World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Senolytics or would you stop aging?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Not everyone wants to be immortal, but I suppose many would elect to stop aging. And guess what - it might be just around the corner, estimated btw 5 to 12 years:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2...
Extending a healthspan is considered more valuable than lifespan.
So, maybe not an elixir of youth, but close enough.
With its help Putin maybe can be the president for another 50 years- a dream come true for so many Russians -:)
Anyhow - would you volunteer for clinical research, wait till the solid results or reject taking it no matter what?

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Targeting senescent cells seems sensible to me, and I'd take it after seeing solid results in humans. No more arthritis, yeah, I'd try it

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Destroying senescence cells seems sensible to me. I'd maybe volunteer for trials, definitely try it after successful trials. No more arthritis pain sounds good.

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie | 28 comments Sounds good to me too! Sign me up Nik! lol :-) Some people are living longer than they ever had before with new technology that has happened within the last 30 years so being able to live longer with less aches and pains has a great ring to it.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments It looks like youth is overrated, as only a few wish to enroll -:)

message 6: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 153 comments As I approach yet another big birthday I would certainly be interested after it has been trialled.

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I'm going to be a pessimist here and say this isn't the answer, because most people can already help themselves by changing their lifestyle. I'm not a believer in one pill fits all. Many want to take a pill for their problems instead of altering their lifestyle by healthy eating and exercise. No, it won't get rid of all your problems, but it will help.

"Ageing, as Xu notes, is the biggest risk factor for most chronic diseases;" In today's times, I'd have to say obesity is the biggest risk factor. Chronic Disease Report It's an old report, but I'd say it's still relevant.

I told you I'm going to be a Debbie Downer.

Since we're talking about aging, I came across this podcast and found it interesting so I wanted to share it. - How to Slow the Aging Process.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Healthy lifestyle surely won't hurt.
Unfortunately, nothing is foolproof. Here and there you have those odd instances of young sportsmen passing away and heavy smokers making it into 100+ club

message 9: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Well, as a teen or twenty-something, you don't get how precious life is. You take lots of risks because you don't feel your mortality. Then you get older and life is more precious to you because death isn't just an idea but a reality. Serious sh*t. If you can age and be healthy longer, why not, if there's a proven method?

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments This girl is about to celebrate 100 tomorrow and can still do splits:
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news...
Amazing

message 11: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 3078 comments Unfortunately we are seeing with COVID that much of our ageing population is ageing unhealthily i.e. modern medicine is keeping people alive but not healthy

I can't do splits now nor touch my toes but I never could. I don't want to live forever I do want to be healthy....