Gay fiction/non-fiction discussion

Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 501 (501 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I thought I would get things started.

My name is Ashley and I am 21 years old, 22 in May. I am an out of the closet lesbian. I love to read GLBT related books, mainly lesbian romance novels. Some of my favortie authors are Julie Anne Peters, Augusten Burroughs, Alex Sanchez, Gerri Hill, and KG MacGregor. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

message 2: by David (new)

David (sfdavide) | 1 comments I am a gay man in San Francisco and love to read. Have not read many GLBT books. Any ideas what to read. I like both fiction and nonfiction especially biographies. We should pick a book to read for April maybe

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) David, check the groups bookshelf. You might find some books that you might like to read.

message 4: by Julleo (new)

Julleo | 1 comments Hi I'm a lesbian from San Diego, 32 and reading Lesbian Books helped me come to terms with my sexuality about 4 years ago...I know...late bloomer.

message 5: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinaraysaulis) | 1 comments Hey there. I'm a 23 year old butch/genderqueer lesbian from Maine. I don't read a lot of gay literature, but I love to when I come across it. It helped me a lot when I was coming out.

And Julleo, nothing wrong with a late bloomer. :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a gay man in Cincinnati and also love to read. I am involved with a GLBT book club in the area, so I am looking for book ideas and to share books read by our group. We are a new group. Our first book was Running with Scissors. For June, we are reading Alone in the Trenches by Esera Tuaolo. I highly recommend Esera's book. I added both to the group's bookshelf. I look forward to getting to know you all.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (therobinreardon) | 47 comments Hello! I’m surprised that I don’t see any other authors on this thread yet. And since I see that some of you are actively looking for GLBT books, I hope you don’t mind if I indulge in a little shameless self-promotion.

Both my novels have gay male protagonists. A Secret Edge (from May 2007, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/85...) is about Jason Peele, a runner who falls in love with a boy from India. It goes beyond your typical coming out story in that it ventures into areas such as Hindu philosophy, Vedic traditions, violence vs. non-violence. Essentially it’s about honesty and being true to oneself. Thinking Straight (from April 2008, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...) tells the story of Taylor Adams, a Christian gay teen whose parents put him into a deprogramming center to straighten him out. It’s a very positive story, and Taylor finds a way to be true to himself and to his religion.

You can see more about both books on my Web site, http://www.robinreardon.com, or on amazon. Or you can ask me anything about them.

As readers, what do you look for in GLBT literature, in terms of theme? Do you find that stories with lots of discrimination, taunting, and intolerance are old hat, or is that still something we need to hear? I have to say I didn’t see Brokeback Mountain, mostly because I’m tired of stories where the gay characters always come to grief. I want to write and read stories that show it doesn’t have to be like that. I think Brokeback Mountain was very important, because it brought this message to a lot of people who needed to see what happens when you try to force someone – including yourself – to be something they’re not. But now I’d like to move on.

Thoughts?

message 8: by Greg (last edited May 26, 2008 11:06AM) (new)

Greg (greglilly) | 4 comments I recently joined GoodReads and was glad to find this group.

I'm the author of two gay novels Fingering the Family Jewels - A Derek Mason Mystery and Devil's Bridge plus a historical fiction with a Navajo Two-Spirit character: Under a Copper Moon .

I agree with Robin that we have made great strides in the past few years and novels need to reflect that.

In my gay novels, I try to show characters where being gay is part of them, but not the entire definition. Coming out stories were great to let readers know that other people are having the same struggles, but now I like to read & write stories about people having struggles in everyday life and how biological families and families-of-choice encourage/distract the characters.

We're a rainbow of diversity (yes, I know that isn't original, but it fits so well) and our books should reflect that.

Please feel free to check my GoodReads page for the list of my books or hit my website http://www.GregLilly.com.

For those women looking for great reads about women, check out my publisher: Regal Crest Enterprises. The team there does wonderful work in lesbian fiction.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Greg! I organize a reading group on GLBT literature in Cincinnati, so I'm always on the lookout for good books. Any favorites besides the ones you mentioned ;-)?

Robert

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg (greglilly) | 4 comments Hi Robert,

Take a look at my friend Rick R. Reed's novels. He does horror/suspense.

John Morgan Wilson does great mysteries.

Jim Grimsley for literary novels.

I've read a lot of others, but those are the best in the categories -- of course, except for mine! ;-)

Happy Reading,
Greg

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Lynne and thanks for the recommendations Greg!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I just joined (and just joined goodreads as well). I go by the name of Carl, and I'm an 18 year old FtM transguy currently in North-East England, although I'll (hopefully) be going to uni in Scotland come September. Actually, I have an exam tommorow (what am I doing here? - oh wait yeah, I am the king of procrastination). I haven't read many GLBT books, I actually just own one that a friend sent me once full of short personal stories from GLBT kids. I do read a lot of slash fanfiction though...but I blame my friends for that. I was such a naive little thing before they came along. Anyway, just saying hi, and I'm going to go check out this group's book list now to see if something takes my fancy.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Welcome to the group Carl. I reccommend you read "Luna" by Julie Anne Peters. Its a geat YA novel.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the rec Ashley, I'll check it out. :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Carl. What is the name of the book you have? One of the first GLBT-themed book I purchased was Two in Twenty, which was a wonderful collection of stories by GLBT youth.

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose (daskaea) | 2 comments Carl: A wonderful book featuring transgender characters includes "Kitchen" by Banana Yoshimoto. Also amazing is "Confessions of a Mask" by Yukio Mishima. And the best is "Angels in America" which I highly recommend.

message 17: by Rose (new)

Rose (daskaea) | 2 comments By the way, my name is Rose, I'm a 21-year-old "queer/questioning ally" and live in Laramie, Wyoming.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Robert:
The book I have is called 'The Full Spectrum: A New Generation of Writing About Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, and Other Identities' and it's compiled by David Levithan.

Rose:
Thanks for the recs, I'll definitely check those out! :)

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  Hello, just joined. I'm 28 and married to a wonderful woman I met at Girl Scout camp 7 years ago. I'm a math teacher and I love to read. Looking forward to the discussions and recommendations here.

message 20: by Dimps (new)

Dimps Hi.I'm a 23 year old lesbian from SC. I love reading anything that has to do with the GLBT community.

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen (savanah) | 2 comments hi everyone looking for a good book i enjoy biographies and autobigraphies. not looking for coming out books are help coming out don't get me wrong they good books i've just gone past accept myself as a lesbain women and have been out for years so i looking for a good fiction or non-fiction story, or even glbt comics is there any comics with queer charters out there?

message 22: by Ted (last edited Jul 19, 2008 10:43AM) (new)

Ted (efcorson) | 414 comments Mod
Hi, everybody. I haven't been very active as Moderator of this group, but I hope to change that.

By way of introduction, I'm a 58yo single gay man. I love Goodreads!

This from my Myspace page:

"I'm an amatuer singer, pianist, composer (unpublished), music transcriptionist, gardener, optimist, and former computer programmer. I like humor, good conversation, reading, Broadway, philosophy, art, swimming, cooking, wearing jeans, going barefoot, swearing, being right-handed, and just hanging out. I've been out since I was 19, and I don't regret a minute of it (well maybe a couple of minutes!).

I get off on meeting interesting people. If you're artistic, that's fantastic. If you're into language, that's awesome. If you like asking questions, you're allowed. And if you like George Carlin and Monty Python, OMG holy shit yeh!"

Right now I'm reading Charles Casillo's "Boys, Lost and Found" a wonderful collection of short stories. I might never have known about Charles save for the fact that he "friend requested" me on Myspace (where he's pretty popular for a guy over 40 - 8,225 friends at the moment). I'll write a review of "Boys..." when I'm finished.

Best, Ted

message 23: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (heliumdesignco) | 1 comments Hey I'm Joshua! I'm 21 and I live in Illinois and I'm a graphic artist/student. I love the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. They are a delightful read. I also really enjoy Gregory McGuire, Anne Rice and assorted non-fiction. :)

http://www.joshuafuckingballard.com

message 24: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (dontyouaskme) | 27 comments I'm Jeremy. I love my gay fiction. I also love funny novels, like David Sedaris, Augusten Burroughs, and Dave Barry. Midwest guy here. Rawr.

message 25: by Gabi (new)

Gabi (treehugger) Hi! I'm Gabriella...Gabi. I was looking through these introductions when something struck my feather boa fancy. SLASH FANFICTION! is my air. aLso, I admit, I am OBSESSED with girl boys, transguys, and cross dressers.

R♥ A♥ I♥ N♥ B♥ O♥ W♥ Z! (rainbowdorks) | 2 comments HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Lola Pepper....Pep or Pepi. I'm just the same as Gabi but a tiny bit less obsessed with girl boys...BUT I LOVE TRANSGUYS AND CROSS DRESSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 27: by Gabi (new)

Gabi (treehugger) By The Way: I am 17 years old and bisexual and I have a friend who is named Lola. She is also 17 and a little older and she is also Bi.

message 29: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon_michaelsen) | 37 comments Hey, everyone! Just joined. I'm an author of gay-themed novels - and a fan of gay-themed novels (among other titles). Thought I'd shout out and say "hi". A fellow author suggested I join - so, glad to be here. Looking for more "friends" for networking, discussions, etc.

Jon Michaelsen
www.myspace.com/jmichaelsen

message 30: by Troy (new)

Troy Introduction!

Hi everybody. My name is Troy, and I will be 23 on July 24. I pretty much identify as a gay man. I like to read general fiction types of books and occasionally some genre. As far as LGBT books are concerned, I haven't looked at very many, but I did enjoy The World of Normal Boys and The Boys on the Rock. In French class last semester, we had to read A l'ami qui ne m'a pas sauvé la vie (To The Friend Who Did Not Save My Life) by Guibert. Definitely worth reading, although I don't find that particular book to be a good example of the kind of things I want to spend a lot of time on. Also, Running with Scissors was endlessly entertaining for me. I'm hoping to begin Alan Hollinghurt's novels soon, starting with The Swimming-Pool Library. Currently, I'm reading The Sweet Hereafter and The Bean Trees.
Does this group read things together? Or do we all just try and talk about whatever we happen to be reading?

message 31: by Ted (new)

Hey Troy. We talk about whatever we're reading, but the idea of reading something together is sort of intriguing.

Ted

message 32: by Ted (new)

Hey, Jon, welcome to the group!

Ted

message 33: by Ted (new)

Hey Gabi and Lola... great to have some young blood in here! Looking forwared to hearifn about your reads. - Ted

message 34: by Rob (new)

Rob (rob_kvidt) | 4 comments Aloha!

I live on the island of Kauai with my partner. We've been together for 7 years (living under the same roof for 5 years).

I came out late in life--in my 40's---and am catching up on all the books I missed while deep in the closet.

My favorite right now are the Mahu books by Neil Plakcy.

When not reading I enjoy my second home at the ocean (swimming, surfing, you name it).

Rob

message 35: by Ted (new)

Aloha, Rob. Thanks, for you've already introduced me to an author new to me, Michael Thomas Ford.

Ted

message 36: by Rob (new)

Rob (rob_kvidt) | 4 comments Ted, I'm glad to hear that. My favorite book so far by Michael Thomas Ford is, "Looking for It." The setting is rural New York and the book follows the lives of a group of gay men. I'll have to write a review.

Rob

message 37: by Ted (new)

Thanks, Rob. Yes, please do write a review.

Ted

message 38: by Sammy (new)

Sammy I'm Shaina, and I'm 13, and a lesbian.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I'm Anne from the UK - which is very dull and rainy at the moment, surprise surprise! I think we're into autumn now ...

I love reading - and writing - gay crime fiction and am currently having a lot of fun re-reading the Joseph Hansen Brandstetter novels, which I first read in the 70s when I was a teenager. Such a wonderful writer! Am on Skinflick at the moment - great stuff and the character is just soooo good.

My own two gay crime novels are A Dangerous Man (from Flame Books - http://www.flamebooks.com) and Maloney's Law (from PD Publishing in the States - http://www.pdpublishing.com). Both are also available on Amazon - though ADM only through Amazon UK.

Hugs to all!

A
xxx

message 40: by Phil (new)

Phil Williams | 8 comments I'm Phil. I live near Bangor, Maine and I read almost anything I can get my hands on. I love gay fiction but horror is my first true love.

message 41: by Ted (new)

Welcome aboard Gay Fiction/Non-fiction to our new friends Shaina, Roger,Phil, People, Ammina, April, Ludovic, Steven, David, and Zac. Hope you'll introduce yourselves as well as your favortite reads.

Ted

message 42: by David (new)

David Hello, I'm David; 27, partnered and living in Columbus, OH where I work as a chef. I tend not to read too much gay-themed fiction becuase I seem to get alot of the same story. Spending an afternoon reading of tragic lives and heartbreak isn't my idea of a great time, but I believe it serves its purpose. Some of my favorite gay novels are - An Arrows Flight, Kitchen, Skydiving on Christopher Street, All of Armistead Maupin's writing, Dan Savage's writings, and the Christopher Rice novels among others. I tend to read more books that have gay themes and placed within the regular literature section then what is found in the gay/lesbian sections. I'm always open to suggestions of new books so feel free to pass them on. Also, I'd be interested in meeting people that are in the Columbus, OH area to discuss literature, art, music and movies. Send a word if interested!

message 43: by Ted (new)

Welcome, David.. you've got some interesting reads there.. hope you'll be an active member of the group.

best, Ted

message 44: by April (new)

April (mostlyharmless) | 2 comments Hello, my name is April and I'm a lesbian from Maine. (lots of Maine folks here)
My favorite authors are Michelle Tea and Ralph Ellison. I love memoirs if anyone knows of any great GLBT ones.

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) April, you might want to check out "Prayers for Bobby" by Leroy Aarons. That is a good memoir.

message 46: by John (new)

John April -- have you read either She's Not There or I'm Looking Through You by Jennifer Finney Boylan, a transgendered Maineiac (Colby professor)?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group David! It is great to meet another Buckeye (I live in Cincinnati) on here. I agree with you that many of the books in the GLBT section seem to have the same storyline. There are some great recommendations on here of different stories. I think it is great that GLBT literature is expanding and our stories are becoming more complex and more mainstream in some ways.

message 48: by Shin (new)

Shin | 2 comments Hi! I'm Patricia, 16 (17 next year. :)) ) and living in the Philippines. I'm actually heterosexual but I enjoy reading GLBT so very much (I lean more towards gay novels, though). But I only have Boy Meets Boy, The Persian Boy and Death in Venice. ...anyone have happy-GLBT novel recommendations? :D

Hello everyone! :))

message 49: by Ted (new)

Patricia, welcome. You might want to check out the three "Rainbow" books by Alex Sanchez. They're not the literary quality of Death in Venice, but they're pretty fun accounts of the relatiosnhips between gay teen guys.

message 50: by Ted (new)

April, how about "Outlaw: The Lives and Careers of John Rechy" by Charles Casillo.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11