Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing & Publishing Resources > Questions about diffent kinds of synopsis

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Pyne | 12 comments So I'm starting the process of submitting my manuscript to publishers and I'm confused by what kinds of synopsis each publisher wants. I currently have a seven-page summary that details my entire plot, but some publishers ask for a one-page synopsis and I don't know if they mean to detail the whole book or just what one would find on the back of a book jacket.
Any advice is appreciated.

message 2: by David (new)

David Wilson | 105 comments Hi Jessie, I'm no expert but most people on this site seem to agree a blurb is about 150 words - this is what you find on the back of a book jacket.

A one page synopsis is exactly that - a one-page summary. I just looked at mine and in it I mentioned only 2 main characters and the major plot theme, managing to get it to about 3/4 page for an 80K fantasy.

Hope this helps.

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Pyne | 12 comments Hi David,
Thanks so much for the reply! Feel free to say no, but would I be able to take a look at your synopsis? My book is only 70K and summarizing it in 3/4 of a page seems like an impossible task, it would be awesome to have a point of reference.

message 4: by David (new)

David Wilson | 105 comments Hi Jessie I sent you a PM