English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Kristin Lavransdatter (Kristin Lavransdatter, #1-3)
This topic is about Kristin Lavransdatter
Audiobooks > Sigrid Undset - Kristin Lavransdottir

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4404 comments Mod
We have Kristin Lavransdatter Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset by Sigrid Undset Sigrid Undset published 16 May 2017. Norway.

In her great historical epic Kristin Lavransdatter, set in 14th-century Norway, Nobel laureate Sigrid Undset tells the life story of one passionate and headstrong woman. Painting a richly detailed backdrop, Undset immerses readers in the day-to-day life, social conventions and political and religious undercurrents of the period.

As a young girl, Kristin is deeply devoted to her father, a kind, courageous man. But when as a student in a convent school she meets the charming and impetuous Erlend Nikulaussøn, she defies her parents in pursuit of her own desires. Her saga continues through her marriage to Erlend, their tumultuous life together raising seven sons as Erlend seeks to strengthen his political influence, and finally their estrangement as the world around them tumbles into uncertainty.

With its captivating heroine and emotional potency, Kristin Lavransdatter is the masterwork of Norway's most beloved author — one of the 20th century's most prodigious and engaged literary minds — and a story that continues to enthrall.

message 2: by Icewineanne (new) - added it

Icewineanne | 266 comments This sounded amazing so I went to the book’s page......found out this is a very old Scandinavian classic that clocks in at 1144 pages 😱

Would love to read this but it would take me until Christmas to finish it 🧐

message 3: by Carol (last edited Sep 11, 2019 06:07PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 48 comments Icewineanne wrote: "This sounded amazing so I went to the book’s page......found out this is a very old Scandinavian classic that clocks in at 1144 pages 😱

Would love to read this but it would take me until Christmas..."

KL is comprised of three books, so if, like me, you prefer to bite off even great series 350-400 pages at a time, seek out book one, The Wreath, and continue to two and three as you’re inspired. I haven’t searched for an audio version of The Wreath but am certain it exists.

message 4: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Well this is an audiobook, whats to stop you now? You only have to listen when you have the time.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 48 comments Ken wrote: "Well this is an audiobook, whats to stop you now? You only have to listen when you have the time."

True!

message 6: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 68 comments These are wonderful books and well worth your time. Sigrid Undset was awarded the Nobel prize in literature for the Kristin Lavransdatter triology in 1928.

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hagstrom | 3 comments Not only have I read all 1100 pages, immersing myself in the 14th century life of a Norwegian woman but I have also made a special point of traveling by train to Trondheim to see the setting for part of the trilogy. I was especially interested in seeing Nidaros Cathedral which played an important role in Kristen's story. I agree, the length of the 3-book tome is daunting but Undset's storytelling is so very rewarding. I loved it.

message 8: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Well if you have any car time I would consider this audiobook.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryschumacher) | 26 comments Thank you for this audiobook section! I wanted to get some recommendations for my audiobook selections and this one sounds perfect.

English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wreath (other topics)
Kristin Lavransdatter (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sigrid Undset (other topics)