Amazon exiles discussion

Voting threads > Favourite Artists Track 428 - Chris de Burgh - nominated by Sera69, Voting

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments This could be, uhm, interesting. Sera 69's latest fave, sort of Irish kind of pop star, Chris de Burgh up next.

According to Wiki, de Burgh's most famous song ' has been repeatedly voted one of the public's most disliked songs', but don't let that put you off.

Usual rules, noms in by 10 pm Sunday and provide a link to your song, then come back after Sunday night to cast your votes.

Gazillions of tracks to choose from so let's find some good ones.

Happy hunting folks, have a great weekend. I have taken Sunday off work to use up holiday balance, and on Saturday night it's into town to see Dublin band Sacriligia and the first outing for new Cork band Gaelach.

message 2: by Gordon (new)

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8302 comments After Gordon

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DnaUvPo...

message 4: by Collette (last edited Sep 13, 2019 09:59AM) (new)

Collette | 4163 comments After Tim

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train
Missing You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az3Fs...

message 5: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments Nope, sorry.

message 6: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6299 comments eftercollette,

here's one that's a rancid dollop of infected shight!

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train
Missing You
A Spaceman Came (in his suit) Travelling

https://youtu.be/GmZg7tvGN9o

message 7: by Sera69 (last edited Sep 13, 2019 01:08AM) (new)

Sera69 | 1562 comments After Tech

Yes, that song and most everything after is rancid puke and as a person he's... marmite, but up to then he was a very serviceable rock balladeer and there's always been one or two tracks every album since then that echo that. I still say the mailgn he gets is misplaced.

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train
Missing You
A Spaceman Came Travelling
Keeper of the Keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LetvS...

message 8: by Brass Neck (last edited Sep 13, 2019 01:59AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments "the mailgn he gets is misplaced." - like the letters in malign?

message 9: by Sera69 (new)

Sera69 | 1562 comments All the right letters not necessarily...

message 10: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6299 comments he deserves a right good mailgning!

message 11: by theDuke (last edited Sep 13, 2019 06:18PM) (new)

theDuke | 5576 comments oh 'eck...it's him!

I'll take Sera's advice and see what i find..before...he wrote that song...

message 12: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13419 comments After Sera

I've never explored Chris de Burgh's work but I'm happy to nominate and vote on a variety of artists. We could do a lot worse than him!

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train
Missing You
Keeper of the Keys
Sailing Away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGcc5...

message 13: by theDuke (last edited Sep 14, 2019 03:47PM) (new)

theDuke | 5576 comments Couldn't find anything that took my fancy, from his earlier albums, so I've plumped for this one, from 2012's 'Home'. Tis about the liveliest song i can find..such as it is!

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train
Missing You
Keeper of the Keys
Sailing Away
Waiting for the Hurricane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAHyg...

message 14: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6299 comments sera, i admire your resolution, but you're dressing a turd in a tuxedo! :)

"a very serviceable rock balladeer" ain't gonny sell it to me - like saying ub4o are a crucial conscious roots band!

message 15: by Jemma (new)

Jemma | 775 comments After Duke

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train
Missing You
Keeper of the Keys
Sailing Away
Ship to Shore

https://youtu.be/jTaAqHu2xOo

message 16: by Spacepig (last edited Sep 16, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments Eight noms this week then for Chris de Burgh giving us the three point scoring system once more.

As ever, voting closes 10 pm Thursday, no late votes counted.

This week's playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

And the noms:

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train
Missing You
Keeper of the Keys
Sailing Away
Ship to Shore

Have a good un :-)

message 17: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5576 comments Your link isn't working Spacepig.

message 18: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13419 comments Yup, I can't access the playlist either - "Invalid Parameters" it says.

message 19: by Sera69 (new)

Sera69 | 1562 comments Thanks to every one that nominated. He isn't a favourite artist but i don't think there is anything here that's particularly risible. Yeah, i don't know how to get my cred back after this....

3 - Waiting For The Hurricane
2 - Spanish Train
1 - Ship To Shore

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train - 2
Missing You
Keeper of the Keys
Sailing Away
Waiting for the Hurricane - 3
Ship to Shore - 1

message 20: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6299 comments yeah, your street cred currently resides enclosed in a scrunched up kitkat wrapper in a corner of a rusty lunchbox located at the bottom of a disused mineshaft in cumnock. long way back up, sera!

message 21: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments I have no idea what is going on with that link. If I copy it from youtube then paste in a new tab, it works fine. But when I paste it in this post, it doesn't. I need time to think this one through.

message 22: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments Can someone try now please, I think it might be fixed.

message 23: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13419 comments Working for me now. Thanks Spacepig.

message 24: by Sera69 (last edited Sep 16, 2019 07:09AM) (new)

Sera69 | 1562 comments Tech XXIII wrote: "yeah, your street cred currently resides enclosed in a scrunched up kitkat wrapper in a corner of a rusty lunchbox located at the bottom of a disused mineshaft in cumnock. long way back up, sera!"

Don't worry Tech, my next nom will make a believer out of you...

message 25: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 4776 comments After Sera

Sailing Away 2
Waiting for the Hurricane 1

Don't Pay The Ferryman
Spanish Train - 2
Missing You
Keeper of the Keys
Sailing Away - 2
Waiting for the Hurricane - 4
Ship to Shore - 1

message 26: by Jemma (new)

Jemma | 775 comments After Sussex

Ferryman - 3
Missing - 2
Keeper - 1

Don't Pay The Ferryman - 3
Spanish Train - 2
Missing You - 2
Keeper of the Keys - 1
Sailing Away - 2
Ship to Shore - 1

message 27: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6299 comments efterjemma,

sera - that was utter jobby!

1 - sailing

Spanish Train - 2
Missing You - 2
Keeper of the Keys - 1
Sailing Away - 3
Ship to Shore - 1

message 28: by Sera69 (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:21AM) (new)

Sera69 | 1562 comments Tech XXIII wrote: "efterjemma,

sera - that was utter jobby!

..."

I take that as a compliment coming frae the expert o' tha cludgie. ;)

message 29: by theDuke (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:39AM) (new)

theDuke | 5576 comments Mmmm..yeah....okayish. Remove the vomit inducing Lady in Red out of the equation, and he's.....well..he's passable. Some of his work, does come across as a bit cheesy to my ears...but then i'm not one into this kind of music, especially artists who focus too much on love and heartbreak stuff....does nothing for me. The entire body of Phil Collins' solo work, is particularly notable for that. Give me Genesis any day! That said, there are far plenty worse musicians out there, that i would despise more than de Burgh's style of music, so passes the grade..just.

But LiR..deserves to be erased from the entire human consciousness, for all eternity!

Anyhoo...here's me votes:

After Tech..23..24..25..26..27..28..29...BOOM! :)

Spanish Train - 3
A Spaceman Came Travelling -2
Keeper of the Keys - 1

Spanish Train - 5
Missing You - 2
A Spaceman Came Travelling - 2
Keeper of the Keys - 2
Sailing Away - 3
Ship to Shore - 1

message 30: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4163 comments It would be kinda nice for once if folks could vote on these threads without having this constant need to give their opinion(s) on how rubbish they think the artist in question is. It got boring a long time ago. ☹️

After Duke

Ship To Shore - 3
Don't Pay The Ferryman - 2
A Spaceman Came Travelling - 1

Don't Pay The Ferryman - 5
Spanish Train - 5
Missing You - 2
A Spaceman Came Travelling - 3
Keeper of the Keys - 2
Sailing Away - 3
Ship to Shore - 4

message 31: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2930 comments After Collette

Spanish Train - 2
A Spaceman Came Travelling - 1

Don't Pay The Ferryman - 5
Spanish Train - 7
Missing You - 2
A Spaceman Came Travelling - 4
Keeper of the Keys - 2
Sailing Away - 3
Ship to Shore - 4

message 32: by theDuke (last edited Sep 18, 2019 11:17PM) (new)

theDuke | 5576 comments But Tech's opinions....on just about everything..is allowed, Collette??!! :)

And i presume, by deducing your comments..that positive praise of an artist's work, is also allowable? If so, i would deem that to be somewhat one sided, wouldn't it?!

I thought that experiencing music from artists, that we're not familiar with.and commenting on them was/is part and parcel of these music threads, no?

I was trying to offer a balanced view of de Burgh's music...based on the fact that before this round began, i only knew him for that one song....and now having heard a few others, i've decided that he's not as bad a musician i'd previously credited him for, even if the music he typically produces isn't to my liking. In essence..he passes the grade..just! There are other artists out there..i would be far more scathing in my views than the likes of the de Burghs of this world!

But if folks wish to keep personal views out of FA..then fair enough....i'll shall refrain from doing so. I've no wish to rock the boat! :)

message 33: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13419 comments After Gordon

Back in the day we used to be free to say what we liked on the nominations thread but were asked to refrain from commenting when voting.

Waiting for the Hurricane - 3
Don't Pay the Ferryman - 2
Spanish Train - 1

Don't Pay The Ferryman - 7
Spanish Train - 8
Missing You - 2
A Spaceman Came Travelling - 4
Keeper of the Keys - 2
Sailing Away - 3
Waiting for the Hurricane - 7
Ship to Shore - 4

message 34: by theDuke (last edited Sep 19, 2019 12:53AM) (new)

theDuke | 5576 comments Aye, i do recall that Val....but have we not done away with that rule, since moving to goodreads? The Theme threads aren't restrained in that manner...folks can comment whenever they like, as far as i'm concerned.

message 35: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4163 comments theDuke wrote: "But Tech's opinions....on just about everything..is allowed, Collette??!! :)

And i presume, by deducing your comments..that positive praise of an artist's work, is also allowable? If so, i would d..."

Talk about pompous. Not everyone thinks that Techy's constant complaining on every single nomming and voting thread is amusing, Duke. I'll also give you another example. Cast your eyes back to the Michael Bolton thread. Do you honestly think that the behaviour on it was ok? Innocent comments and snidely insults are two totally different things. It actually puts me off of wanting to participate on these threads.

Too early in the morning for an argument, but since 'folks can comment whenever they like', there you go.

message 36: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6299 comments oh well, so much for attempting to add a little bite and sparking conversation to what is a clearly dying forum! it is important to me that i not be boring, but hey ho!

for future rounds, just assume i don't like the artists, have nothing to say about them, and have awarded no points. that'll save everyone being subject to my clearly monotonous ramblings.

message 37: by theDuke (last edited Sep 19, 2019 01:26AM) (new)

theDuke | 5576 comments Fair enough Collette. The MB round was a particularly biased round, i'll agree. But I have always tried to find something to nom, even if the artist isn't to my liking..even vote on them, where possible...even if it's just to vote on those songs i that i least dislike.

Perhaps then, we should just not partake on those rounds that don't meet our liking, and leave it at that.

message 38: by Collette (last edited Sep 19, 2019 01:25AM) (new)

Collette | 4163 comments I wasn't trying to start an argument with what I said last night/this morning, guys. Just trying to put a point across. I have no interest whatsoever in most of the artists on the faves threads, but the person who nommed them obviously does. And I was always brought up on "If you don't have anything nice to say..." I just don't think it's very nice to slag off someone else's taste, as I'm not that fond of it being done to me. Add to that calling everything "shight" isn't sparking conversation IMO. But that's all it is, an opinion...

message 39: by theDuke (last edited Sep 19, 2019 01:53AM) (new)

theDuke | 5576 comments I have no issues with your comments Collette, you make a valid point. Speaking for myself...i don't think i've posted any harsh criticisms of any anybody's musical tastes in the past per say (aside from a little sparring with Techy here and then!). But i've never been shy of expressing my views on the artist's music itself. As i had said..i thought that was part of the purpose of doing these threads. Granted, some artists will and do evoke more negative comments than others, and perhaps we don't think about the effect it has on the person that nominated it enough, so i get your point there.

However...when there is an artist i'm not keen on..but i still wish to partake...i do usually mention that that artist isn't my cup of tea....after all..we can't like everybody!

It's guess it's different with me.....i really don't care if others don't like my taste of music & my nomination choices, given the niche stuff i plump for! So i am always pleasantly surprised when one of my noms does well. But I'm thick skinned i 'spose..but perhaps all of us should try remind ourselves that others are less so.

I shall tone down my comments in future. I have no desire to drive participants away from either of the music threads..there's few of us partaking, as it is!

Sorry Collette.

message 40: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments Handbags alert! Feathers mutually ruffled. If we're all permanently deferential and overly considerate of everyone else it might be some folks' idea of heaven but it'd be a fun-free one IMO.

Pithy or negative commentary is no more OK from one poster than another but is an expected and usually tolerated part of some regulars' on-line persona and is done, I'm sure, not to hurt but to amuse, even if the appreciation is only their own. I'm not aware of any directly personal comments intentionally made with the aim of bullying or doing down others in this community - unless one knows already they have the skin of a rhino, encased in titanium armour, sitting in a nuclear bunker (that'd be you Tech).

The espousal of umbrage rarely leads to anything but extended defensive argy-bargy and rankling with inevitable offers/threats to take one's ball home which is a bit unnecessary. This is a relatively sensitive corner of the cesspool that is the internet but it is open to all shades of opinion and it's differences of opinion that spark debate and humour and long may they continue within the reasonable bounds of mutual respect.

message 41: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4163 comments I prefer a clutch bag myself, Brass! And balls aren't my thing either. And as I said earlier, all I was doing (or trying to) was putting my point across.

message 42: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments Yer c'n keep yer ball bag clutch away from me, hen!

message 43: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4163 comments You don't want it around your bonce then, Mr B? Aww! 😬

message 44: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8302 comments after Val

A Spaceman Came Travelling - 2
Don't Pay The Ferryman - 1

Don't Pay The Ferryman - 8
Spanish Train - 8
Missing You - 2
A Spaceman Came Travelling - 6
Keeper of the Keys - 2
Sailing Away - 3
Waiting for the Hurricane - 7
Ship to Shore - 4

message 45: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments Sorry for the late finish gang, caused by me flaking out on the couch last night.

Results first of all. With two tracks leading on 8 points, and only one max pointer each, our gold this week gets split between Gordon and Tim with Don't Pay The Ferryman and Spanish Train. The Duke gets a silver all to himself with Waiting for the Hurricane, and Tech adds a bronze to his collection with A Spaceman Came Travelling.

As for the controversy in this round. Val mentioned that previously we had a rule about commenting on the artist/track until the voting was closed. I don't like rules, I don't really think we need them, but please try and at least be a little bit nice to each other and think about how others may perceive your comments.

Having said that, for me, anything that this artist done before or after 'that' song is irrelevant. With such a huge turkey in his cupboard, I find him totally unlistenable. Just my own opinion :-)

message 46: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments 'please try and at least be a little bit nice to each other and think about how others may perceive your comments' - we are, the comments are about the music. I know I like some right old shight - the missus doesn't hold back from sharing that view when she comes in to hear some Ghanaian Highlife, 70s reggae or country rock blasting out - but I'm not defined by my musical choices. If you say an artist I like is, in your opinion, a bit pony & trap I can live with that as it's just an artist I like, not the very core of my personality or being. Once you start overthinking how things you type will be perceived you end up saying nowt except bland platitudes which stimulate zip by way of riposte and discussion. A heated discussion is better than a false and airbrushed world IMO - you need a little grit in the oyster to produce pearls.

message 47: by Sera69 (new)

Sera69 | 1562 comments So glad people took the time to vote on this and that the thread didn't descend into petty squabbl.... Oh...

message 48: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1369 comments I did say 'try and at least be a little bit nice' Brassy, I didn't say go all out tripping over ourselves to keep each other sweet.

message 49: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3570 comments Well, shove it up yer fundament then! ;¬)