Serial Readers Unite! discussion

Archive > October 2019 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamie (last edited Sep 16, 2019 01:01PM) (new)

Jamie | 2865 comments Mod
description

It's the month of Halloween! So I am sure you know there will be a themed bonus twist...Mwahahaha!!!

But first the standard rules:
***Changes from previous months have been made***

This challenge is for books that a part of a series only

Pages Points:
200 or less pages earns 1 point.
201-499 pages earns you 2 pts
500+ pages earns you 3
*Re-reads only earn 1/2 points from usual. ***Must be a year since you last read it
All books are included as long as it's part of a series that you have not fully completed.
*No ibook page counts.
*All points are earned upon completion of the book. Does not matter when you started it.
*Books must be finished to earn points.
*Genre does not matter

Series points
Finished a series? Woohoo! Give yourself 10 points!
*20 points if the series has over 15 books to it.
*Novellas are at your discretion to read toward completion.

How you lose points:
If you add another series to your TBR list or shelves, or plan-to read/in progress thread (See "So many To Read" folder) you lose points. If you already have a book that is in the series read listed on Goodreads, on your actual shelves and/or on the threads you are safe. Any series you have on your shelves &/or TBR count. Even if you have yet to start the series.

-If you have more than 20 series lose 5 points
-If you have more than 50 series lose 10 points.
**If you have less than 20 you don't lose anything! You are on top of your reading!

On Hold:
If you catch up on a series and are waiting for the next book to come out CONGRATULATIONS!
Earn:
1 point if the series currently has 3 or less books available
2 points if it has between 4 or more books available.
*Only available if you read the most recent book available in your primary language this month.

**If you have books on your dnf or on hold thread but later decide to read them you are subject to the same penalty as adding a new series, (ie -10 points if you have more than 50 series on your to read section).
-Exception- if you are up to date on the series and are waiting on publication or a language translate into your native tongue than you do not have to count those toward this. You can freely move it back to your main thread after the book is released.

Each month there will be a special monthly bonus to earn extra points.

No book dumping at the last minute! Books should be posted here within 2 weeks of finishing reading them or adding them to threads! You will have 3 days after the month has ended to make sure all are posted and accounted for (good and bad).

The goal to encourage you to finish what you have before taking on new projects and work on knocking out the insane amount of series' some of us hope to undertake over time. Or use this challenge to help you keep up with all the new releases as they come out.

Basically anything you read gets you points but the focus is to read book series that you have already started, started collecting or otherwise planned/wanted to read prior to the month. New additions, purchases, added to TBR lists, or even wishlists count as a penalty. You know when you discover or buy a new series..

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Sep 27, 2019 01:57PM) (new)

description

Halloween is such a fun holiday and we want in on the fun!
Any book that is MPG tagged as Horror, Thriller/Suspense or Paranormal will get you a bonus point
MPG= main page genre (those 4-6 genres you see on a books main info page).

Stackable Bonus points:
If your book mentions Halloween, costumes, pumpkins or black cats take an extra bonus
point. (1 max point regardless of mentions).

description

***For anyone who has a personal thread for tracking their series you can add 2 free series to your TBR this month. No penalties! Thanks for being active in the group!***

Anyone brave enough to take on this challenge?

Jamie
Beth
Sans
Aly

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Rules have been edited here to make it easier to join without having to list them all on a thread. Although that will come in handy for a future challenge so we advise still creating a special shelf or thread. But we don't want to scare you off. We work off the honor system here unless you give us reason not to. :)

message 4: by Beth (last edited Oct 29, 2019 07:03PM) (new)

Beth (artemishi) | 341 comments I don't read a lot of spooky series, so my October potential reads are:
The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson The Living (Warm Bodies, #3) by Isaac Marion

Book: The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy, #3) by Katherine Arden
Page Points earned: +2 (384 pages)
Any Bonus earned? +10 (finished the series)
Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling
Page Points earned: +1.5 (734 pages, but a re-read)
Any Bonus earned? +1 (pumpkin pasties and dress robes count, right? :D )
Any penalties earned? N/A
Series Finished or Up to Date on publication? 1
# Series Books read (this month): 2
# Series finished (this month): 1
# Series added to TBR thread/shelf (this month): 0
Total Points: 14.5

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Beth wrote: "I don't read a lot of spooky series, so my October potential reads are:
The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness [bookcover:Harry Potter and the Goblet o..."

Looks like a few of those still count. It was why we wanted to add just suspense/thriller and paranormal as well. Plus all series books still count for other points :)

message 6: by Sans (last edited Oct 05, 2019 11:37PM) (new)

Sans | 836 comments Claiming my spot!

I've learned my lesson and am not going to try to plan my reads here because feeling the shame of not getting them done isn't fun. ^^;;

Hahaaaa, I finally have some updates I can make here!

The Girl from the Other Side Siúil A Rún, Volume 4 (The Girl from the Other Side, #4) by Nagabe The Girl from the Other Side Siúil A Rún, Volume 5 (The Girl from the Other Side, #5) by Nagabe The Girl From The Other Side Siúil A Rún Vol. 6 by Nagabe The Girl From The Other Side Siúil A Rún Vol. 7 by Nagabe

And that takes care of one of my October picked for me books and I'm officially caught up on this series! Book 8 isn't out until March 2020.

Less than 200 pages each, so 4 total, plus an extra point each for being tagged as "horror", and plus 2 for catching up on a series, brings me to 10.

I'll post-as-I-read, and tie in my total points to each new post.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Sans wrote: "Claiming my spot!

I've learned my lesson and am not going to try to plan my reads here because feeling the shame of not getting them done isn't fun. ^^;;

Book:
Page Points earned:
Any Bonus earne..."

This is why I don't plan much

message 8: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Why do I have to be such a mood reader? This is why I didn't like getting books from the library so often. I have to return The Merciful Crow tomorrow and I'm only on page 72.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 1168 comments I think mood reading is why we are all here. So we are in good company. :)

message 10: by Jamie (new)

It is almost here! Anyone else jumping in? We tried to simplify the requirements and if you are confused/worried about tracking points, we can do that. You just have to share what you read, add too TBR/buy/wishlist, on hold, series finish. And get us the pages and let us know if it gets bonuses. We can figure the rest if you want. Also for the bonus you do not have to read for that. Any/All series books still get regular points.

If there is something we can do that will increase the likelyhood of your participation, let us know. We need at least a few members to join to keep this going in the future.

message 11: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments I want to participate! I plan on reading several horror/thriller books in October! I have 4 other challenges going, but I'll try to check in as much as I can

message 12: by Jamie (new)

No worries. We are fairly laid back here. :) Glad you can join.

message 13: by Jamie (last edited Oct 01, 2019 12:05AM) (new)

So this is up to each person, but it seems the reaction to posting as we go is garnering more interest so I am going to do that here. You can still claim a spot if you prefer but might be more fun just to make a quick post as you read. I can track scores if you post the relevent info I need. Like Pages pts, reread, bonus points, if it finished a series or is on hold for the next release, etc.
SO if you do add a new series, just pop in ans share what you added :)We all want to know so we can increase our own piles, right? Or just mention it when you update for what ou read, etc.

Also remember the change to adding books, you can now freely add books to your lists but keep in mind the 20 vs 50 penalty! YOu only take that now for NEW book series you buy, add to a TBR, wishlist, etc. If you owned it but not listed, you freely can. If you are unsure of how many series you have that you either are reading or want to read, or you don't want to count them up just assume the max penalty.

But I want to make this more interactive and I LOVE how the quarterly challenge is looking so I am going with that post style :)

message 14: by Aly (last edited Oct 01, 2019 01:41PM) (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Contagion (Contagion, #1) by Erin Bowman 432 pages #1 in series, reread on 10/1

message 15: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2) by Maureen Johnson 384 pages #2 in series, read 10/3. Series is now on hold because the 3rd book isn't out yet

message 16: by Jamie (last edited Oct 03, 2019 11:34AM) (new)

Points Earned:
Aly: 6 pts.

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Aly, do either count toward the bonuses?

message 18: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Jamie wrote: "Aly, do either count toward the bonuses?"

Yes! Sorry, I forgot about the bonuses. Contagion is tagged horror and The Vanishing Stair mentions Halloween.
Thank you

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Aly wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Aly, do either count toward the bonuses?"

Yes! Sorry, I forgot about the bonuses. Contagion is tagged horror and The Vanishing Stair mentions Halloween.
Thank you"

No prob. :) I will edit the above points. :)

message 20: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles
368 pages, reread #1 in series
Bonus: mentions Halloween

message 21: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1) by Shelby Mahurin
528 pages #1 in series
Bonus: MPG paranormal

message 22: by Jamie (new)

The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2) by Ashley Poston
2 pg pts
+1 bonus pt
Moving to on hold (up to date) +1

= 4 pts

My total points for Oct: 4

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Points Earned:

Aly: 12
Jamie: 4

message 24: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments Heartstopper Volume One (Heartstopper, #1) by Alice Oseman
278 pages for 2 points, bringing me to 12 including the manga listed above.

I moved several series from my on-hold to my tbr threads, but they were awaiting publication, so no points to take away. I did add 6 entirely new series for -60.

Current total is -48.

message 25: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 335 Book 1 in the series, read 10/8
Bonus: Tagged paranormal

message 26: by Jamie (last edited Oct 18, 2019 01:07AM) (new)

A World Without Princes (The School for Good and Evil, #2) by Soman Chainani
Page pts: 1.5 (reread)

However...I also added The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1) by M.W. Craven to my wishlist...

message 27: by Jamie (new)

Aly, for Take a Chance, Untamed Magic, & The Academy: did you own these or have them elsewhere listed prior to Oct 1st? Otherwise, don't forget that adding series' count as a penalty unless you have less than 20 series to read. Just let us know when you add new ones please. You can share what you added or just tell us how many (and if you take a =5 or -10 penalty...most of us take the 10 do to series we need to start lol) you added. :)

message 28: by Sans (last edited Oct 09, 2019 12:04AM) (new)

Sans | 836 comments I'm done with the final Thrawn book!

Treason (Star Wars Thrawn #3) by Timothy Zahn
Page points: 2
Bonus: n/a
Series completed points: 0 because I forgot I included this in the broader Disney canon series that encompasses all the current SW books
Subtotal: 2
Total: -46

message 29: by Aly (last edited Oct 09, 2019 09:17AM) (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Jamie wrote: "Aly, for Take a Chance, Untamed Magic, & The Academy: did you own these or have them elsewhere listed prior to Oct 1st? Otherwise, don't forget that adding series' count as a penalty unless you hav..."

Nope new series. Dang I forgot about that! Need to take the -10 penalty

message 30: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Undying (Unearthed, #2) by Amie Kaufman
Last book in the duology
308 pages Finished 10/9

message 31: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6) by Rachel Caine
Book #6 241 pages finished 10/9
Bonus: tagged paranormal

message 32: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Vanguard (Razorland, #4) by Ann Aguirre
Book #4 Finished the series!!
368 pages read 10/10
Bonus: tagged horror

message 33: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter
Book #1 Reread
398 pages Read 10/11
Bonus: tagged paranormal

message 34: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Book #2
366 pages Read 10/12
Bonus: paranormal

message 35: by Jamie (last edited Oct 12, 2019 04:41PM) (new)

Totals:
Aly -12 (added 6 books that were added #1 of series this month-if wrong, let me know)
Sans -46
Jamie -3.5 (I just bought some so I will be increasing my penalties.

We are naughty readers lol. Adding more than we read. Although Aly is also catching up nicely. She finished 2 series!! Great job!

message 36: by Sans (new)

Sans | 836 comments The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3) by Tessa Dare
Book 3 in series, now caught up until book 4 is published
384 pages
no bonus
+2 page points

total running at -44

message 37: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1) by Mira Grant
Book #1, finished 10/15
2 page points
Bonus: MPG thriller/horror

message 38: by Jamie (new)

*************ALERT ALERT ALERT***********
We are doing something new. We are cutting back the penalty for this challenge. We will take this back to the beginning of the month but we need everyone to comment with how many series they have added to there TBR/wishlist/shelves this month. ALSO DON"T FORGET TO UPDATE US WHEN YOU ADD NEW ONES PLEASE. Just leave a comment with your next book post in the future We will recalculate books once we have those counts.

New penalties for adding a new series is only 5 points (instead of 10) and if you have less than between 20-49 series you have (including those you haven't started) then in is only 3 pts. We will assume the -5 unless you specify. If you have less than 20 series on your reading/tbr/wishlist/shelves than you are penalty free and on top of your reading game!!

message 39: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Book #1 finished 10/16
2 page points

message 40: by Jamie (new)

Aly, can you head count how many new series you've added to your shelves/lists this month. YOur thread said something about 22? Is that books total or new series? Last I thought when I added was 6. IF you can keep us up on that periodically that would be great. Thanks. We hope to have newly edited scores up soon. And not so Negative!

message 41: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments If I added the first book to check out but am not sure if I want to read the series, do I have to count it still?

message 42: by Jamie (new)

Aly wrote: "If I added the first book to check out but am not sure if I want to read the series, do I have to count it still?"

Yes. Once you decide that you are interested in at least wantin to start a series in counts. If you ever DNF or remove it then it won't count toward your 50+ though. And if you change your mind before the month is over, let us know and we can remove the -pts.

message 43: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Okay. I'll go over my books tomorrow and get a better count.

message 44: by Jamie (new)

Okay :) Sorry for the change. But we hope this makes it easier in the end.

Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind) (fictionstateofmind) | 863 comments I haven’t added any new just went through my existing series lists . I’ve reread a few to rennet where I left off and then marked reread when I listed it

message 46: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Hell's Knights (The MC Sinners, #1) by Bella Jewel
Book #1 2 page points
Read 10/17

message 47: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 422 comments Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1) by Emily A. Duncan
Book #1 2 page points
Ready 10/17

message 48: by Beth (new)

Beth (artemishi) | 341 comments Yay! I haven't added any. :D
I'm not getting nearly as much reading done as I'd hoped....fingers crossed November goes better for fiction.

message 49: by Jamie (last edited Oct 18, 2019 01:12AM) (new)

Flames Like Vines (Snow Like Ashes, #2.1) by Sara Raasch
1 point
10/14

The Testing Guide (The Testing, #0.5) by Joelle Charbonneau
1 point
10/17
Finished a series! 10 pts!!

Added to TBR: The Dark Truth (Book One - The Dark Passage Series) by Jerry Knaak
minus 5 pts

message 50: by Jamie (new)

Beth wrote: "Yay! I haven't added any. :D
I'm not getting nearly as much reading done as I'd hoped....fingers crossed November goes better for fiction."

I haven't been doing great either for books I can use. Oh well. That is life. :) Read what you want, when you can. And if you don't read for awhile that is okay too.

« previous 1