75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2019 GR Challenge) > Finding my way to make reading a good habit again

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (christine_may) | 7 comments I used to read and then got busy with other things. Not having read for so long this is a great way for me to get back to loving books again. Starting late in the year my goal is 4 books a month to begin with which means 16 for this year. I’m currently reading Bleak House and the way it’s going I don’t know if I’ll be able to fit another three in - but I’ll try. Doing Victober next month and have five books lined up for that. I’m so happy to be returning to the glorious world of books.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I just joined last week and am also trying to get back into the habit of reading, we can work on it together :) I also have a smaller goal since I'm starting later-12 books for the rest of the year, including Stephen King's It, which is over 1,000 pages and will take up most of October for me lol.

Welcome to the group!

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2616 comments Christine wrote: "I used to read and then got busy with other things. Not having read for so long this is a great way for me to get back to loving books again. Starting late in the year my goal is 4 books a month to..."

Welcome and good luck on challenging yourself. Hope you can make it work.

message 4: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments Welcome! I've never read Bleak House, but if you're enjoying it don't worry about how quickly or slowly it is going, or whether it 'takes too long' and you don't get 16 books read by the end of the year. There's always next year ;) The point is to just read. Numbers pick up when you get back in practice. (Here's a silly trick I did when I had gotten out of the habit of reading and was having a hard time getting back in the groove: I went to the library. I didn't even check anything out at first. I just wandered around smelling the books, soaking in the atmosphere and losing track of time, picking up a few and feeling them, listening to the sound of pages turning. It sounds weird (like, really, really weird), but that did more to bring me back in touch with that kid that would rather read than eat than all of my 'reading plans' and book journals and goals. Best part? No one in there acted like it was in the slightest bit odd, LOL!)

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2616 comments Stacie wrote: "Welcome! I've never read Bleak House, but if you're enjoying it don't worry about how quickly or slowly it is going, or whether it 'takes too long' and you don't get 16 books read by the end of the..."

That is great advice, Stacie. The thing that helped me was listening to audio books. Had them in my car. If you have kids, there are LOTS of kids books that are interesting for adults.

Katie {awonderfulbook} | 658 comments Welcome, Christine :)

Stacie, that is great advice :) And I agree with Carol about audio books. I've only really gotten into them this year, but they do help fill in time when you don't have to concentrate on anything but the book. I listen to one when I go for walks, and I love that. Also when travelling.

I've been really getting back into reading in the last couple of years, and I've read more this year than in previous years, so it does take time to get into your stride. As Stacie said, the important thing is just to read and have fun with it. You'll figure out what works for you eventually.

I really love Bleak House. It's long, but it's one of Dickens' most engrossing, and my favourite of his.

Can you share what you're going to read for Victober?

message 7: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4070 comments Mod
Christine, so happy to have you as part of our group. I know for me there are times where I want to do nothing but read and then other times when I struggle just to finish a book. Like many others audio books are key for me. I just listen any opportunity I have. Also, don't force yourself to read something you are not enjoying, that is the fastest way to get yourself into a slump. Books sometimes are better at different times. Put down something you are not enjoying and come back to it at a later date.