What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Flight One
This topic is about Flight One
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Late 70s or early 80s disaster novel, Supersonic plane called 'Screaming Aardvark'. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Norm017 (new)

Norm017 | 152 comments This is something I read in the 1990s, but it was definitely from one of the two previous decades. The plotline involved the first flight of an American supersonic passenger plane dubbed in the press the 'Screaming Aardvark'.

If I remember it correctly the first chapter described a disastrous situation and then the next chapter flashed back to the start of the events that led up to it. The penultimate chapter repeated the opening chapter and the last chapter resolved the situation.

The epilogue was written as the transcript of a trial of someone who had made a bomb threat against the plane. When the accused is asked if the threat was a political gesture the accused responds that they simply didn't want to miss the flight and that the bomb threat 'seemed like a good idea at the time'...

message 2: by Nóinín (new)

Nóinín (fagurfifill) | 156 comments Flight One, maybe?

message 3: by Norm017 (new)

Norm017 | 152 comments Looking at the cover for the 1984 (Sphere) edition Charles carpentier's Flight One and I think that's the one. Now all I have to do is find a copy to confirm it.

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Sep 11, 2019 05:10AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1592 comments You can do some internal searches here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=M-K...

in the "From inside the book" search box.

It does contain the term "screaming aardvark."

message 5: by Norm017 (new)

Norm017 | 152 comments Thanks, that confirms it's the one I was looking for. Any way to get the Google books snippet view to display more than the first three search results?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flight One (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charles Carpentier (other topics)