Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Sunday Conversation Topic 9/15/19

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Finding a stopping place in your book.

Do you try to stop at the end of a chapter? Do you count tue pages of the next chapter to see if you can finish it before you have to stop? What do you do when a book has extremely long chapters?

How do you mark your place when you stop? Bookmark, dog-ear the page, or some other way?

How many times have you said, "I'm almost done with this chapter?" Or "Let me finish this chapter?"

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 687 comments I aleays try to reach the end of a chapter, but because I tend to read at night I will leave it if I feel my eyes closing. I do check to see if I'm near the end of the chapter though, if I'm close I try to persevere.

AND I always use a bookmark!

message 3: by Joanne (last edited Sep 15, 2019 08:01AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7453 comments I like to reach the end of a chapter, but sometimes that's not possible because of the way the book is laid out. My current Egypt book is like this. The book is divided into 3 parts, with no chapter breaks. So I am just trying to find a good breaking point each night.

If it is a chapter book, I always count the pages left in a chapter to see if I have the time and or energy(ie: not falling asleep") to finish it.

I treat books with extremely long chapters the same way I stop in non-chapter books.

Almost always use a bookmark. My library supplies them at the circulation desk and you are free to take as many as you want. I always have a good supply on hand. I abhor "dog-eared" pages-why, oh why would someone do that?

Many, many times, I refuse to put a book down until I have completed a chapter. My family has learned that dinner will be ready when it is ready....

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I read to the end of a chapter if I can! Or, if I can't, to some other kind of break. There are times, however, where I have to put the book down immediately!

I have a couple of bookmarks and use them if I am reading more than one print book at a time. Otherwise, I just remember what page I am on.

message 5: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments I used to try to reach to the end of a chapter. Unfortunately, it's not possible when I'm reading on public transit, as I have to stop and get off at my stop!

End of a chapter is ideal, but when I can't (which is most of the time), I just try to find a break in the text (and additional line space), but often, I just have to end at the end of a paragraph.

With a print book, I use a bookmark.

message 6: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3417 comments I try to get to the end of a chapter, and actually find myself liking books more when they have easy stopping points. Since I read mostly e-books, marking my place is easy as tapping the upper corner to add a bookmark and highlighting the word where I should begin next time I pick it up. When reading hard copies I always used either a bookmark (my preference but they seem to regularly disappear on their own!) or whatever piece of cardboard or paper happens to be handy.

message 7: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5757 comments Do you try to stop at the end of a chapter?

I try to stop at the end of the chapter, but it is not always possible. I pretty much read everything on a kindle, so don't need bookmarks, but always bookmark dtb. When I read I usually have the setting on how long to finish chapter, so I can read to the next chapter before stopping.

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4965 comments Even for dead tree books I just stop wherever, and don't need a bookmark. On an ebook of course it's easier as it keeps track for you, but ever since my teens I've never really needed a bookmark, I always vaguely remember whereabouts I stopped. Sometimes I have to read a bit to orient myself but it doesn't take long for me to recognize what I've already read and what I haven't.

Though in my present advanced age I suppose if I started a book years ago and only now picked it up again I would just start over.

message 9: by Karin (last edited Sep 15, 2019 02:02PM) (new)

Karin | 6994 comments I try to finish a chapter. If not, I look for a visual gap or * * * in the chapter.

Now I always use a bookmark, but I grew up in a family that dog-eared the pages, so I grew up doing that. I have been using bookmarks (not real ones, but anything handy that works) for years, though.

I really understood how bad dog-earing pages is when I took out a very old book and most of the pages that had been dog-eared over the years were losing those top corners. They would fall off while I was reading them. BUT, this lesson came long after I'd started using bookmarks.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6644 comments For print books I use bookmarks. In fact I sort of collect bookmarks...fancy and give away ones. I become ridiculously attached to giveaway bookmarks from stores that are no more: Borders World Trade Center which has WTC image on it, Murder Ink which os shaped like a black revolver.

In fact, when I loan a book, it generally has a bookmark in it...just to encourage use of one. And there are lots of books around my house with stray bookmarks in them. Ebooks are easy...they open where you left off.

In general I try to stop either at end of a chapter or a clear breaking point. Not always easy to do since I read while commuting or waiting for friends.

I absolutely look to see how much is left in a chapter before stopping reading at night. If only a few pages left, I absolutely try to finish. And if only a couple chapters left to book, I really try to finish them, which has led to some crazy late nights reading.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8514 comments Friends, don't hate me, but I dog ear! This makes everybody cringe, but I actually think its an imitate and loving relationship with a book. Like a well loved teddy bear. Its such a different kind of a place holder than a bookmark. Its truly loving a book whole, to truly mark where the story is held.

I really work hard not to peek at the end, but I am always looking at the final page count. Because (like Karin), I like to know what percentage I am at. Where I am at in the story. I like to hit chapters end, I feel incomplete if I don't. But often my life doesn't work that way. I will fall asleep, or have a patient come in, or lose the moment. Its always my intention to hit a break or chapter break. But sometimes, often, it just doesn't happen.

message 12: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Karin wrote: "I grew up in a family that dog-eared the pages, so I grew up doing that. ... I really understood how bad dog-earing pages is when I took out a very old book and most of the pages that had been dog-eared over the years were losing those top corners. ..."

I used to. I don't do it anymore, but it doesn't really bother me all that much to see or hear about other people doing it.

It was only at work last week that one of the other librarians mentioned to me that for older books, those corners eventually fall off - I hadn't even thought of that!

message 13: by LibraryCin (last edited Sep 15, 2019 08:32PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Theresa wrote: "For print books I use bookmarks. In fact I sort of collect bookmarks...fancy and give away ones. I become ridiculously attached to giveaway bookmarks from stores that are no more: Borders World Trade Center which has WTC image on it, Murder Ink which os shaped like a black revolver...."

I have sooo many bookmarks! I never even really intended on collecting them and had so many. At one point in my travels, though, I thought a bookmark would make a nice (and useful and inexpensive) souvenir, but they aren't always easy to find (as a souvenir for a specific place).

message 14: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3225 comments This is a timely conversation, especially regarding where you stop, because this new book Ducks, Newburyport is apparently one long run-on sentence and I have been wondering where you would stop and how you would pick back up!

I stop where-ever, at the least at a new paragraph. I always find it a happy accident when I can finish a chapter because so many books I read have too long chapters I cannot finish.

Like Theresa and LibraryCin I collect bookmarks, usually freebies from bookstores I visit, but I never dogear. I can't bring myself to do it.

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Meli, you are so right about Ducks. I’m currently reading it and find it really hard to choose a spot to put it down as there are no natural breaks. I normally try to read to the end of a chapter, or at least to a break of some kind.

I mostly read ebooks, so no bookmark is required. I dogear books that I own, and use bookmarks, receipts, business cards, etc if it’s a library book.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I have to stop on a chapter while physically reading a book, even an ebook. Its so frustrating to stop in the middle of a chapter, even a breaks in the chapter with **** or a large space. I count the pages of each chapter, always because I like a count down as I'm reading. I also always keep in mind how many pages are left in the book and keep a mental countdown. I read in sections. Like I say, I have x amount of time so my goal is x amount of pages, with a daily goal of 100 pages. Once I reach my goal, I then end on the next chapter. I love books with short chapters. 15 pages max chapter. I hate books with long chapters 20+ pages. The namesake had 20-30 page chapters and I think this helped me dislike the book also. Even The Goldfinch. A chapter is 200 pages and even though it has roman numeral breaks throughout, I hate how it defines a Chapter. Its almost like the chapters are sections and the sections are books. But I digress. I hate stopping in the middle of a chapter and everyone knows I've timed my reading session pretty good, so when I say I am almost done with a chapter, it really means a page or two at the most.

Audiobooks I stop anywhere. I am constantly pressing the stop and start button on my bluetooth headphones. I read based on % so chapters don't mean much to me in an audiobook unless I'm reading intandem with my audiobook.

I do not dog-ear pages. Sorry Amy and others, but I find it to be like nails on a chalkboard. Almost every page had a crease in the corner on the library's copy of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and it drove me insane. I also flip through the book, a page at a time, while reading and the bent corners hinders this.

I don't use bookmarks. I lose them. I love the idea, but never been a bookmark guy. I just remember where I'm at and rarely do I lose track and have to hunt for my place.

My daughter does have this really neat bookmark. It is a triangle and it fits over the corner of the page. I thought it was cool.

message 17: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3225 comments Susie wrote: "Meli, you are so right about Ducks. I’m currently reading it and find it really hard to choose a spot to put it down as there are no natural breaks. I normally try to read to the end of a chapter, ..."

Oh wow, I can't believe you are reading it! Actually, I can... but I picked it up in the bookstore the other day just to admire its physical size and it was SO HEAVY.

I am so intimidated by this book, but it has me intrigued by the challenge in the same way Black Leopard Red Wolf did. I think this will be, and it has been, adored by the critics but not as much by the general public.

People who don't need bookmarks fascinate me. I can NEVER remember where I was!

message 18: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Chapter end... Ha!
I’m happy when it’s a paragraph end. But sometime it’s just end of sentence for me.

I read when there are few moments at work, while cooking, walking the street etc. all of which force me to stop whenever.

I became pretty good at picking up from any spot.

Unlike kids and YA books, and unlike the amounts of uninterrupted time I had back then, reaching a full chapter seems unrealistic these day (usually)

I’m a bookmark person. Any receipt will do.
I dislike dogears but even more, I HATE when my husband leaves the book open upside down and ruins the spine, glue or whatnot

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin A I try to end on a chapter or at least a page that ends with a paragraph/period. I hate trying to remember where I end in the middle of a page.

I don't really count to the next chapter, but do look. I do count how many until the end of the book.

I was a bookmark of some kind whether a true bookmark or when it is a book I had on hold I will use the scrap of paper they have in it or just a random paper.

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Definitely prefer to stop at the end of a chapter, but will admit that I fall asleep pretty frequently when reading . . .so that doesn't always correspond with the end of a chapter.

I am also attempting Ducks (again, not sure it is gonna happen), and I am reading 1% per day. The lack of breaks is making me insane. Amid other issues.

message 21: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3225 comments Anita wrote: "Definitely prefer to stop at the end of a chapter, but will admit that I fall asleep pretty frequently when reading . . .so that doesn't always correspond with the end of a chapter.

I am also atte..."

You too!? Awesome... because I really want to hear more about the experience of reading Ducks and especially from members of this group.

I take it you're on a Kindle or other e-reader? Since you mentioned % progress. The physical book is an insanely heavy tome.

But, according to critics it is the next Great American Novel 😂

message 22: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2811 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Theresa wrote: "For print books I use bookmarks. In fact I sort of collect bookmarks...fancy and give away ones. I become ridiculously attached to giveaway bookmarks from stores that are no more: B..."

I used to buy bookmark souvenirs, too. ( Also refrigerator magnets, until I got stainless steel appliances) Bookmarks have become harder to find, even in bookstores with the increase of e books. Now I buy art postcards, since I'm always in art museums. Or any museum, really. Postcards make great bookmarks.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Jgrace wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "Theresa wrote: "For print books I use bookmarks. In fact I sort of collect bookmarks...fancy and give away ones. I become ridiculously attached to giveaway bookmarks from stores ..."

At one time I collected souvenir baseballs from places I'd visited. The took up a lot of room so eventually got rid of them all. I was surprised I was not the only collector of them.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8514 comments I wanted to say to the ducks people, that I personally would never be able to manage a book like that. I even had trouble with exit west. We’re full pages and full paragraphs were all one sentence. Not gonna happen for this gal!

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments Since I always have a book with me it's not always feasible to finish a chapter. But I DO try to finish a page. I use a bookmark and turn the "picture" side of it to the place I left off so I know whether I'm on page 102 or 103.

I also try to set a goal of 80 pages per day. I do this by putting a post-it note 80 pages ahead. It doesn't have anything written on it, it's just a colored bit of paper to mark my goal. When I stop for the night, I move the post-in 80 pages further along, so I have my new goal ready for tomorrow's reading adventure.

message 26: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 967 comments Dogears *shudder* I agree with Jason about the nails on chalkboard feeling.. I have a collection of bookmarks, a whole box of them to pick from, but I still end up using scraps of paper, another book, my phone, any sort of flat miscellaneous really. And bookmarks. We have small piles of books in progress lying around the house so bookmarks are handy :)

I like it best to read to a chapter, but if I am tired I'll check how many pages are left. On my commute I listen to audiobooks and I sometimes hang out by my bicycle till I reach a good place to stop (I probably look weird).

I have said 'I'll just read to the next chapter' 'I'll go to sleep soon' and versions of those countless times. Yesterday I had said I would make dinner, but my husband ended up grumbling something about 'getting dinner before bed' and did it instead because I lost track of time reading ;)

message 27: by Karin (last edited Sep 16, 2019 03:03PM) (new)

Karin | 6994 comments Amy wrote: "Friends, don't hate me, but I dog ear! This makes everybody cringe, but I actually think its an imitate and loving relationship with a book. Like a well loved teddy bear. Its such a different kind ..."

It doesn't bother me to see people do this with their own books, but I am not a fan of it when they do it with library books. Although, if I'm honest, I think it doesn't bother me with paperbacks, but a good hardcover book or a reference book--I think that actually bothers me now-silly, isn't it???

message 28: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Since I always have a book with me it's not always feasible to finish a chapter. But I DO try to finish a page. I use a bookmark and turn the "picture" side of it to the place I left off so I know ..."

Clever idea with the "picture side!"

message 29: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments OMG people can read without bookmarks with print books?! That would take me forever to find my place each time!! I'm definitely a bookmark girl. When I was little I had a bookmark collection. Still have it, but I prefer to use magnetic bookmarks now. Of course, like others I often use tissues, receipts, post its, library check out receipts, anything that may be around when finding a bookmark isn't convenient. On the e-reader I never use bookmarks. My nook saves the place, and that is good enough for me.

I also try to finish my e-book and print books by chapter. But I fall asleep reading alot. I normally go back a few pages and pick up were I recognize when that happens. All bets are off with audiobooks- I constantly and pausing/unpausing these.

Haven't read Ducks as you all are talking about, but I remember Blindness being a hard one with the run-on sentences. I ended up doing the audio, because the print was A LOT.

message 30: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments Joi wrote: "OMG people can read without bookmarks with print books?! That would take me forever to find my place each time!! I'm definitely a bookmark girl. When I was little I had a bookmark collection. Still..."

One of my daughters can remember the page number just by glancing at it, so she doesn't always use them.

message 31: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 967 comments Yeah, one of my sons never use bookmarks, he just remembers...

message 32: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3225 comments I've tried the magnet bookmarks but they won't stay on more than one page and one page they're heavy and threaten to rip.

I don't dogear, like I said, but I like a wellworn paperback. And I like to see authors completely bend their books in half when doing a reading for some reason.

message 33: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6644 comments This topic has now become so very appropriate....

I started reading Proust, The Remembrance of Things Past 1981 Edition, for a several month discussion class I'm taking. There are no chapters really. And he writes long long sentences and paragraphs. The story streams. My normal method of stopping at chapter end, plot break, etc. is just not going to work -- first 'break is page 51 where 'Ouverture' ends (after 2 days I'm on page 30 or so)-- this is what you might call book 1 or chapter 1 of volume 1. Next break -- and where I have to read to for first meet on 9/26 is page 201 - where 'Combray" or book 2 of volume 1 ends.

Today I read about 16 pages on way to work, and was reading at my desk while I ate lunch when I had to stop literally in middle of a sentence to take a call. There are not going to be any easy breaks to this.

How I cope: I treat it as I do any long involved slow reading book: I just stop when I have to -- whether because I need to get to sleep, I'm falling asleep, get a phone call, have to exit the subway or bus, etc. I will end up going back a little bit to pick up the flow, but my memory is really strong and if I'm reading it steadily, without several days between reading sections, it will not cause me to lose track of the story.

When I finish reading a print book of any kind, you can barely tell it was read, I'm that gentle on my books. There have been exceptions of course. Like now. The actual set of Proust I'm reading are used trade paper because not only can I not find my hardcover set (they are in my apartment somewhere -- I saw them last a year or so ago), but I want to be able to write in the books, fold over corners of sections, and *gasp* pull the book apart to create smaller sections to carry around - as this discussion group is staged over 9 months, with about 250 pages read a month.

And yes, I'm enjoying it and getting a lot more out of this than when I read it in college in french. In large part that's because I'm actually recognizing a lot more of the allusions, the society being described, etc.

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6644 comments Karin wrote: "Joi wrote: "OMG people can read without bookmarks with print books?! That would take me forever to find my place each time!! I'm definitely a bookmark girl. When I was little I had a bookmark colle..."

A friend of mine can just remember where she left off by page number. Not me. She's a bookkeeper, math was her favorite subject, and she swears the reason she remembers is because she is a numbers person.

I need bookmarks.

message 35: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6644 comments Amy wrote: "I wanted to say to the ducks people, that I personally would never be able to manage a book like that. I even had trouble with exit west. We’re full pages and full paragraphs were all one sentence...."

Now I thought Exit West had very natural stopping points...and whether it was a chapter or not was irrelevant.

message 36: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Idit wrote: "Chapter end... Ha!
I’m happy when it’s a paragraph end. But sometime it’s just end of sentence for me.

I read when there are few moments at work, while cooking, walking the street etc. all of which force me to stop whenever. ..."

LOL! Yes, this is like reading on public transit. When you need to get off the bus or train, you have to get off!

Actually, I do at least finish a paragraph. I do keep a close enough eye on where I am that I'll finish a paragraph. I have an additional walk after I get off, so I tend to switch to my audio at that point.

message 37: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Jgrace wrote: "I used to buy bookmark souvenirs, too. ( Also refrigerator magnets, until I got stainless steel appliances) Bookmarks have become harder to find, even in bookstores with the increase of e books. Now I buy art postcards, since I'm always in art museums. Or any museum, really. Postcards make great bookmarks. ..."

I bought lots of souvenir magnets before I saw a beautiful bookmark, and tried for that instead. My fridge has way too many souvenir magnets!

I never thought of that with the bookmarks. That makes sense, but is sad when one is looking for a nice souvenir that can be useful!

Postcards are a nice idea instead. If I ever think I can afford to travel again, maybe that's what I'll do (unless I can find an actual bookmark!)

message 38: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Jason wrote: "At one time I collected souvenir baseballs from places I'd visited. The took up a lot of room so eventually got rid of them all. I was surprised I was not the only collector of them. ..."

Oh, that's cool! I bet my brother would like that. But, yes, I can see that they would take up a lot of space, especially if you travel a lot!

message 39: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments I'm a bookmark person - I like my books to stay looking brand new - but my husband leaves his book face-down open at his place (I don't like it when he borrows my books & I also complain when he does it to library books...)

Recently I've realised that I have a real problem finding a place to stop in the all-too-common dual timeline books with alternating chapters - I tell myself I'll read "just one more chapter" but somehow I then convince myself that it would be tidier to have just one of the other voice too, then I go on flip-flopping indefinitely until I realise I should have been asleep hours ago...

message 40: by Johanne (last edited Sep 17, 2019 09:50AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 967 comments Nikki wrote: "...Recently I've realised that I have a real problem finding a place to stop in the all-too-common dual timeline books with alternating chapters - I tell myself I'll read "just one more chapter" but somehow I then convince myself that it would be tidier to have just one of the other voice too, then I go on flip-flopping indefinitely until I realise I should have been asleep hours ago... ..."

I have a version of this problem, where I want to know what happens to one of the voices, then I flip to the next of their chapters and end up skim-reading half a book and feel I have to go back and read it properly afterwards…

message 41: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Johanne wrote: "Nikki wrote: "...Recently I've realised that I have a real problem finding a place to stop in the all-too-common dual timeline books with alternating chapters - I tell myself I'll read "just one mo..."

Yes! I've caught myself doing that recently too...

message 42: by Karin (last edited Sep 17, 2019 01:25PM) (new)

Karin | 6994 comments Theresa wrote: "This topic has now become so very appropriate....

I started reading Proust, The Remembrance of Things Past 1981 Edition, for a several month discussion class I'm taking. There are no chapters real..."

There are no chapters in Terry Pratchett books, or at least not Diskworld, so I have too look for spaces or * * *. At least they come more often than in Proust! I haven't read Proust, but am quite sure I've read old classics with no chapters in them before.

message 43: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments Johanne wrote: "Nikki wrote: "...Recently I've realised that I have a real problem finding a place to stop in the all-too-common dual timeline books with alternating chapters - I tell myself I'll read "just one mo..."

I did this with the third book in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books. I actually went ahead and read all of her story before going back and filling in with the others. I don't do that often now, but will once in a great while if I want to know what happens next because it's making it hard for me to concentrate on the next voice.

message 44: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments Theresa wrote: "This topic has now become so very appropriate....

I started reading Proust, The Remembrance of Things Past 1981 Edition, for a several month discussion class I'm taking. There are no chapters real..."

I used the post-it note (the small little pale yellow ones) to mark the end of the sentence (or phrase) where I left off when I was reading Jose Saramago's books. A sentence can last a page / a paragraph several pages. Sounds like this might work for you as well.

message 45: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Theresa wrote: "This topic has now become so very appropriate....

I started reading Proust, The Remembrance of Things Past 1981 Edition, for a several month discussion class I'm taking. There are ..."

Clever!

message 46: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments I try to get to ends of chapters but that can be a dangerous tactic - I definitely get into ‘just one more chapter’ mode! And then suddenly it is one in the morning and I have to force myself to stop. Or not. And then I spend the next day wondering why I’m so damn tired ...

I generally remember where I get to, but it depends on the flow of the story and why I got interrupted. I’ve never dog-eared because I love my books to stay fresh. I have absolutely no problem with people dog-earing their own books - no hate coming from here, lovely Amy! - but I think it’s rude to do it with library books or other borrowed books.

I love using proper bookmarks and I love to make them too - a cheerful small thing to stitch. I just rarely have one to hand when I need it so I end up slinging in anything that’s flat. One of my favourites is one I was sent when we did a PBT bookmark exchange a couple of years back - that was a super-fun thing to do!

message 47: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7453 comments Kate saidPBT bookmark exchange a couple of years back - that was a super-fun thing to do!

Fun insert to add when we do the Book Exchange!

message 48: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Book Concierge wrote: "when I was reading Jose Saramago's books. A sentence can last a page / a paragraph several pages...."

omg, that would drive me insane! I would start skimming, then I'd be bored and not like it.

message 49: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3225 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I used the post-it note (the small little pale yellow ones) to mark the end of the sentence (or phrase) where I left off when I was reading Jose Saramago's books. A sentence can last a page / a paragraph several pages. Sounds like this might work for you as well."

SMART! I think I will try this if I read a difficult book like that.

message 50: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments KateNZ wrote: "I try to get to ends of chapters but that can be a dangerous tactic - I definitely get into ‘just one more chapter’ mode! And then suddenly it is one in the morning and I have to force myself to st..."

So true. Or, you can get so caught up in a book that you don't even notice you have started another chapter. That's happened to me and I doubt I am so unique that I'm the only one!