Afraid of All the Things Book Club! discussion

Afraid of All the Things: Tornadoes, Cancer, Adoption, and Other Stuff You Need the Gospel For
This topic is about Afraid of All the Things
Question (Introduction)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Scarlet Hiltibidal (scarlethiltibidal) | 40 comments Mod
“I don’t know when you learned that you live in a broken sad place but I know you know.”

I learned that when my parents got divorced. When did you?

message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Styers | 2 comments I also learned, as a young child, around the age of 4/5, through divorce and a few other severely traumatic experiences, that the world was broken and that I am broken.

That brokenness I felt about myself and that I saw in the people around me just intensified the older I became.

Thankfully though, I had a few family members that loved me through my brokenness. I realize that not everyone has Godly friends or family to help them through that discovery of our broken world, which is full of broken people. So I do not take for granted how truly blessed I am, that those people were/are in my life.

message 3: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana | 6 comments My first notion of "bad" in the world was probably realized at a fairly young age due to my Aunt's ongoing battle with breast cancer. Being raised in a believing family though, this was always talked about and discussed in such a positive light. I want to say maybe my first real sadness was a friend moving away around second or third grade. My first encounter with brokenness may have not been until significantly later. I realize I was very stable, loved, and protected growing up, which probably made those rude awakenings more sharp to my naive mind and heart.

message 4: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Jen wrote: "I also learned, as a young child, around the age of 4/5, through divorce and a few other severely traumatic experiences, that the world was broken and that I am broken.

That brokenness I felt abou..."

Wow, Jen. I feel the same way about the people God put in my path. Can't imagine how my life might have turned out without them. <3

message 5: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Dana wrote: "My first notion of "bad" in the world was probably realized at a fairly young age due to my Aunt's ongoing battle with breast cancer. Being raised in a believing family though, this was always talk..."

That make sense. Thanks for sharing that, Dana. <3

Anne | 5 comments I learned that the world could be a cruel and unfair place at the hands of my abusive father. My mother made up for what was lacking in my non-relationship with my father, or at least she valiantly tried to. She was a saint, God rest her soul.

My father treated me as though I were an annoying nuisance. He was verbally, emotionally and physically abusive, he was a narcissist who cheated on my mother multiple times, and adversely affected my relationships with men for years to come.
Makes it super hard to love and relate to God as a loving Father.