Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Day 3: Looking Forward to 2020

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments With just under 4 months left in 2019, it's hard to not already be looking forward to the 2020 ATY Challenge. Today we have some questions about next year's challenge.

1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?

2. Do you have any plans to personalize your challenge (eg. themes, authors, TBR)?

3. Which 2020 prompt are you most excited about?

4. Is there a prompt that you are dreading or that you think will be especially difficult?

5. What is your favorite type of prompt?

6. If you could add one prompt to the challenge, what would it be?

message 2: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1425 comments Mod
1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge? Yes! This is my favorite reading challenge and the list already has so many interesting prompts on it.

2. Do you have any plans to personalize your challenge (eg. themes, authors, TBR)? I'm toying with the idea of reading it in order again next year; I did it last year but this year I went random.

3. Which 2020 prompt are you most excited about? There's a bunch of good ones, but right now I think my fav is cover that has a geometric pattern on it.

4. Is there a prompt that you are dreading or that you think will be especially difficult? The New York Times Notable Books lists...it's just going to be annoying to look through those to find a book.

5. What is your favorite type of prompt? I love the prompts that are more creative and leave opportunities for unique interpretations. I'm not as into the list-based ones because there's no wiggle room. Either it's on the list or it's not.

6. If you could add one prompt to the challenge, what would it be? I have no idea! I was kind of hoping I wouldn't win the Summer Reading Challenge raffle because I have no idea what I would choose. Too much pressure!

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2360 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Definitely. ATY is a great group.

2. Do you have any plans to personalize your challenge (eg. themes, authors, TBR)?
No, I'm playing it more by mood this year rather than making a plan and not sticking to it.

I like " A book by the same author who wrote one of your best reads in 2019 or 2018." I have so many good authors I want to read again.

4. Is there a prompt that you are dreading or that you think will be especially difficult?
No, I have books I want to read for every prompt.

I think the prompts that are the most fun are those that you really don't know what book on your TBR is going to fit, such as the "book written in a year that is a prime number." It's fun to see what comes up. Also, the cover prompts are always fun. That said, I like a balanced list with genres, lists, themes, etc.

"A book related to Earth Day" !!!

message 4: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 440 comments 1. Yes!
2. I will be doing the whole challenge with audiobooks.
3. We Didn't Start the Fire
4. 20th book - I'm not sure how I'm going to interpret it yet.
5. Title or Cover - I like playing scavenger hunt with my TBR
6. Probably Earth day because I'm tired of voting for it every week and always seeing it lose.

message 5: by Storm (new)

Storm 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
yep!
no
lots, but what comes to mind is the four horsemen prompt
it might be hard for me to get a book by an australian author
one where I get exposed to new books (that are easy for me to find)
maybe the Roll the Genre Generator twice, pick one of those two options and read a book in that genre suggestion

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 450 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Absolutely.

I've been trying to read a book by an author from every country, so I might to all books by authors from different countries.

A book by an Australian, Canadian or New Zealander author. I'm slowly working my way through reading a book by an author from every country and still need to read a New Zealander author so this should make me finally get it done.

The classics prompt. I always struggle with classics.

I like theme prompts.

I'm not sure. I'm very indecisive.

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2627 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Yes!

50% books I own. I would like to do 100% but I know that is an unrealistic goal for me!

I am really intrigued by the binary opposites. I already have a bunch of ideas but I'm sure I will go with something completely different!

I don't like the 20th prompt because I have to search lists.

My favorite prompts are theme-related, which lend themselves to both fiction and non-fiction and can be creatively interpreted, and do not involve lists.

Once I started researching the Marine Animal prompt, I found some books that sounded so good! I figured it wouldn't go through but still love it! Yes to the whales, porpoises, sea turtles, and all the rest of the critters!

message 8: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7785 comments Mod
1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
- Yes! I just have no idea how I will tackle it yet.

- This year I read in order, which is a fun and unique challenge... and definitely appealed to my need to plan. Next year, I'm hoping to be a bit more spontaneous without just randomly assigning books to prompts. I'm thinking I'll take a page out of Jody's book and use a jar to randomly pull prompts to read from. I'll still be able to plan, but it will have a bit more spontaneity. I also really want to read all of the books I've acquired this year (that I haven't gotten to read yet because I've been focused on clearing my shelves of other books), so I'll probably use those for most of my prompts (currently at 35ish books).

- That's such a tough question! I'm looking forward to reading a book with a neurodiverse character because I have read quite a few and I'm excited to read more. I'm excited to plan for the "We Didn't Start the Fire" prompt and the binary opposites!

- I generally hate books that are set in rural areas, having grown up in that bleakness, so I'm not looking forward to that prompt. I'm also not really excited to plan for the 20th book or the survival book.

- I like pretty much everything, but lists are fun for me. I like pulling from a limited number of choices, especially if there is variety in the limitation (like the NYPL prompt).

- Definitely some diversity -- either an LGBTQIA+ prompt or a book by a POC author.

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 245 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Yes.

My goal is to fill all of the prompts with a book from my Owned TBR, which will be around 150-160 books by end of 2019.

One of the prompts I'm excited about is the binary opposites multi-prompt. I've decided to go with mortal/immortal as my pair.

I was initially dreading the leading news story prompt, but I've since found a book that is suitable that I will hopefully like.

In general, thematic prompts are my favorites, especially when they have an added creative element (such as the four horsemen or the Billy Joel song prompts) or are connect to the challenge year (ex: 2020 Olympics).

3 books linked to the saying "Beauty, Brains, Brawn"

message 10: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1862 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge? yes

2. Do you have any plans to personalize your challenge (eg. themes, authors, TBR)? I'd like to read more series.

3. Which 2020 prompt are you most excited about? A book inspired by a leading news story, though I have no idea what book I will read for it.

4. Is there a prompt that you are dreading or that you think will be especially difficult? A book from the New York Times '100 Notable Books' list for any year. I don't like have to pick a book from a list. I get really bored looking at lists.

5. What is your favorite type of prompt? I like the theme ones.

6. If you could add one prompt to the challenge, what would it be? I liked this one even though it got eliminated.: A book by an author with a colour in their name, where that colour also appears on the cover

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2726 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Yes

Nothing specific, but I would like to try to use as many of the books I already own as possible, or at least books from my (very lengthy) Goodreads TBR

Tough question. I'm excited for the neurodiverse character, and the leading news story. I'm always up for reading some new releases, so the 2020 release should be fun too.

I'm not very interested in the classic prompt, and I'm not such a fan of the binary multi-week prompt. Oh, and I also don't really like the "20th book" prompt because it seems both very narrow and too easy at the same time.

It's hard for me to narrow down. I like prompts that are broad enough that I have lots of options and freedom to choose something that I know would interest me, but not so broad that it's literally a free choice.

I would love a book about/involving social media or technology. I'm considering suggesting it, but I know that a lot of people get immediately turned off by the word "social media."

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Yes.

Not really - except I prefer to pull books from my TBR as much as possible (although somehow it never seems to drop very much, even when I'm reading from it!), and I also try to prioritise Australian authors where possible.

I think I'm most excited by "A book by the same author who wrote one of your best reads in 2019 or 2018" because I always mean to go back to certain authors to read more of their works when I love a book, but then get distracted!

I don't really like the multi-week categories. I love planning my list, but often change books mid-way, however once I've read the book I use for the first of a multi-week category, I feel like I'm locked into the book I chose for the second, even if I don't really want to read it.

I don't really have a favourite type - I like ones that involve having a bit of a search through my TBR, but isn't too complicated to search for. I don't like lists (on the whole) or categories that it's difficult to know whether a book will fit or not until you're reading it. I'm also a bit wary of categories based on covers since I normally read library books and I don't necessarily know what cover the book will have until I get it.

There's been quite a few I liked but that other people obviously didn't like as much as me! I know we had something like this in this year's challenge, but I always like "A book about books". But, despite being wary regarding covers, I also liked "A book with china or porcelain on the cover"

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1921 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Yes!

I'm considering reading in order but that's about it. I'm very much a mood reader so that will be enough of a struggle without limiting my choices.

We Didn't Start the Fire! I keep stumbling across books that will fit, so I've no idea hwo I'm narrowing it down.

I don't really know what to do about the classic one and like others have said, the 20th one is a bit hard to get my head around. Maybe I'll use the 20th book I buy in 2020 so it's at least something I want to read (though I guess that might not work in order).

Creative ones with a lot of room for interpretation but still are with the parameters of the original prompt wording. I like the idea of words with multiple meanings being the basis for prompts.

I'd probably go for Earth Day.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Yes. 2018 was my first attempt, and I did okay. This year I'm almost certain I'll complete it. And next year's prompts are pretty interesting.

Last year I tried to do an "only books I already own" challenge, which I'd like to try again.

I like the Author Who Wrote One of Your Best Reads of 2018/2019 because I found several great new (or new-to-me) authors this year and I'd love to read more from them

The binary opposites prompt is messing with me. There are so many ways to approach it that I can't seem to narrow down my search for books to fit.

I love genre-based prompts and prompts that are narrow without being limiting (like the geometric pattern on the cover)

Maybe something like read a "classic" in an alternate format. A children's version, a graphic novel version, a retelling or re-imagining, a full-cast audiobook.

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 801 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Yes!
I might try mood reading or randomly choosing my next prompt (maybe by using Jody's jar or similar method) as I have tried going in every year and haven't finished yet.
I really loved the We Didn't Start the Fire prompt, as there are so many options to cboose from.
I think the rural setting may be difficumt
I like prompts that have lots of options without being too broad.
I would add "read a western or s book about the American West". I feel like western get no love and having the American West would open it up more.

message 16: by viemag (new)

viemag | 161 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge? Yes, I am. I have enjoyed this activity a lot.

2. Do you have any plans to personalize your challenge (eg. themes, authors, TBR)? No, I just like to choose books that I want to read and see if they fit a prompt after I am finished with it.

3. Which 2020 prompt are you most excited about? All the prompts aren't in yet, but right now I am excited about reading a book with an emotion in the title.

4. Is there a prompt that you are dreading or that you think will be especially difficult? I am not looking forward to the prompt related to Leap Year, that can be read in a day.

5. What is your favorite type of prompt? I like prompts about the cover of the book.

6. If you could add one prompt to the challenge, what would it be? I would like to suggest a book that was recommended to you by a relative.

message 17: by Traci (last edited Sep 11, 2019 08:57PM) (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 1019 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge?
Yes!

I'm going to try to read 52 books from 52 different countries and not allow the US or UK (unless required by a prompt). I've read in order the last 2 years, but with this added bit, will not be doing that next year.

I really like the we didn't start the fire prompt, it's so interesting and I think there will be a lot of good choices.

The 20th book. I do have a couple of options listed, but with the non overlapping countries, a lot of lists I've found don't work.

I don't like prompts where you have to read the book to figure out if it fits, most of the others I like. I guess favorite might be cover/title, though depends on what it is.

Hmm, probably either something with an author of color or short stories/essays/poetry.

message 18: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1633 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge? Yes I think so but I have not been as active as previous years

2. Do you have any plans to personalize your challenge (eg. themes, authors, TBR)? No I'm a mood reader

3. Which 2020 prompt are you most excited about? I don't know - probably either the binary one or the start the fire one

4. Is there a prompt that you are dreading or that you think will be especially difficult? I'm dreading a mystery - it's one of my least favorite but I can probably pick something I'll like. I think of traditional mystery but there are plenty of other books that work for it.

5. What is your favorite type of prompt? Title prompts

6. If you could add one prompt to the challenge, what would it be? A book starting with the girl, the boy, the woman, or the man

message 19: by Edie (new)

Edie | 883 comments 1. Are you planning to participate in the 2020 reading challenge? Yes

2. Do you have any plans to personalize your challenge (eg. themes, authors, TBR)? No

3. Which 2020 prompt are you most excited about?The "we didn't start the fire" prompt will be interesting to fill

4. Is there a prompt that you are dreading or that you think will be especially difficult? I'm not a big reader of series, so I'm not looking forward to having to start a series.

5. What is your favorite type of prompt? List prompts

6. If you could add one prompt to the challenge, what would it be? A book about books. I realize this has been done a lot, but reading about libraries or bookstores is my comfort reading and I like having a prompt where I can stick one of those reads.