What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
This topic is about Once and Always
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical romance, only remember random detail about a wolf-like dog. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon | 41 comments I'm trying to find a historical romance. I don't remember how hero and heroine meet or how they end up getting married. The one detail I do recall for sure is something that happens when the hero and heroine are at his country estate (I think it might be the heroine's first time there). She's taking a walk outside and she sees this scary looking, almost wolf-like dog. She runs inside screaming and sees the servants. They, without actually seeing the creature, tell her it's the hero's dog. She feels stupid but eventually ends up liking/training the wolf-dog but I don't think anyone ever sees them together until later in the book. Wolf-dog ends up being super loyal to her I think.

Hero ends up seeing the dog behind her one day while they're arguing or something, he gets freaked out, and tells her to run inside. She's completely confused and doesn't understand why he's acting like this towards his own dog and tries to protect the wolf-dog. Turns out hero's actual dog is something harmless looking (maybe like a corgi).

Some other things that might or might not have happened in the book, not comptletely sure:
1. heroine almost drowns in a lake at the country estate and hero has to save her
2. townspeople (especially vicar) and/or servants disapprove of heroine
3. hero gets involved in developing some sort of business/factory in the town (maybe mining or some sort of metalworking?)

message 2: by Rosalyn (last edited Sep 13, 2019 09:37AM) (new)

Rosalyn | 41 comments Once and Always has a dog (part-wolf I think) named Wolf. And I think it also has the drowning scene. Not sure about the rest

message 3: by JennyG (last edited Sep 13, 2019 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JennyG | 538 comments I agree with Rosalyn. The wolf/dog scene happens in Once and Always. The heroine is presumed dead in a drowning accident and the hero is devastated. No saving of the heroine.

The rest doesn't fit this book. Maybe you are mixing up books?

message 4: by Ann (last edited Sep 13, 2019 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann | 530 comments I also agree that it's Once and Always.

Victoria thought the animal was a wolf, ran inside the house, and the servants told her that it must be Jason's dog. She worked to win the animal over, eventually finding out that Jason's dog was actually a collie when Jason tried to save her from Wolf.

In regards to the other scenes:
1. Victoria jumped into the water to save a child's toy from being carried away. Jason thought she was drowning and rushed to try to save her.

(view spoiler)

2. Most people loved her. Two exceptions: First, the mother of Andrew, Victoria's childhood sweetheart, because she didn't want Andrew to marry Victoria. Second, Jason's friend Mike disapproved of her at first because he thought she might be just like Jason's first wife.

3. Jason built a hospital named after Victoria's father.

message 5: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon | 41 comments Thanks everyone! I checked the google books preview and confirmed. Once and always is the book I'm looking for with the wolf-dog and drowning.

Guess I'll make a new post for the mining/metalworking book