Mozzone's AP Language Readers discussion

What are you reading and why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Mozzone | 1 comments Mod
Please tell us what book you are reading and why you selected it!

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Ran | 1 comments The Psychopath Test. I chose this book because I had seen it last year and I thought it was a fictional book from the language. However, it turned out to be nonfiction and I decided to choose it as my outside read book.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Kanter | 1 comments The Psychopath Whisperer. I chose this because it looked interesting to me since it is about the mind of psychopaths which is a very undefined topic. Also from what little reading I could do while looking at it, it wasn’t a boring case study format, but rather it was a little more personal to the author with stories intertwined throughout the book

message 4: by Tony (new)

Tony Tran | 1 comments Stiff by Mary Roach (292 pages) I’m reading this because the topic of cadavers seemed strange yet very interesting. My classmates also have called the book weird and have mixed opinion of it, which makes me more intrigued about it.

message 5: by Sheeks (new)

Sheeks (mildlysomewhat) | 1 comments I’m reading The Informant because I’ve always been interested in “secret” FBI missions.

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire | 1 comments I am reading “The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog” by Bruce D. Perry and Maia Szalavitz. I was interested in this book because it has to do with psychology from the perspective of two doctors about cases that they have had. So far I both like and dont like it, but it is very interesting.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Zhang | 1 comments I’m reading The Lost Boys by Gina Perry! It looked really interesting when I picked it up during the library book talk day. The story is super captivating and I had never heard of it before. The Lost Boys: Inside Muzafer Sherif's Robbers Cave Experiment I LOVE READING 😍📚

message 8: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 1 comments I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara. I chose this book because it is not only a true crime and murder mystery book, but the author is an added element of the story because she is obsessed with studying the crime. I don’t read many crime books, so this was a new genre for me that I am interested in.

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (oliviagbedell) | 1 comments I am reading “Ted Buddy: Conversations with a Killer” because I am very interested in true crime and psychology, and was intrigued by the idea of the book being almost a spoken autobiography by Bundy about his crimes (in his own words, thus unreliable, but nonetheless fascinating).

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Liu (thatkidintheglasses) | 1 comments I'm currently reading The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong, a collection of stories of women in china that have face adversity. I found this text to be an intriguing read after spending a year out of the closet as nonbinary, as it reaches a part of my life that I have long forgotten. In addition, I wanted to read more about Chinese history, and the Chinese voice.

message 11: by Abby (new)

Abby Nestor  | 1 comments I’m reading My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey because I’m very interested in psychology and the inner-workings of the brain. I would love to study neuroscience later in life.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Luning | 1 comments I’m reading Killer of the flower moon: its a book about Native Americans and the killings of one of the groups——and how this was the FBI’s first major Murder case, how the only Native American agent went undercover to find out what was going on. I am reading this because it sounded very interesting and was a different story then you usually hear.

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily | 1 comments I am reading Hot, Flat and Crowded because I am interested in our environment and environmental science. I want to know what I can do and what the world can change to try to improve the conditions of our environment.

message 14: by Cody (new)

Cody Carnes | 1 comments I am reading Grunt by Mary Roach. I chose the book because it takes an interesting approach to war. Instead of talking about battles, it talks about the behind the scenes of training and planning of tactics, and some other topics that you wouldn’t associate with war.

message 15: by Nuha (new)

Nuha | 1 comments I’m currently reading “Vincent and Theo” by Deborah Heiligman. I chose this book because I’ve always been a HUGE Van Gogh fan! In fact, one of dreams is to visit the art museum in Amsterdam. I thought book was a perfect option for exploring the dynamic between Vincent and Theo as well as possible inspiration for Vincent’s own artwork.

message 16: by Keerthana (new)

Keerthana | 1 comments I am reading “Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking” and one of the reason why I am so intrigued by this book is because I consider myself an introvert and I am very eager to see what Susan Cain has to say about introverts and the power they possess.

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie | 1 comments I am reading The Psychopath Whisperer because I found the topic of the book very fascinating. I am interested in the psychology and true crime genres so when I heard about a book that comprehensively looks into the minds of psychopaths I was intrigued.

message 18: by Madison (new)

Madison Geibel | 1 comments I am reading The Teenage Brain by Frances E. Jensen. I chose this book because I am thinking of studying neuroscience and the brain in college and I thought this book would help me figure out if i would really be interested in these subjects.

message 19: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 1 comments I’m reading the Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Woman by Kate Moore because it is about a part of history that is largely unknown. I had never considered the social impacts discovery of new elements could have or the problems caused from lack of communication from scientists to the public.

message 20: by Nida (new)

Nida | 1 comments Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be is about the college admissions process and the stress of getting into a top university, which relates to me because I’m near the stage of applying to colleges and it helps to reduce the stress, and the admissions process in general is very interesting. Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania by Frank Bruni

message 21: by Osagie (new)

Osagie Anetor (osagieanetor) | 1 comments The Coddling of the American Mind. I chose this book because it sounded pretty interesting during our book talks, and I did my War on Our Worlds project last year on the first amendment/hate speech so I’m already familiar with the basic premise of the book.

message 22: by Ricardo (last edited Sep 24, 2019 08:12AM) (new)

Ricardo Macarron | 1 comments I am currently reading “The Teenage Brain” by Frances E. Jensen. I chose this book because I am very interested in psychology. Last year I took a psych class and enjoyed it very much. In addition, I was inspired to read this book because of the book reflections we did in the beginning of the year. It had positive reviews and I want to know “why and how” teens behave, on a neurological level.

message 23: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 1 comments I am reading “Born a Crime” by Trevor Noah because classmates told me it was interesting, and memoirs sound more interesting to me than other types of nonfiction books. So far I enjoy it and would definitely recommend it.

message 24: by Ananya (new)

Ananya | 1 comments I am reading Killing the SS by Bill O’Riley Killing the SS: The Hunt for the Worst War Criminals in History. I chose this book because I like history and historical fiction so I decided to try non-fiction on post WWII.

message 25: by Adam (new)

Adam Surovcik | 1 comments I am currently reading The Millionaire Mind by Thomas J. Stanley. This novel was recommended to me by my mother because she read it right after she graduated from college and based many of her career decisions on what she learned from reading the novel. I am also very interested in the topic of economics, as I want to pursue a Business degree in college.

message 26: by Ben (new)

Ben Schenck | 1 comments I am reading The Right Side of History by Ben Shapiro because is brings up two questions; what makes America such a great country and how we are blowing it away. This book looks at examples across the country’s entire history and provides an interesting insight on society and psychology.

message 27: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Khalil | 1 comments (Don’t) Call me crazy. I have always had a passion for mental health and educating myself. I thought it was a great book to read to learn about other people story’s and struggles.

message 28: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Alber | 1 comments I chose the book What Made Maddy Run written by Kate Fagan. I chose this book because I am also a cross country and track runner thinking about my athletic future. While Maddy and I definitely dont have the same athletic careers it would be good to take her experinces into consideration while I decide whether or not to run in college.

message 29: by Bilal (new)

Bilal Asim | 1 comments Obedience to Authority by Stanley Milgram. Once I saw this book during the Library book talk, I wondered if it talked about conforming to expectations as well. I haven’t found anything about expectations but the book is interesting so far.

message 30: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Warner | 1 comments I am reading Every Falling Star by Sungju Lee and Susan McClelland. I have always been fascinated by the restrictive life that people have to live in North Korea, and I am intrigued to learn how it is possible for someone to escape.

message 31: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1 comments I’m reading The 57 Bus because the librarian said that the author may be coming to the school, and to make the most of that opportunity I feel that I should read the book. So of all the book I was interested to read this year, The 57 Bus took priority. The 57 Bus A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives by Dashka Slater

message 32: by Amita (new)

Amita Le | 1 comments I am reading Every Falling Star by Sungju Lee and Susan McClelland. I chose this book because it was originally the book I had wanted to read as my summer reading book, but it wasn’t sold in store. As a result, I went with my second choice, Stiff. The thing that caught my attention about this book was that it was a memoir about the authors’ struggle in North Korea. I found it fascinating how, at the young age of 12, Lee was able to survive on the streets of such a repressive country.

message 33: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jcoccia21) | 1 comments I am reading The Coddling of the American Mind by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt. Over the summer I read The Teenage Brain and based on other people’s reviews and the summary of The Coddling of the American Mind, I realized they go hand in hand and will provide an extra perspective on the topic.

message 34: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Anderson | 1 comments I’m reading “Psych Experiments” because psychology very much so interests me. I am currently taking AP Psychology, and notice a lot of things between that class and AP Lang are connected, so I thought to further my connection between the two and choose a psychology book as my non-fiction reading book.

message 35: by Mallory (new)

Mallory | 1 comments I am reading This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp because the book is based on school shootings and that topic is a rising problem in our country. Reading about the traumatic emotions the kids were facing while the shooting was happening is so heart wrenching. This book also brings more awareness to the issue and i want to be more educated about it.

message 36: by Joy (new)

Joy Oh (joyoh21) | 1 comments I am reading The Subtle Art of Not Giving an F because the premise of the book interested me. Manson, the author, argues that humans will make the most of their life by choosing to care about what truly matters and what does not. The book is also very funny and is not too dense.

message 37: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Armand | 1 comments I am reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. I chose this because I am really curious about the evolution and history of humanity. I hope that this book helps explain the gap between the evolution that we learn in bio class and the more recent history we learn about in history class

message 38: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Wassel | 1 comments I am reading Clapton: The Autobiography. I chose this book because Eric Clapton is one of my favorite guitarists and helped to inspire me to start playing so I wanted to read his book to learn more about him.

message 39: by Rohit (new)

Rohit Naguluri | 1 comments I am reading "The Element," by Ken Robinson. I am reading this book because the I was intrigued about what "finding your passion" has an effect on. Additionally, I read "Creative Schools," by the same author over the summer, and really liked Robinson's straight forward writing style.

message 40: by Rishi (new)

Rishi Raman | 1 comments I am reading "The Sociopath Next Door" by Martha Stout. I chose it because I have always been interested in the crime genre and the case studies in the book are often shocking, but serve to grab your interest. Also, many of my friends are reading crime books also, so I can connect to their books easily.

message 41: by Isaac (last edited Sep 26, 2019 05:18PM) (new)

Isaac Hu | 1 comments I am reading the historical book, “The Search for Modern China,” by Jonathan D. Spence. I have chosen this book because I think there is inherent, extensive value in the historical study. As our class studies the strategy and art of rhetoric, I hope to gain a better understanding of how such rhetoric is ingrained around our conceptions of foreign history, hopefully with the intent of gaining a better comprehension of such foreign cultures.

message 42: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 1 comments Stiff by Mary Roach. I chose it out of morbid curiosity.

message 43: by Gabe (new)

Gabe | 1 comments I’m currently reading “The Jungle” by Upton Sinclair. The reason I chose to read this book is because of its historical prevalence. I’ve read about the book as it played an important role in American history, and wanted to see how the book actually was, and how impactful it really is.

message 44: by Dhruv (new)

Dhruv | 1 comments I am reading “Stiff” by Mary Roach. I chose this because i was interested by people’s book reviews. Some really liked it and others hated it. I wanted to see what my take on it would be and see if it would “challenge my religious beliefs” as someone said.

message 45: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Loose | 1 comments I am reading "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance. I chose this book because it highlights the life of struggling Americans in the Appalachian Mountain region, an area that I go to each summer for service projects. I wanted to read the book because I thought that in reading it I would gain a better perspective of the struggles that the people I go to volunteer for go through.

message 46: by Julie (new)

Julie Levine | 1 comments I am reading A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley. Initially I chose this book because my Dad recommended it to me a while ago. After looking into is, I ultimately chose this book because I have never really read a book revolving around India or about someone who was displaced from home and was orphaned. In essence, the whole subject was very new to me.

message 47: by Akul (new)

Akul | 1 comments I am reading “Homo Deus” by Yuval Noah Harari. I choose it because I am interested in what the future will hold in store for humanity and how it will be impacted by technological development, such as improvements in AI.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments I am reading Hillbilly Elegy because my sister read it and said it was such a great book that it was hard to put down. It is about a man’s childhood in poverty in Appalachia and how he rose up out of it. I would like to learn more about that culture because it doesn’t get much focus currently.

message 49: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 1 comments I’m reading My Anxious Mind: A Teen’s Guide to Managing Panic and Anxiety by Michael Thompkins and Katherine Martinez because I among some of my other friends have anxiety so I figured if one of us is informed, it can help all of us.

message 50: by Krisi (new)

Krisi Hristova | 1 comments I am reading “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” by Dale Carnegie, because my friends and I are all under a lot of stress. I also wanted to see if this book would be able to help me in school and everyday life in order to calm down and be more at peace.

« previous 1