Rated YA-MA discussion

Archive > Check-UP BOTM

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1070 comments How are we feeling regarding BOTM nominations and polls?
Any suggestions for improving the process?
Any rules modifications needed?
Are the nomination voting periods too long or too short?
How about the trial new rule? Should we keep it?

Here are the rules as they currently stand:
Members have 7 days to nominate books.
- One nomination per member.
- Trial New Rule: Members may second as many nominations as they wish. The top 10 nominations will be part of the polls
- Nominations need to be YA nominations only.
- The book must be first in a series or a standalone.
- The book must be at least 3 months old, so members don't have to fight with new release waitlists at the library.
- Book must also be available in print and not just ebook form.
- No author promotions, please.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1232 comments The polls are fine with me but I would like to suggest discussion topics regarding the book. Maybe 1 topic for each 25% of the book (1 per week) so we generate more comments and thoughts while we are reading together.

message 3: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I prefer one nomination per member, it feels less messy that way.

message 4: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1070 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I prefer one nomination per member, it feels less messy that way."

My thought process was to encourage more discussion. If someone already nominated a book that would have been your suggestion, you can chime in and boost that book.

Some groups do 1 nomination and 1 second per poll. Would that be more to your liking?

*Most people have been either nominating or seconding a book these past few months.

message 5: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1070 comments Diane wrote: "The polls are fine with me but I would like to suggest discussion topics regarding the book. Maybe 1 topic for each 25% of the book (1 per week) so we generate more comments and thoughts while we a..."

That is doable. Or if there are natural breaks in a story, we can use them. (If the post-er has read the book far enough in advance to set it up properly.)

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments I am enjoying it and I don't mind the nomination process so far. maybe when we have more nominations we should look at it again??
I like Diane's suggestion about the discussion of the book though. More discussion would be great.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 378 comments I'm sorry that I haven't been adding much to the BOTM discussions. I have so many awesome books on my list that I'm not in to re-reads right now, so I'm trying to remember the books the best I can from my previous reading of them. I seem to have read all of the ones that keep getting nominated. Maybe I've read too much...NAH, can't be!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 378 comments I think the current nomination process seems to be working fine so far as well.

message 9: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1070 comments Jennifer wrote: "I'm sorry that I haven't been adding much to the BOTM discussions. I have so many awesome books on my list that I'm not in to re-reads right now, so I'm trying to remember the books the best I can ..."

I try to nominate books I haven't read unless it is something I passionately want other people to read.

message 10: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1070 comments bump