BookCrazy discussion

Should we do group reads?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam | 16 comments Mod
Our tastes in books are all over the map, but group reads are a neat way to read outside our comfort zones.

What do you think?

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I think having group reads would be a good idea. I have read books that I never thought I would and loved them. It's the only way I would have read them. Like you said, it took my out of the comfort zone, but, more often than not, I was very glad I did take the scary ride.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam | 16 comments Mod
Cool! That makes two of us!

Shall we post some titles from our TBR pile and see if we have anything in common? I'd be okay with buying something new, as long as it's available in paperback.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 16 comments Mod
I looked at the TBR. I have a lot of Robertson Davies -- have you read him?

Some 19th century stuff:

Balzac -- Cousin Bette and Pere Goriot
Turgenev -- Fathers and Sons
Kate Chopin -- The Awakening
Arne Gorborg -- Weary Men

I also have some Edith Wharton, Evelyn Waugh, Armistead Maupin, Dashiell Hammitt.

A highly-recommended fantasy -- Silverlock by John Meyers Meyers.

A complex horror novel by Peter Straub -- Mr. X

I totally understand if none of these appeal to you. They've been in my TBR for years and there must be a reason I haven't tackled them.

message 5: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I like all genres, so I will go along with anything that the group decides.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 16 comments Mod
So far the group is just you and me, Andi.

I'll see if I can drum up some more interest.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura You may count on me also. My favourite genres are historical and contemporary fiction. Cheers...

message 8: by Nancy (last edited Mar 18, 2008 06:48AM) (new)

Nancy I read mostly fantasy and horror right now, but read quite a bit outside those genres and am open to trying something new.

Some new books I recently acquired that I'd love to read are:

Slammerkin, by Emma Donoghue
The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory
Fingersmith, by Sarah Waters
The Killer Inside Me, by Jim Thompson
Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson
Beautiful Lies, by Lisa Unger

message 9: by Sophiene (new)

Sophiene I'm in too, as long as I have the book. I have a trilogy by Robertson Davies I believe. Have just started in The Other Boleyn Girl, but I can put that on hold if we want to go read it here. Let me know what you want to read and I'll see if I can get a copy somewhere on Aruba. Thanks!
Sophiene

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan I'm here too Pam!

I will pass on group reads, though.

Suzz

message 11: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) What kind o books does Robertson Davies write?

Laura,

I like historical novels too. I like to read about the founding fathers, American Revolution, and Civil War the best. I really like any kind of historical novel. There is a book called "John Adams" by David McCollough. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but John Adams WAS a founding father. We could do Robertson Davies too, but I would still like to know what his genre is.

message 12: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco | 1 comments You can count on me, too. I especially like historical fiction (either American history, European history, or Middle East). Just let me know the title and I will join in the reading.

Readingmama (Rosalie)

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam | 16 comments Mod
My impression of Robertson Davies is that he writes about relationships -- he interjects a lot of personal philosophy (but not in a pedantic way). Most of his characters are university types, at least in the books I've read.

I like historical fiction too. I wouldn't mind reading McCollough's book on John Adams. I'm watching the HBO series about him now.

I wouldn't mind reading The Other Boleyn Girl either. I'd re-read Slammerkin -- loved that book.

How about crime fiction? Detectives and stuff? Richard Price's new book -- Lush Life -- is getting rave reviews.

message 14: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I haven't read any of those, so I am game for whatever the group decides.