiobooks and e-books from Overdrive (not using the app) with no problem with my apple laptop and IPad - when did this start?

message 5: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments I will check and keep my fingers crossed - this just started in the last few days. You get a notice saying your book on hold is now ready but instead of downloading an audiobook, when you click on the button to download, it changes to say "read in browser". I am a very long time user of this service and macs so this is definitely not something I am mistaking. I have a couple of libraries too so this is not an individual library but overdrive itself. Do you remember back when you could choose .mp3 or .wma? I think this is a regression...

message 6: by Sterling (last edited Sep 16, 2019 08:51AM) (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Well, my library DOES have Hoopla and after jumping through... naw... I did finally sign up and I did download a book BUT the book only plays through Hoopla's own player, which is fairly simplistic.

I want my mp3s back so I can use my player that has awesome controls and really fine equalization and good controls on speed.

Some readers need to be tamed down to a slightly slower speed. The overdrive app goes from 100% speed to - next step - 50%. How stupid is that. Libby is a bit better.

message 8: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 195 comments Ah, so that's what happened - I can no longer access my OverDrive audiobook at work either (via Firefox). It can load the OverDrive page but when it tries to load the audiobook so I can listen through my browser, it comes back with "the connection timed out". Really inconvenient since audiobooks are my workplace background noise/stress reliever. Help? (It won't let me access the Help page on OverDrive either)

message 9: by Sterling (last edited Sep 16, 2019 09:28AM) (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Ah, so that's what happened - I can no longer access my OverDrive audiobook at work either (via Firefox). It can load the OverDrive page but when it tries to load the audiobook so I can listen thro..."

Have you tried safari?

I was hoping to maybe dl the windows file and convert to mp3 but looks like that won't work either... they have a 'read in browser' also

message 10: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 195 comments Mine's a PC, not Apple, so no Safari here unfortunately.

message 11: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Mine's a PC, not Apple, so no Safari here unfortunately."
Safari is for PC too

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise | 17 comments Call your library and complain, complain, complain - they can threaten to not subscribe to Overdrive if this isn't changed.

message 13: by Sterling (last edited Sep 16, 2019 02:52PM) (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments I seriously doubt that will do any good as ALL the libraries that use Overdrive are having to use the changed policy. We are talking millions of libraries. They are not refusing the audiobooks, just that you now have to use THEIR player. Which is nowhere as good as the one I have.

I think this is back to the DRM (Digital Rights Management) that was in such a hoo-hah some years back. The artists want more control of their digital rights and the mp3 format is very open to piracy. They used to let you download .wma files and they could actually carry the DRM in a key on the download so - poof - your book would 'not be available after your borrowing time. They can't insert a drm key into mp3

I do sympathize with the artists but I hate losing the ability to use much better players.

BTW - if you don't know about these people and you love books: https://www.scribd.com $9 a month and they have quite a lot of good books and new books too. Audio and e-books. When they first started they didn't have so much but they do now so check them out. You click 'save to my list' and come back whenever. Yeah, you have to use their player but at least it is better than the overdrive or libby apps.

message 14: by Denise (last edited Sep 16, 2019 03:10PM) (new)

Denise | 17 comments I'm confused. I'm on my Mac laptop, using Firefox. I just borrowed an audiobook from Overdrive (from the library website). It said "listen now in browser." But, then I went to my iPAD and clicked Overdrive and connected to my account and it downloaded, same with my iPhone (which I use when I workout and I cannot workout without an audiobook going but it works on this whew!!) So, I'm confused about what that Help page announced.

message 15: by Denise (last edited Sep 16, 2019 03:19PM) (new)

Denise | 17 comments Sterling wrote: "I seriously doubt that will do any good as ALL the libraries that use Overdrive are having to use the changed policy. We are talking millions of libraries. They are not refusing the audiobooks, jus..."

Ohh so you are using some kind of player they aren't accepting.

Call the library - librarians network - librarians belong to the American Library Association, or the British Library Association, ,etc. etc. The Association will protest this and it does work!

I'm a retired librarian.

message 16: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Denise wrote: "I'm confused. I'm on my Mac laptop, using Firefox. I just borrowed an audiobook from Overdrive (from the library website). It said "listen now in browser." But, then I went to my iPAD and clicked O..."

Well I am confused but hopeful -
when did you last download a book through overdrive to your iPad? when you open your book to listen, what player is showing?
Is the book actually downloading the mp3 files or is it a stream?

What I am thinking is that you are using either the overdrive player or the Libby player. Can you open those files in Music, the iPhone apple app for music?

THANKS!!

message 17: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Denise wrote: "Sterling wrote: "I seriously doubt that will do any good as ALL the libraries that use Overdrive are having to use the changed policy. We are talking millions of libraries. They are not refusing th..."

My librarians are not too interested in anything digital. I do hate to say that but it's true. I've loved the library since I learned to walk so don't get me wrong.

Millions of libraries are using the Overdrive services - if they are doing anything digital, they are using Overdrive and it is a massive company - and protesting would be like a candle in the wind...

It's not as if you can't get the books and listen to them. You are just confined to THEIR player. I am a purist. I want my super cool player.

I will try though! Never try, never succeed.
Thanks

message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 326 comments It sounds to me like your efforts would have more chance of success if you lobbied for improvements to Overdrive’s player i.e. ask for the features you want.

message 19: by Sterling (last edited Sep 17, 2019 01:11PM) (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments I've tried and that gets nowhere. Maybe I will try pushing the librarians to ask, although I feel no hope there.

AND I have been begging audible to add an equalizer for years and years. Even a little 5-band would help. We spend a lot of money there and I get back the "what a good idea." and they refer me to the brainstorming team who say "what a good idea, we are thinking about that." and that's the reply I've gotten for years and years and years.

I guess not as many people who listen to books are as vocal about the sound quality as the people who listen to music. They listen to the music people.

message 20: by Denise (last edited Sep 17, 2019 03:09PM) (new)

Denise | 17 comments Sterling wrote: "Denise wrote: "I'm confused. I'm on my Mac laptop, using Firefox. I just borrowed an audiobook from Overdrive (from the library website). It said "listen now in browser." But, then I went to my iPA..."

I'll try to answer your questions -

I downloaded an audiobook yesterday 9.16.19.

I don't see anything about a player.

I have the Apple music app but have never used it and have no idea how it works with an audiobook.

Sorry I'm not helpful but, from my perspective except for where it says "listen now in your browser" nothing has changed for me - I'm still able to get the audiobooks on my Mac and devices.

message 21: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments My problem is not the ability to GET the audiobooks. My problem is to get the audiobooks in MP3 FORMAT. Doing that enables me to use some very nice audio tools. I can get the files through that "listen now in your browser" business but I'd rather have my old way back.

When you say "listen now in your browser" that tells me you are already listening through the overdrive app and that you never were downloading the mp3 files. If you were you'd know it as it is several steps to get the files and then you'd have to load the files to a device or your computer. A more complex arrangement than "listen now in your browser".

Thanks though!

message 22: by Denise (last edited Sep 19, 2019 09:14AM) (new)

Denise | 17 comments Sterling wrote: "My problem is not the ability to GET the audiobooks. My problem is to get the audiobooks in MP3 FORMAT. Doing that enables me to use some very nice audio tools. I can get the files through that "li..."

Yes, I understand. My county library association who has these services for all the libraries in the county available has now put IN BIG BOLD LETTERS that Overdrive no longer allows MP3 to download on the main page you have to go to borrow audiobooks or ebooks. So I hope there will be some action.

Good luck!

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda | 97 comments Yes, this stinks!! :(

I always download and transfer to my Sansa MP3 player as it's much smaller to carry around in my pocket than my phone is. And I can get the book ahead of time, then listen to it when my book discussion rolls around.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Linda wrote: "Yes, this stinks!! :(

I always download and transfer to my Sansa MP3 player as it's much smaller to carry around in my pocket than my phone is. And I can get the book ahead of time, then listen t..."

Ditto. Thankfully none of my libraries has cut off MP3 downloads in Overdrive. I haven't read this thread closely, but I hope it's not a new thing they're rolling out.

message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 74 comments This is only affecting Apple/Mac users and from what I read it's due to the new Catalina OS that now only works with 64-bit apps. This makes Overdrive not compatible. Overdrive will have to write new software to be 64-bit enabled and make the downloading work again.

Maybe with many people lodging a complaint to Overdrive, they will prioritize their coding?

message 26: by Denise (last edited Sep 19, 2019 10:51AM) (new)

Denise | 17 comments Jim wrote: "Linda wrote: "Yes, this stinks!! :(

I always download and transfer to my Sansa MP3 player as it's much smaller to carry around in my pocket than my phone is. And I can get the book ahead of time,..."

The libraries have no control over what Overdrive does. They have stopped the ability to download mp3 only to the Mac, though. The libraries can protest or cut off service of Overdrive so they do have some influence about changes. Talk to your librarian and register your complaint.

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda | 97 comments OK, I see I jumped the gun as it only affects Macs at this point, so I’m still safe. Still, the worry is now there for the future.

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 34 comments Sterling wrote: "I seriously doubt that will do any good as ALL the libraries that use Overdrive are having to use the changed policy. We are talking millions of libraries. They are not refusing the audiobooks, jus..."

When I search for a book in Overdrive I always go to advanced search, pull down the "format" option and choose MP3. I don't get any titles that are NOT available as MP3 when I do it that way. Have you tried that?

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Pamela wrote: "This is only affecting Apple/Mac users and from what I read it's due to the new Catalina OS that now only works with 64-bit apps. This makes Overdrive not compatible. Overdrive will have to write n..."

That's a shame, but I'm safe since I use a PC. Can MAC users stay on an older OS & just patch it or are they forced to upgrade? Only allowing 64 bit apps seems pretty draconian. If it's a computer I pretty sure you can change the properties of the program to run in a lower mode. I don't know if that's available on their devices like iPads, though.

message 30: by John, Moderator (last edited Sep 21, 2019 07:44PM) (new)

John | 3668 comments Kandice wrote: "Sterling wrote: "I seriously doubt that will do any good as ALL the libraries that use Overdrive are having to use the changed policy. We are talking millions of libraries. They are not refusing th..."

Kandice wrote: "Sterling wrote: "I seriously doubt that will do any good as ALL the libraries that use Overdrive are having to use the changed policy. We are talking millions of libraries. They are not refusing th..."

The format choice thing is a holdover from back when overdrive also offered protected WMA books as well. With only MP3 offerings these days it's basically a meaningless step in the process.

message 31: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 2 comments Sterling wrote: "Safari is for PC too"

It has been a very long time since Safari was available/updated for Windows.

From Apple's site:
Apple no longer offers Safari updates for Windows. Safari 5.1.7 for Windows was the last version made for Windows, and it is now outdated.
Published Date: September 24, 2018
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204416

message 32: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Beauchemin | 9 comments Just found this on Reddit:
Overdrive app still works on Mac. If you do not update to macOS Catalina next month, the Overdrive app will still work then, too.
All you need to do, to continue downloading MP3s, is to change the User Agent in your browser so that it identifies to the Overdrive site as a Windows browser. I just logged into my library site using Safari, went to Loans, then changed the User Agent to identify as "Chrome - Windows", and VOILA, the "download MP3" button returned, the odm file downloaded, and opened in Overdrive as it always has. The files downloaded, and all is well.
Very, very simple fix. If you need to update to macOS Catalina, then I recommend an app called Audio Hijack which will allow you to silently play the audiobook in your browser but record it to an MP3 that you can then use just like the MP3s you can download from Overdrive.

message 33: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments The major difference is this - you can choose to 'listen in browser' or you could actually download the mp3 files and transfer these to your chosen mp3 player, like an iPhone.

I MUCH prefer to download the mp3 files and transfer to my iPhone BECAUSE I have some really, really good players on the iPhone and I can change the way the books sound. Add more base, flatten out something too high pitch, etc. change the speed, use the super equalizers... and other functions.

HOWEVER - Praise be to Overdrive - OVERDRIVE has fixed the problem!!

"OverDrive is working quickly to restore the download option for MP3 audiobooks to users running macOS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) through 10.14 (Mojave), but not the most recent update, Catalina. For more information about this change, please read."

message 34: by Sterling (last edited Sep 28, 2019 11:56PM) (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Sheryl wrote: "Just found this on Reddit:
Overdrive app still works on Mac. If you do not update to macOS Catalina next month, the Overdrive app will still work then, too.
All you need to do, to continue download..."

thanks very much for this info!

message 35: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Andrew wrote: "Sterling wrote: "Safari is for PC too"

It has been a very long time since Safari was available/updated for Windows.

well that sucketh - shame on apple. Safari is my favorite browser. I use an app called Little Snitch and the times I have tried to DL chrome or the latest mozilla, Little Snitch goes wild asking if I will "allow this" and "allow that" . These browsers want all this information out of my computer but with Little Snitch (called as such because it is telling on these slick sneakers) you have to actually GIVE permission for each kind of request. Chrome covered my entire screen with those little windows asking for permissions.

message 36: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments John wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Sterling wrote: "I seriously doubt that will do any good as ALL the libraries that use Overdrive are having to use the changed policy. We are talking millions of libraries. They are..."

Thanks - I remember when the wma files had the DRM embedded and when the due date hit, they were gone. Can't use DRM with mp3.

message 37: by W. (new)

W.  Frazier | 31 comments This link came up on my library’s overdrive page today.

https://company.overdrive.com/2019/09...

message 38: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments I was so very pleased to get an email from overdrive saying they had fixed this for the current iOS - wow!!! I went to their attached url and nearly cried!

I am listening to a Deepak Chopra and using Libby or Overdrive was just awful. Mushy audio. Putting the mp3 files on the iPhone using a really good player with a lot of bells and whistles? made his voice so clear.

I sure appreciate them fixing this,

message 39: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1059 comments You don't necessarily need to upgrade your Mac if you don't choose to. As long as you keep the old one, it will work (for now).

message 40: by Sterling (last edited Oct 07, 2019 09:14PM) (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments Robin wrote: "You don't necessarily need to upgrade your Mac if you don't choose to. As long as you keep the old one, it will work (for now)."

For now, yeah... I liked the old apple group. Tim Cook just wants money money and that's all he cares about. He forgets he has customers.

message 41: by L J (last edited Oct 08, 2019 07:49AM) (new)

L J | 284 comments Library patron told me he couldn't download latest checked out audiobook from Overdrive to his iPhone, message said not compatible device. He was going to try removing removing then re-downloading overdrive. I suggested he try Libby since it seems more designed for phone use.
For another library patron COR error message showed up when trying to get Overdrive kindle book from Amazon for Fire tablet using Windows 10 laptop.
ETA: Neither had a problem until this week. I'm wondering if Overdrive fixes to the update are creating other problems.

message 42: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments "message said not compatible device."
that is a simple reboot fix - the iPhone does this once in a while

message 43: by L J (new)

L J | 284 comments Sterling wrote: ""message said not compatible device."
that is a simple reboot fix - the iPhone does this once in a while"

Thanks.
I don't have iPhone and only person I know who has one just waits for son to visit to do anything other than call, text, or play game already there.

message 44: by Sterling (new)

Sterling Hill | 34 comments well... apple has some excellent 'how to do' on their web site if your friend is interested in learning... I always hate to hear somebody say that an older person is less able to use current technology because they are old. Who the F do they think built this technology? Did teenagers build the internet? Cheee - a lot of this is not hard IF you are willing to read some instructions.

Cheers.

message 45: by L J (new)

L J | 284 comments Notice from library:
"Hello Overdrive/Libby user...
Beginning on November 1, Macmillan Publishers will allow libraries to purchase only ONE copy of each new eBook title for the first eight weeks after its release....this change will only affect the book titles they and their subsidiaries (Tor, St. Martin's Press, and Farrar, Strauss & Giroux) publish....
The good news is that this change does not affect audiobooks. And did you know that audiobooks are now the most popular form of books?
...know that we are working with other libraries to try to address these changes. If you’d like to read more about it or sign the petition, visit ebooksforall.org."

message 46: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3668 comments Don't get too comfortable ...

I've noticed a trend where publishers hold back the audio edition (available via Audible only), making the title available much later, if at all.

message 47: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Yes their policy does not affect the audiobooks, however as of right now I am not purchasing ANY Macmillan titles or their imprints whether it be Ebook or Audiobook for at least 4 months(which is how long my 30 library consortium has to wait for a second copy). I feel bad for the authors and I don't like it because Macmillian has been good to me as a blogger and reviewer but right now as a Librarian I have to stand up for my patrons and we (librarians) hope if we hit them in the pocketbook they will realize we are not their competition.

I hope you all will be supportive of your libraries in this fight because we are fighting for you! Many strongly worded letters have been written from Library associations across the country but I and many others feel that a sternly worded letter isn't enough and that the only way they will listen is if we boycott for the same amount of time they are embargoing us.

Here is the letter that the American Library Association wrote to Macmillan
http://www.ala.org/news/press-release...

message 48: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 74 comments MissSusie wrote: "Yes their policy does not affect the audiobooks, however as of right now I am not purchasing ANY Macmillan titles or their imprints whether it be Ebook or Audiobook for at least 4 months(which is h..."

Thanks for posting the info MissSusie! Yep, librarians are fighting this!

message 49: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3668 comments MissSusie wrote: "Yes their policy does not affect the audiobooks, however as of right now I am not purchasing ANY Macmillan titles or their imprints whether it be Ebook or Audiobook for at least 4 months(which is h..."

MissSusie wrote: "Yes their policy does not affect the audiobooks, however as of right now I am not purchasing ANY Macmillan titles or their imprints whether it be Ebook or Audiobook for at least 4 months(which is h..."

I thought it was eight weeks (two months)?

message 50: by L J (last edited Oct 30, 2019 08:39PM) (new)

L J | 284 comments When Harper-Collins restricted check outs of ebooks to 26 times the local library, Pioneer Library System Oklahoma, informed HarperCollins that "until a change is made in the licensing, the Virtual Library cannot, in good conscience, spend our limited budget to repeatedly purchase e-book titles from HarperCollins or any other publisher who enforces checkout limits." That was years ago. Now most publishers license ebooks to libraries for 2 years. If check out is for 3 weeks that's about 34 check outs if patrons wait for book to auto return. There seems to be a move toward applying the same restriction to audio.
July 2019 article in Publisher Weekly has more information about problems libraries face when it comes to digital access to both ebooks and audio. https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...